Author Topic: The Crumlin Rd  (Read 1045 times)

Jack The Kipper

Re: The Crumlin Rd
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2021, 06:49:26 PM »
Most of my time was with the Air Force both full time and part time, I also worked briefly with the Military Police (Army), never had much to do with the Navy other than when I stayed at Royal Naval House (Johnnies) in Sydney.

You live in a nice part of NSW, I was stationed at Williamtown near Newcastle for a few years and at one time owned some property in Wyoming near Gosford.

I belong to other Expat Forums and read the stories of people who are coming to Australia usually under the Skilled Migration Program and the hoops they have to jump through sometimes taking over a year is awesome plus they have to pay most of the costs which runs into thousands of dollars.

Not sure about you but it cost me the sum total of 10 and let me tell you, it was money well spent.

During my youth in Ireland I really did not see much of it and I really only have a basic knowledge of Belfast and its surrounds, I could catch the UTA Bus from Newtownards or the red bus from Cherryvalley/Ballyhackamore into the High Street in the city centre where I worked and that would be about it.

We went back for a holiday in 1999 toured the whole of Ireland, England and then up to Scotland to see the Edinburgh Military Tattoo.

Cheers for now.

John I just read your post and I notice that you were stationed in Williamstown RAAF base, you weren't by any chance there in November 1963? the reason I ask I served in the 1st Batt RUR and we were sent on manoeuvres to OZ for 6 weeks and we landed in above base and from there to Singleton Training camp by trucks, Phew!! who knows I might even have spoken to you.
God Bless Big Rosie up our street!!!

JohnKelly

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2021, 06:06:46 AM »
John I just read your post and I notice that you were stationed in Williamstown RAAF base, you weren't by any chance there in November 1963? the reason I ask I served in the 1st Batt RUR and we were sent on manoeuvres to OZ for 6 weeks and we landed in above base and from there to Singleton Training camp by trucks, Phew!! who knows I might even have spoken to you.

No mate, I didn't get to Williamtown until March 1965 but in my time there I do recall British Army Units arriving to participate in various combined exercises; they mainly came from Hong Kong as the military ranges in Hong Kong were not large enough to take long range artillery fire.

I have a few beers with a retired RUR bloke at our local RSL Club (Returned Services League) but he would have served in the 1980's which I guess would have been well after your time.

In your day the British Army had lots of local county regiments and heaps of overseas postings but alas no more and many of those regiments no longer exist; for example many of the Irish, English, Scottish and Welsh Regiments have been disbanded leaving only one infantry regiment for each country.

As a boy in Northern Ireland when visiting relations who lived near the Palace Barracks in Holywood I would take an interest in the names of infantry regiments who would rotate and I was fascinated by some of the names, one I remember was the Sherwood Foresters.

Best thing I ever done was joining the Australian Defence Force and it has stood me in good stead over the years.

Cheers for now.

Jack The Kipper

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2021, 07:29:50 AM »

Thanks for your reply John, on the subject of RSL clubs, when we finished our training in Singleton we move to Holsworthy army barracks for a fortnight and we were able to go into Sydney and we drank a few times in Bondi Junction RSL club, fantastic place...BTW when we moved from singleton we moved by train from Maitland to Liverpool and from there to Holsworthy by trucks, the train carriages we were on must have been brought out of the Transport Museum, and they smelt like it, we were half expecting Ned Kelly and his gang stopping it and robbing it...Great times!!
God Bless Big Rosie up our street!!!

JohnKelly

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2021, 09:14:49 AM »

Thanks for your reply John, on the subject of RSL clubs, when we finished our training in Singleton we move to Holsworthy army barracks for a fortnight and we were able to go into Sydney and we drank a few times in Bondi Junction RSL club, fantastic place...BTW when we moved from singleton we moved by train from Maitland to Liverpool and from there to Holsworthy by trucks, the train carriages we were on must have been brought out of the Transport Museum, and they smelt like it, we were half expecting Ned Kelly and his gang stopping it and robbing it...Great times!!

Yes indeed, your talking 1963, Australia was truly frontier land and still is to a degree.

When I was at RAAF Wagga in 1964 we were in nissan huts, 25 troops to a hut, then I went to Williamtown it was 4 to a room in a 2 storey modern brick building, today junior members have their own individual room.

The RSL Clubs are indeed magnificent,

https://www.baysoldiers.com.au/

balfor

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2021, 03:08:20 AM »
About 1946 we moved from 11 Whitewell Rd to 11 Oregon Street which was just off the Crumlin Road. I believe that whole area has been re-invented. Anyone know what I'm talking about please chime in. In attended Mitchells Primary School in Tennant Street before moving across the road to Edenderry Secondary School in 1949. We migrated to Brisbane Australia in 1951 on the P&O Mooltan arriving on the 21st March, 1951. Balfor.

balfor

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2021, 10:59:59 PM »
To-day, which is the 01/02/2021 is the day eighty eight years ago when my parents, Jack and Marion Shaw married at the Registrar in Great Victoria Street Belfast. Migrated to Brisbane in 1951 after surviving the Belfast Blitz [1941 and WWII. Now, sadly both gone to their reward, missed badly by their surviving children Lawrence, Patricia and George plus their many grand, great grand and great,great grand children. We owe them so much. Balfor.

JohnKelly

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2021, 12:27:01 AM »
To-day, which is the 01/02/2021 is the day eighty eight years ago when my parents, Jack and Marion Shaw married at the Registrar in Great Victoria Street Belfast. Migrated to Brisbane in 1951 after surviving the Belfast Blitz [1941 and WWII. Now, sadly both gone to their reward, missed badly by their surviving children Lawrence, Patricia and George plus their many grand, great grand and great,great grand children. We owe them so much. Balfor.

Yes indeed Balfor, as we get older we tend to reflect on our lives and those who have gone before us.

Regards and best wishes.

JohnKelly
Australia