Author Topic: Where was the picture taken?  (Read 4605 times)

Christopher

Where was the picture taken?
« on: August 13, 2006, 09:53:06 PM »
There's a picture on a "Your Place and Mine" site here of a tram and a large low loader with a  section of a Shorts Sunderland Flying Boat being transported through the streets of Belfast. Does anyone recognise the street? Would it be the Holywood Road at Strandtown?

EllCee

Re: Where was the picture taken?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 10:13:27 PM »
My guess is the corner of Bradbury Place and the Lisburn Road.  I think the sign on the bus says "Balmoral".

From the BBC website: After the blitz, production was spread out among several factories including two in Newtownards, two in Lisburn, a linen mill at Lambeg and the King's Hall at Balmoral.

The building behind the tram is no longer there, but the one behind the man on the right still is  .. (I think!) 
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

giannineo

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 10:20:10 PM »
Les,I would agree and could the building on the left be Moses Hunter's pub?

EllCee

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 10:35:13 PM »
Was that not on the corner of Donegal Road and Bradbury place.

In any case, that building on the corner of Sandy Row and the Lisburn Road, and the little cottage beside it, are no longer there.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

giannineo

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 10:38:24 PM »
Yes,you are correct Les.Was the little cottage a toll house?.Having been away for 31 years ,my recall is not brilliant.

EllCee

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 10:47:39 PM »
Yes,you are correct Les.Was the little cottage a toll house?.Having been away for 31 years ,my recall is not brilliant.

I'm not sure of the exact purpose of the cottage, but it was on the lines of a toll house.

I used to go to Inchmarlo on one of those trams.   :)

giannineo

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 10:52:22 PM »
Les,my mother recalls a toll house at the junction of Ormeau Road/Saintfield Road on the Church Road side.

EllCee

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 10:56:18 PM »
Les,my mother recalls a toll house at the junction of Ormeau Road/Saintfield Road on the Church Road side.

That's "Church Road" where the Belvoir Golf Club is?  And the junction is at Hampton Park?

It's not there now, G.  There's new housing/apartments.

giannineo

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 11:08:55 PM »
Know it well Les,me mammy lives there.

EllCee

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 11:15:40 PM »
I take it I'm correct?

I used to speak on radio to a lady, Irene, who lived up in your neck of the woods.  Her Mum lived near Purdy's Lane off Church Road.  As it's about 10 - 15 years since I last heard Irene, I don't know if either are still alive.

giannineo

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 11:21:01 PM »
Les,I will ask my mother re Irene etc.,as she may well know of them.
        My father's cousin still plays tennis behind Knockbreda Parish near to Purdy's Lane-not bad for an eighty year old.
        I used to have golf lessons at Belvoir for 6d on a Saturday morning in conjunction with school.

EllCee

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 11:26:15 PM »
"Les,I will ask my mother re Irene etc.,as she may well know of them."

Please do.  I can't give you any information as I have forgotten any I had.  I could look up Irene's callsign in one of my old log books and get her address in Scotland, but not just at the moment.

From what I rememeber, her Mum lived between the church and Purdey's Lane, on Church Road.  There are two bungalows there   I think she lived in one.