Author Topic: Thompson Place  (Read 265 times)

Crewe55

Thompson Place
« on: November 01, 2020, 05:19:25 PM »

Thompson Place (1911) Clyde Street to Thompson Street
I am trying to find where the Walsh family lived in 8 Thompson Place. I have tried searching old maps of Belfast but cannot locate Thompson Place. A 1910 street index of 8 Thompson Place gives me great grandfathers’ occupation as "patent still worker", so were they living nearby a distillery?
Confusingly, The 1911 census gives occupation “Stoker in Destructor” which I think was someone who fed rubbish into an incinerator? The address is still 8 Thompson Place, but it gives the Ward as Pottigen, Barony Upper Castlereagh and Parish as Knockbreda, so is this the same location as the Thompson Place listed in the Belfast Street index? Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Stinley

Re: Thompson Place
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 05:22:31 PM »
It's in the Short Strand. Somewhere roughly where Arran Street is now, if I remember rightly.

Crewe55

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 05:26:37 PM »
Thanks for that. Was the area rebuilt, either damaged in WW2, or demolished for better housing as the adjoing streets Clyde Street and Thompson Street seem to have disapeared as well?

Stinley

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 05:31:02 PM »
Hi,

I'm not 100% sure - someone else will know for definite, but most of the small streets in the Short Strand (aka Ballymacarrett (Catholic parish) or Pottinger district in terms of official data/censuses etc) were levelled. E.g. my family lived on Lowry Street, which was levelled and is now roughly where Bryson St and Seaforde St intersect. This was just part of the post-war rebuilding for better housing. Think it went in the late 70s or early 80s.

My grandfather's grandmother died in Thompson Place, I think, c. 1910.

There should be old maps on Lennonwylie, a very useful site - will help you place it better.

Stinley

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 05:33:03 PM »
PS what do you know... I've checked, and she died in 8 Thompson Place! Sarah Lundy, 1899 (got dates and person wrong). Small world.

Crewe55

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 05:49:54 PM »
Looks like my Great Grandfather, Patrick Walsh moved in after the Lundy family. See the two lists from Lennonwylie, first  1894 and then 1901

THOMPSON PLACE
Clyde Street to Thompson Street[/size]
   1. Thompson, J. & R., builders and contractors
   2. Braniff, Patk., joiner
   4. Mooney, Jas., labourer
   6. Ward, Hugh, labourer
   8. Lundy, John, labourer
 10. Heaney, James
 12. Bultitude, J., time keeper
 16. Thompson, Mrs. E. A.
 18. Nelson, Miss
 20. Black, W., boot maker
 22. Leonard, F., engineer[/size]
Thompson Place
Clyde Street to Thompson Street[/size]
   1. Thompson, J. & R., builders and contractors
                               __________[/size]
   2. Burns, Henry, carter
   4. Maguire, M., carter
   6. Gargan, M., labourer
   8. Welsh, P., patent still worker (Walsh in 1907)
 10. Gilmore, W. J., crane driver
 12. Gargin, Andw., porter
 16. Doherty, Wm., joiner
 18. Nelson, Miss
 20. McStravick, J., sea captain
 22. Bultitude, J., time keeper[/size]

[/size]

Stinley

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 05:52:06 PM »
small world!!

Sent me back to check again - as Sarah Lundy, as far as I know, was married to Patrick, of Anderson St, and then maybe widowed, but the Lundys were based on Anderson St, so not 100 sure who John is... possibly an unmarried brother. I'll investigate. Thanks!

PS

Sorry - checked - that's it. She was widowed 1885, living on Anderson St. Her son John, never married, is probably the John at 8 Thompson Place, 1894.

https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/images/maps/Antrim1902.jpg

this link takes you to a map of the area in 1902. Good luck!

Crewe55

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 06:04:00 PM »
I am finding it exceedingly difficult to trace family members from Belfast! I think my birth Father was a grandson of Patrick Walsh but was born just after the 1911 census. He will not appear on the 1921 census as all the Northern Ireland records were destroyed! I think he moved to London, so he might turn up on the 1921 records when they are released next year. I have the same problem with my birth mother, also from Northern Ireland, so unable to find any records of her movements.

Stinley

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 06:05:04 PM »
I have a genealogy subscription. if you give me some info, I'll do my best to track stuff down...?

Stinley

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 06:06:45 PM »
Was he called Peter?

Crewe55

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 06:26:22 PM »
Many thanks for the link to the map. I can see Thompson Place!
My father’s name was Samuel Walsh (which was also my name on my birth cert). I think he would have been born in the mid 20's. I was born in 1949 and adopted when just 3 months old. My mother, Mona Shannon was not married to Samuel Walsh. As happened in those times to unmarried catholic(?) mothers, I suspect I had to be given up for adoption?

Crewe55

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2020, 06:27:28 PM »
I have a subscription to Ancestry which has proved frustrating as it finds nothing after 1911. I did their DNA test which linked me to a 2nd cousin in the USA who shares the same (Walsh)Grandfather, so that is something. I shall keep looking for nearby council rubbish dumps or whisky distilleries as it would be interesting to know where Great grandfather might have worked.

Stinley

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2020, 06:29:03 PM »
Hi there,

I'll send you a private message with some links that might be worth following up.