Author Topic: Brick Walls - Smyth, Edgar, Williamson and Woods  (Read 250 times)

Maria ES

Brick Walls - Smyth, Edgar, Williamson and Woods
« on: November 17, 2020, 08:22:19 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I have hit brick walls on some strands of my family tree. Any help would be very much appreciated and valued -

1. My great grandfather Samuel Carson Smyth's (born 1856 Newtownards - married x4 times - last married to Susanna Edgar - my nan) father was Isaac Smyth. I have lots of info on Samuel but am trying to find anything I can on Isaac and/ or Isaac's wife.

2. Samuel Carson Smyth's last wife - Susanna Edgar was ( born 1866 Coleraine/ died 1936 Belfast) father was Thomas Edgar (1837 - 1 Aug 1901) and is father was William Edgar. Any info on Thomas or William would be wonderful.

3. My great grandmother is Sarah Henderson Williamson (28 Jun 1876 52 Brownlow street, Belfast - 30 Jan 1941 17 Springmount street). Her parents were David Williamson and Mary Woods. Desperately trying to find anything on David (who I think was born abt 1840? Killeyman???) /or Mary. I cant find anything on Mary - any help would be great.

Thank you for reading.  :(

Maria ES

Elwyn

Re: Brick Walls - Smyth, Edgar, Williamson and Woods
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 03:18:16 AM »
Here’s an Isaac Smyth death in Belfast in 1881 where a Samuel was the informant. Does the address (Crimea St) ring a bell?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1881/06453/4854814.pdf
Elwyn

JimG

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 09:56:13 AM »
My guess is your William could be below

Edgar in Tithe Applotment Books
Dunluce parish Co Antrim is about 10 miles NE of Coleraine Coleraine is the likely direct registrar check out the Dunluce Family
http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/antrim/tithe-applotments/dunluce-parish.php
Edgar, John Townland: North Ballyclough Year: 1828
Edgar, Robt. Townland: Ballytibbert Year: 1828
Edgar, William Townland: Ballytibbert Year: 1828
Edgar, Willm. Townland: Ballytibbert Year: 1828
The Tab is not that useful other than locating names as the originnal gices just names and valuation of land or building next would be Griffiths valuation and church records

Maria ES

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 11:50:42 PM »
Here’s an Isaac Smyth death in Belfast in 1881 where a Samuel was the informant. Does the address (Crimea St) ring a bell?

Thank you so much for helping Elwyn. Very very much appreciated. I don't recall the address coming up to be honest but I will try to explore it as a potential. The writing is very hard to read. Is there a transcript please? Not sure if any of the notes on the left are pertinent to the Isaac entry?[/size]

Elwyn

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 12:03:01 AM »
Date of death is 21st Jan 1881 at 129 Crimea St. Isaac Smyth, male, widower, 51, labourer, chronic bronchitis 4 months, certified, Samuel Smyth, present at death 129 Crimea St. The notes to the left are an explanation that there was an error over the precise date of death and the registrar has corrected it.

Isaac Smyth next door at 131 Crimea St in 1877:

https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/ccomplete1877.htm
Elwyn

Maria ES

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 09:25:58 PM »
My guess is your William could be below

Edgar in Tithe Applotment Books
Dunluce parish Co Antrim is about 10 miles NE of Coleraine Coleraine is the likely direct registrar check out the Dunluce Family

Edgar, John Townland: North Ballyclough Year: 1828
Edgar, Robt. Townland: Ballytibbert Year: 1828
Edgar, William Townland: Ballytibbert Year: 1828
Edgar, Willm. Townland: Ballytibbert Year: 1828
The Tab is not that useful other than locating names as the originnal gices just names and valuation of land or building next would be Griffiths valuation and church records

Thank you so much for your help Jim. I am so stuck on these lines of enquiry - any help is very much appreciated. Ok I will try and locate church records.  :(