Author Topic: Higgins Family  (Read 239 times)

[email protected]

Higgins Family
« on: November 10, 2020, 12:17:14 AM »

I'm also looking for information on my Dad's family please  here is everything I have.
John Francis Higgins
16 December 1929
county cavern ireland
Married 1954 Prescot
Catherine Christine Lenighan
She was born August 1934 ish in Lancashire England.
John Died June 1987 Manchester
Lancashire, England.
I believe these are his Parents but not certain
Michael Higgins Born 1900 Ireland
Married Monaghan Ireland 1928
Died in England no date!
Ellen Murrey
1908 County Claire
Ireland
Died 1974 Widnes
England.
Thank you.

Elwyn

Re: Higgins Family
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 12:44:43 AM »
John Francis Higgins birth certificate isnít viewable on-line. You would need to send off for a copy to GRO Roscommon if you want it. Hereís a marriage that fits the information you have given about his parents though:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1928/09076/5283299.pdf

Michael was a soldier in the Curragh camp so it isnít clear where he came from. I donít see an Ellen Murray born c1908 in Co Clare in the 1911 Irish census. There are plenty of other Ellens and plenty of Michaels elsewhere in Ireland so tracing them may be quite tricky. Ellen was living in Coolkill, Co Monaghan at the time of her marriage but there are no  Murray or Higgins households there in the 1911 census.  I am not sure what her connection with the townland was. Possibly she was just working there.
Elwyn

[email protected]

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 02:31:10 AM »
Yes I get lost because of all the similar or same names, i seen a connection to John Francis Higgins so checked it. It was information for Michael's parents, but looking further into it they were born in USA and had never left their whole lives! Ap could not have been correct! I tried finding the source, but couldn't! Its that kind of thing that tends to be confusing! You're probably right about Ellen and Michael i know at some point they moved to England, as that's where John met my Nan!
Thank you again for your help!

wb54

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 06:35:55 PM »
Hi Stefan,

Could this be Ellen Higgins?
                Searched her death.    reg, Liverpool June 1974. date of birth 13 April 1908.
                Went on to Irish Genealogy and entered name and year 1906-1910
                                  Ellen Murray, born 13 April 1908 Co-Cavan

John Frances Higgins , reg Dec1969 Preston. Born 15 Dec 1908.
                  Just the year of birth?????      Could only get bmd up till 1983
                 Let me know if they are the right people.  Will see if any more
                 are about.
                  Best regards,          Billy.

Elwyn

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 07:02:22 PM »
This looks to be Ellenís birth in Half-acre, Cavan town. The date matches perfectly with that given by wb54:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1908/01653/1659622.pdf

I think this is Ellen in 1911, staying with her motherís family:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cavan/Cavan_Urban/Breffni_Terrace/339544/[/font]

It looks as though her parents were expected to be there on census night but werenít. If you look at the actual return you will see both their names were deleted. Also a Bridget (10 months). So it looks as though Ellen had a brother Eugene and a sister  Bridget. (And there may have been more post 1911 of course).
Elwyn

[email protected]

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 01:03:03 AM »
All i am confident about is John Francis Higgins is my dads biological dad, he was born about 1929 in County Cavan i believe. He married my nan in England in 1954, they had 11 children and by 1973 my nan had remarried to John Buckley,
If I'm right then Johns Parents Were Michael Higgins and Ellen Murrey married in Monaghan in 1928, and Michael's Parents are James Patrick Higgins and Bridget Timmins from Dublin! Possible address 9 Thompson Cottage about1900, I found some details of a baptism i believe to be Michael through Church Records & maybe some marriage records that i can't make sense of the handwriting. But that's guess work going on what little information i was given for John.
Thank you.