Author Topic: Milltown Cemetary  (Read 1261 times)

gerald mc mullan

Milltown Cemetary
« on: December 10, 2020, 01:22:06 PM »
 :tomato: why do milltown cemetary charge  3000 to bury loved ones in a swamp?

Mondo

Re: Milltown Cemetary
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 03:53:28 AM »
Hi Gerard, just noticed your post. I'm surprised the lack of posts given Milltown's history. I grew up in Andersons Town (Park South) overlooking Milltown. Quite a few of my relatives are interned there. Can't say as I can answer your question but Milltown was renowned for it's paupers graves back in the day.
I believed the plot was in some bog land within the cemetery and stories of coffins coming up out of the ground and floating on the surface were quite common.

Dub

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 05:20:50 PM »
The bottom part of the cemetary ran down into the Bog Meadows. No wonder parts of it may have been waterlogged.
                                                                                                                                                All the best, Dub.
If you don't read the papers,you are not informed.
When you do read the papers, you are misinformed.  ( Mark Twain. )

Orior

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 05:40:11 PM »
:tomato: why do milltown cemetary charge  3000 to bury loved ones in a swamp?

Is your query regarding the price, or the location or both?

Might be some answers here:

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,59846.0.html

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Ballymurphygirl

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 12:08:23 PM »
The bottom part of the cemetary ran down into the Bog Meadows. No wonder parts of it may have been waterlogged.
                                                                                                                                                All the best, Dub.
The church sold that part to the wildlife trust it was those people who found bones etc that highlighted it was used  to throw babies & adults into for burial  I believe in that area of Milltown only God knows how many the new area of milltown is to the right of those bogs above it
The truth will set you free . I support Ballymurphy & Derry families Justice for the innocent

johnmc

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 06:02:04 AM »

my mum, dad and g/dad are buried in the lower end of the cemetery. just about opposite the military graves
         The grave was last opened in 1971  and was then sealed. No more
              to be interred in that grave. I think because of the water level in that area.  :hi:
[size=78%]                                  [/size]
                                      johnmc