Author Topic: Any remember a Laurel & Hardy themed restaurant...?  (Read 398 times)

daveshorty

Any remember a Laurel & Hardy themed restaurant...?
« on: December 20, 2020, 09:09:55 AM »
Does anyone remember a Laurel & Hardy themed restaurant on or around Castle St in the 80s or 90s? I vaguely remember being in it but no idea what it was called or where exactly it was. Cheers!

Ninox

Re: Any remember a Laurel & Hardy themed restaurant...?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 03:04:50 PM »
Yes, I think I know the one you're talking about - it was called Hardy's, and located on Fountain Lane between Donegall Place and Fountain Street. We used to go in there as a family for lunch if we happened to be in the city centre on a Saturday during the 1980s.

It had various large murals on the walls based on Laurel & Hardy films, and assorted memorabilia like pictures, lamps and figurines all over the place. I never did find out why the owners chose that theme.

Not a very large place - maybe about ten or twelve tables - but they did a decent fry as I recall, and put wee foil ashtrays down that looked like they were from Mr Kiplings apple pies.

It was still going in the late 1990s/very early 2000s, as I can recall going in there once with a certain girlfriend (who wasn't very impressed by the decor!) That must have been the last time I was in there.

Fountain Lane is still there, but all the older buildings on the left hand side were demolished in the early 2000s to build retail premises currently being used by Primark (and formerly by New Look).