Author Topic: Looking for info on my Grandmother Mary McFarland  (Read 891 times)

Aussiegirl6

Re: Looking for info on my Grandmother Mary McFarland
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2020, 06:05:04 AM »
Hi Tracey,
                Ask some kind person for a look up for the death notices for Thomas
                could lead to where he is at rest.
                On his death it says, Patrick Murphy, son-in-law also Thomas is living
                with them in 1911.

I search the marriage for Patrick & Mary, 25 Dec 1889.
               Mary address as 18 Clyde St but has father down as John Steenson
               Labour. Alive.      Also Maggie Steenson as a witness.

Found a Margaret Steenson born 8 May 1870, located in Ballyhackamore.
               She was baptised 15 May 1870 in St Matthews Church.
               Sponsors name “ look like “. Ed Steenson & ? Connolly “ might be her maiden
               or married name “.  It’s hard to know.

Billy.

Hi Billy,

I have been considering beginning a subscription to an historical newspaper site as I do have one included in my Ancestry subscription but feel it isn't adequate enough. Any suggestions?

I hadn't looked for Patrick and Mary Murphy's marriage record up to this point but just had a look now and saw that they mistakenly listed Thomas as "John Steenson".
It's definitely the right family as Clyde St has been provided as Mary's address.

Wow, Christmas Day weddings were pretty popular back then, weren't they? I've come across several in my short time researching.

Anyway,, I will now patiently wait for a reply from Milltown to see what info they can offer me.

Have a great day

Kind regards,

Tracey

wb54

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2020, 09:06:14 AM »
Hi Aussiegirl6,
                         There is a Robert McFarland and a Charles McFarland living in
                         28, 38 Josephine St who have signed the Ulster Covenant .
                         Search on the PRONI web site you might have more names.

In the early twenty’s there was a lot of trouble in and a round
                         St Matthews Church, with both side’s fighting.

Best regards,       Billy.

Aussiegirl6

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2020, 11:33:22 AM »
Hi Billy,,

What is the Ulster Covenant? I hadn't heard of it but
 I'll do a search now. Have just completed looking through the St Matthews Church records. They're definitely the family members of my Grandmother Mary McFarland Morgan as her address on her marriage certificate in July 1922 was 38 Josephine St.

Thanks so much for this new info thst I had no idea about.

Regards,

Tracey

wb54

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2020, 12:04:23 PM »
Hi Aussiegirl6,
                         The Ulster Conenant, was during the Home Rule just before the
                         First World War.   It would have been signed by mostly Protestants.
                         With the war starting, both sides did join the army and many did
                         not come back.

You could find address and the person’s signature on the forms
                         did find some of mine.

Hope you liked the church records.  You can check if any other county
                         has stuff.  Touching the big map opens more .

Best regards,    Billy.

Aussiegirl6

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2020, 01:02:17 PM »
I also found several of mine as well as the McFarland boys. Thanks for that as it was an event I knew nothing about.

I will continue looking through more of the church records in other counties.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Billy!