Author Topic: Grove Primary school  (Read 333 times)

Willty

Grove Primary school
« on: November 09, 2020, 11:21:58 PM »
anyone out there who went to the Grove Primary School in 1960/1962,
I remember Dai Roberts,mr Currie who gave me a hard time when I told him that there were nine counties in  Ulster,
"Where were you born you idiot" he screamed at me,not in Ulster,but in Northern Ireland,boy did he go apeshit.

pete57

Re: Grove Primary school
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 02:14:33 AM »
anyone out there who went to the Grove Primary School in 1960/1962,
I remember Dai Roberts,mr Currie who gave me a hard time when I told him that there were nine counties in  Ulster,
"Where were you born you idiot" he screamed at me,not in Ulster,but in Northern Ireland,boy did he go apeshit.

yeah  you needed a good slap Wilty.. ;)   theres only one county ... In that old refrain. ' there's one fair county in Ulster with memories most glorious and grand ...its the county of ARMAGH !!   ;) :)

Alanzinhio

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 03:04:18 PM »
Me!

I went there in the late 60s. Can still remember most of the teachers. Miss Bell, Miss Kettle (she was bonkers) Mrs Hall (P3 lovely person) Miss McIlroy - a horror! Miss Park/Mrs Thompson, Mr Gribben and Gamble - two utter [censored] - Miss Mc Roberts and Mr Curry. The Head was that utter sadist McCallum and the deputy Head was Fergie - another piece of work.

Read the first chapter of Ken Brannagh's autobiography - he was in my class and left during the Gribben year. Lucky escape!

Willty

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 10:09:43 PM »
Alanzinho was Crazy Curry just as crazy in the late sixties as in 1961,didn't like the mention of the "other part " of Ireland,I didn't know we were part of a bigger island.
Was Dai Roberts still there,a good teacher,years later when I was a conductor on Ulsterbus his daughter was killed when she ran out in front of the bus and I met him at the inquest.

Alanzinhio

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 11:38:25 AM »
From memory, Curry was a bit loopy. He was a obsessed with getting the class to sing.

No mention of the 'other part' either! :)

Willty

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 09:35:36 PM »
Yes Alanzinhio
He seemed to be fixated on"Dashing away with the smoothing iron" when he wasn't ranting about "Ulster".
I told my dad about him and he said if he keeps on he will come and see him on his lunch break,(my dads) that would have been the end of the singing as Curry would have at least a broken jaw,mother calmed dad, I kept quiet I class ,
Went to Mountcollyer the next year.