Author Topic: Murder of Margaret Laverty  (Read 793 times)

Cb500x

Re: Murder of Margaret Laverty
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2021, 12:42:43 AM »
Iíve got a family story about a young boy crushed by a roller at Celtic Park on the Donegal Road at the turn of the century.  Iím not sure if it was when there was dog racing or it was the football pitch, the name would be either Brennan or Magee.  Do you fancy trying your detective skills on that one?

Bread Basket

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2021, 12:44:52 AM »
Give as much info as you have and Iíll do a trawl

Cb500x

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2021, 12:48:36 AM »
Will do.  Iíll get in touch with my mum in Belfast who mentioned it, hopefully she will be able to give me a few more pointers.

Cb500x

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2021, 12:33:27 PM »
From what I can gather the accident happened on the grass football pitch at Celtic Park not long after the grass had been laid.  The boy Jim Magee fell from the horse drawn roller and was killed.  He was my Grandmothers brother, she was born in 1912 but I'm not sure if this happened before or after this date.  Jim was about seven years old when this happened.

Bread Basket

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2021, 05:14:44 PM »

👍🏼

Cb500x

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2021, 06:14:42 PM »
Brilliant work Bread Basket.   I spoke to my aunt today and she never realised that her aunt was buried in with her mum and dad in Milltown and is very grateful for your help in finding this out.  The clipping regarding young James has now been put into the family history thanks to you.  I presume you are a professional genealogist from your detective work?

Bread Basket

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2021, 06:19:15 PM »
Brilliant work Bread Basket.   I spoke to my aunt today and she never realised that her aunt was buried in with her mum and dad in Milltown and is very grateful for your help in finding this out.  The clipping regarding young James has now been put into the family history thanks to you.  I presume you are a professional genealogist from your detective work?

I wish. No, Iím just a normal ďbod on the streetĒ with an interest in family history.

Glad to be of help. Give me a shout if there are any more queries.... eg, do you know where young James is buried?

Bread Basket

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2021, 07:04:37 PM »
This is the death certificate details of young James.
The cert can be viewed online from the GRONI site at a cost of £2.50.... credits will need to be purchased.

Cb500x

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2021, 08:08:45 PM »
Thanks you're a gentleman and a scholar.