Author Topic: Murder of Margaret Laverty  (Read 794 times)

Cb500x

Murder of Margaret Laverty
« on: January 04, 2021, 04:14:38 PM »
Bit of a long shot here but I was talking to an aunt of mine called Patsy Smith nee Laverty who is in her 90's.  She lives in Nottingham and has done since at least 1954 but was originally from Cape Street in the lower Falls.  She mentioned an aunt of hers called Maggie who lived in Garnet Street? who was attacked in her house robbed and murdered.  This would have been in the 50's or early 60's.  Does anyone have any details or remember anything about this as I would like to find a grave for Maggie as an act of remembrance.  Thanks in anticipation.

Cb500x

Re: Murder of Margaret Laverty
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 04:41:08 PM »
Bit of a long shot here but I was talking to an aunt of mine called Patsy Smith nee Laverty who is in her 90's.  She lives in Nottingham and has done since at least 1954 but was originally from Cape Street in the lower Falls.  She mentioned an aunt of hers called Maggie who lived in Garnet Street? who was attacked in her house robbed and murdered.  This would have been in the 50's or early 60's.  Does anyone have any details or remember anything about this as I would like to find a grave for Maggie as an act of remembrance.  Thanks in anticipation.

On checking this site, Miss Margaret Laverty appears on the 1960 street directory as living at 31 Garnet Street.

Bread Basket

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 07:27:04 PM »

Bread Basket

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 07:37:33 PM »

Cb500x

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 08:32:22 PM »
Many thanks for this.  I didn't realise this happened as late as 1971,I will pass this information back to my aunt and use it to try and find a grave.  She still is obviously distressed about this and thinks of Margaret all the time.  Probably one of the reasons why she doesn't visit Belfast anymore.  I
presume these cuttings are from the Irish News?

Bread Basket

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 08:54:34 PM »
Give me a few days and Iíll find out where Margaret is buried, plot number etc and location in the graveyard.

Not the Irish News... Iíve no access to that paper

Itís from Belfast Telegraph.

Cb500x

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 09:16:34 PM »
You're a star. I will then be able to get someone to visit the grave, place some flowers and get a photo back to my aunt  Many thanks for your investigative skills.

Bread Basket

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 12:18:24 PM »

Good morning,
As promised. Margaret was buried on Tuesday 4th May 1971 in Milltown Cemetery, Falls Rd, Belfast.
She is buried in grave NB-506-B.
When visiting the graveyard my advice is to ring a few days before and confirm when the Cemetery office will be open. The office staff may supply you with a map and instructions on how to locate the grave, which at times can be very difficult. If the office is closed then keep an eye out for the grave digging team. These guys know the sections of the graveyard like the back of their hand and will gladly tell you the location of the grave when you tell them the plot number.
Plot NB-505-B is located in Section 36 on the plan but best to confirm that with the staff when you get there. Also marked in blue is the location of the Office.
Good luck.

Bread Basket

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 12:50:53 PM »
This should give you a better take on the location of the plot in relation to the office.

Cb500x

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 07:43:43 PM »
Fantastic. 
I know exactly where that is and will get someone to visit the grave for me.  I live in Scotland but still have family who don't live too far away.  Coincidentally I would walk past this part of the site when I used to cut across the motorway from the Government Training Centre in Boucher Road in the 80's.  Once again thank you very much for your perseverance in locating this information for me and the family,

Bread Basket

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 09:53:51 PM »
Did you get the info in the PM?

danso

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 10:47:22 PM »
Your some pup bread basket :)

Bread Basket

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2021, 10:49:22 PM »
Your some pup bread basket :)

🐶🐶🐶🐶🤫😜

Cb500x

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2021, 12:38:34 AM »
I got the message in the pm.  Thank you very much this will lead to some interesting conversations with my aunt tomorrow.  Iím trying to write as many of the family stories down as possible before those that can remember are all gone.

Bread Basket

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2021, 12:41:08 AM »
Hope the conversation goes well.
Get back to me if you need more help.