Author Topic: LINDA NOLAN’S ILLNESS HAS SPREĀD  (Read 933 times)

tours

Re: LINDA NOLAN’S ILLNESS HAS SPREĀD
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 01:40:18 AM »
God Bless her...I remember the Nolan Sisters at their height of fame.
Cancer is a terrible illness.
I will say a prayer. 🙏
Terrified as she is, I hope she seeks and finds some comfort and meaning in the Faith she was brought up in.
If not, I will say a prayer for her anyway.

JohnKelly

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 07:15:41 AM »
God Bless her...I remember the Nolan Sisters at their height of fame.
Cancer is a terrible illness.
I will say a prayer. 🙏
Terrified as she is, I hope she seeks and finds some comfort and meaning in the Faith she was brought up in.
If not, I will say a prayer for her anyway.

:hi: I reckon this would be as good a place as any to discuss prayer and I read from your posts that you do a lot of praying and I have often wondered what the purpose of prayer was and if in fact it ever changed anything. There are numerous highly intelligent people who pray and maybe you are one of them but I never really understood it but given that I am not of the 'faith' maybe that's the reason.

I found this article which I read with interest but still didn't quite get it; I liked the bit about Guardian Angels because if there is such a being, then I've got to admit that I have had a good one who was very good at their job. :)

https://www.catholiceducation.org/en/culture/catholic-contributions/the-meaning-of-prayer.html

I acknowledge that each religion has its own definition of god and prayer, I selected the Catholic one.

With respect,

Cheers.

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 08:38:20 AM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/health/longawaited-medical-study-questions-the-power-of-prayer.html

God is reputed to be ALL - KNOWING ; and it is written that one's Life has been Predestined..

Therefor if you Pray for a sick person to be healed ; are you not questioning God's ALL KNOWING decision...

OR , do you believe that the DEVIL causes all illness   :sarcastic:
"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act" . George Orwell.

syriana

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 09:57:20 AM »
I'm an Atheist but I have a great belief in the power of positive thought.  I believe that if some people believe in a power greater than themselves - albeit a supreme being, diety, creator or supernatural entity - they are tapping into a well of positivity.  Therefore I respect entreaties/prayers made by true believers.
No answer is an answer.

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 08:04:02 PM »
I'm an Atheist but I have a great belief in the power of positive thought.  I believe that if some people believe in a power greater than themselves - albeit a supreme being, diety, creator or supernatural entity - they are tapping into a well of positivity.  Therefore I respect entreaties/prayers made by true believers.

I believe in Reality , and certain Conspiracies  ;)
"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act" . George Orwell.

syriana

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 09:02:04 PM »
  I believe in Reality , and certain Conspiracies  ;)

Thanks Bloomers - nice to see you admitting that you believe in conspiracy theories.  :)

Reality? I'm not so sure - In your case how do you define reality when the real thing's not enough?

No answer is an answer.

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 09:24:27 PM »
Thanks Bloomers - nice to see you admitting that you believe in conspiracy theories.  :)

Reality? I'm not so sure - In your case how do you define reality when the real thing's not enough?

Synonyms & Antonyms for reality .=========================.Synonyms.

actuality, case, fact,
materiality

Antonyms.

fantasy
 (also phantasy),
fiction,
illusion

James James

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2020, 12:38:10 AM »
Few if any of us know everything about anything, but even for those with no or uncertain personal faith/belief prayer can sometimes be a great comfort to them. 

tours

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2020, 01:59:57 PM »
:hi: I reckon this would be as good a place as any to discuss prayer and I read from your posts that you do a lot of praying and I have often wondered what the purpose of prayer was and if in fact it ever changed anything. There are numerous highly intelligent people who pray and maybe you are one of them but I never really understood it but given that I am not of the 'faith' maybe that's the reason.

I found this article which I read with interest but still didn't quite get it; I liked the bit about Guardian Angels because if there is such a being, then I've got to admit that I have had a good one who was very good at their job. :)

https://www.catholiceducation.org/en/culture/catholic-contributions/the-meaning-of-prayer.html

I acknowledge that each religion has its own definition of god and prayer, I selected the Catholic one.

With respect,

Cheers.
A good post John.
I will return to it, when I have some time.
In the meantime...
Father Mark Goring..

https://youtu.be/4qwCGUZqmjY

tours

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2020, 02:22:35 PM »
A fair minded post.

Of course there are many so called Christian's who couldn't tie the shoe laces of some very good atheists.

A positive outlook on life, is believing your glass is always half full rather that half empty.
You health, mental and physical, being your wealth.
As a practicing Christian who has seen and felt the power of Prayer and God, I would simply add spiritual health aswell.
That, as in the Christian Bible....
It has brought many great rewards, strength, hope, charity, comfort ...and so much more.
😇🙏
And ofcourse most of all, the knowledge and hope of an eternal resting place, after this short stint on this earth.
For very short it is.