Author Topic: Montgomery family - Enniskillen St / Pernau St  (Read 1144 times)

Debglos

Montgomery family - Enniskillen St / Pernau St
« on: February 05, 2021, 07:57:11 PM »

What do you want to do ?Copy
Hi everyone, curious newbie here.[/size]  [/size]Looking and learning at the moment.[/size]  Any Monty(s) out there or do you know any who could be related.[/size]

[/size]
I am from the UK but my mum & her side of the family are from Belfast.  My mum's maiden name was Montgomery & her birth certificate states that she was born at 20, Enniskillen St.  Belfast in 1934. Thanks to this wonderful site, I have found the Lennon Wylie directory but not anything for 1934.  I have found two Montgomery families registered for this St in 1932 but not the same house number.   ??? So could be relatives of my grandfather ??  I am aware that Enniskillen St no longer exists but thought I might find a pic or something on google but nothing!  [/font]

[/font]
Thank you to Bread Basket in helping me find 20 Enniskillen St, looks like my mum was born in the hospital and her parents resided with my Grt grt grt grandmother or older relative.  [/font]

Debglos

Re: Montgomery family - Enniskillen St / Pernau St
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 07:58:46 PM »
Sorry for lot's of posts.  Limited to character count.

My grandparents moved to the UK to find work and the children (young Monty and Elsie) were left to live with their granny. They grew up at 44, Pernau St with her.  I found confirmation she lived their in the Wylies Directory.  Also, before my mum developed Alzheimer's, she used to tell us stories about growing up there.  We visited Belfast approx 2010/2011 and went to find the house but the street had been modernised, it was still there, so not all was lost in memories. My mum came to UK at approx 11 years old, so possibly after the war had ended ??  My uncle said his granny died just shy of his 18th birthday, so I think she (Mary) may have passed around 1949

Debglos

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 07:59:18 PM »

[size=78%]

Debglos

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 08:04:23 PM »

Making an assumption that this might be your GG Grandmother at number 20 Enniskillen St.
(unable to attach copy of burial record)
Susan was 73 at the time of her death which could suggest GG or  even GGG Granny.👍🏼😳
Oh wow! Yes, it looks like this could be the address, It didn't state Lisburn Rd on the birth certificate.  You are amazing, I couldn't even find Enniskillen St!  My grandfather was Alexander Montgomery, born 1906 or 1907 (Census 1911 says he was 4 years old)  He married Annie Masterson (I have her side of the family details) from Ligonniel Rd.  My grandad, listed below (noted his father not living with them in the Census) was the son of Mary Montgomery. ( I don't know anymore about her, other than my mum and uncle loved her.  The written census states she was married for 23 years.  So not sure if Susan is my great grandmother or an aunt.  My grandparents had two children:  Alexander (young Monty) born August 1932 and my mum, Elsie born November 1934.

Bread Basket

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 10:02:52 AM »

[size=0.85em]16[/li]
[li][/size]

Re: Are you just starting Family History research?
ę Reply #411 on: Yesterday at 05:36:08 PM Ľ
[size=0.85em]
Quote[/li]
[li][/size][/font]

Hi everyone, curious newbie here.  Looking and learning at the moment.  I hope the below post is ok ?

I am from the UK but my mum & her side of the family are from Belfast.  My mum's maiden name was Montgomery & her birth certificate states that she was born at 20, Enniskillen St.  Belfast in 1934. Thanks to this wonderful site, I have found the Lennon Wylie directory but not anything for 1934.  I have found two Montgomery families registered for this St in 1932 but not the same house number.    So could be relatives of my grandfather ??  I am aware that Enniskillen St no longer exists but thought I might find a pic or something on google but nothing!  I wonder... who's house was she born in ?  She is no longer with us to ask & I don't know anyone from that side of the family to ask either   

Report to moderator    Logged[/font][/font]

Bread Basket[size=0.85em]Hero Member[/li]
[li]*****[/li]
[li]Posts: 2973[/li]
[li]

ę Reply #412 on: Yesterday at 05:52:05 PM Ľ
[size=0.85em]
Quote[/li]
[li][/size][/font]

Do you have any names for your grandparents, aunts uncles etc.
Any small detail will help. Donít dismiss anything

Report to moderator    86.142.101.105[/font][/font]

Debglos[size=0.85em]Newbie[/li]
[li]*[/li]
[li]Posts: 16[/li]
[li]

ę Reply #413 on: Yesterday at 06:23:12 PM Ľ
[size=0.85em]
Quote[/li]
[li][/size][/font]

I just replied & somehow lost it all, bear with me, I will do again in 30 mins.  Eyes need a break from the screen, been on it all afternoon

[li]*****[/li]
[li]

ę Reply #414 on: Yesterday at 06:24:40 PM Ľ
[size=0.85em]
Quote[/li]
[li][/size][/font]

Making an assumption that this might be your GG Grandmother at number 20 Enniskillen St.
Susan was 73 at the time of her death which could suggest GG or  even GGG Granny.👍🏼😳

51 Lisburn Rd was the address for the City Hospital

Report to moderator    2a00:23c6:1e38:b01:b84c:7f9:22d7:d7dd[/font][/font]

[li]*[/li]
[li]

ę Reply #415 on: Yesterday at 07:04:26 PM Ľ
[size=0.85em]
Quote[/li]
[li][/size][/font]

Oh wow! Yes, it looks like this could be the address, It didn't state Lisburn Rd on the birth certificate.  You are amazing, I couldn't even find Enniskillen St!  My grandfather was Alexander Montgomery, born 1906 or 1907 (Census 1911 says he was 4 years old)  He married Annie Masterson (I have her side of the family details) from Ligonniel Rd.  My grandad, listed below (noted his father not living with them in the Census) was the son of Mary Montgomery. ( I don't know anymore about her, other than my mum and uncle loved her.  The written census states she was married for 23 years.  So not sure if Susan is my great grandmother or an aunt.  My grandparents had two children:  Alexander (young Monty) born August 1932 and my mum, Elsie born November 1934.

[li]*[/li]
[li]

ę Reply #416 on: Yesterday at 07:07:31 PM Ľ
[size=0.85em]
Quote[/li]
[li][/size][/font]

sorry only aloud 2000 characters, so have to keep doing lots of posts.

My grandparents moved to the UK to find work and the children (young Monty and Elsie) were left to live with their granny. They grew up at 44, Pernau St with her.  I found confirmation she lived their in the Wylies Directory.  Also, before my mum developed Alzheimer's, she used to tell us stories about growing up there.  We visited Belfast approx 2010/2011 and went to find the house but the street had been modernised, it was still there, so not all was lost in memories. My mum came to UK at approx 11 years old, so possibly after the war had ended ??  My uncle said his granny died just shy of his 18th birthday, so I think she (Mary) may have passed around 1949

[li]*[/li]
[li]

ę Reply #417 on: Yesterday at 07:08:26 PM Ľ
[size=0.85em]
Quote[/li]
[li][/size][/font]

[size=78%]

[li]*[/li]
[li]

ę Reply #418 on: Yesterday at 07:09:58 PM Ľ
[size=0.85em]
Quote[/li]
[li][/size][/font]

trying to post census info about my grandad's family but it's not loading.  Not sure how to do.  ICT challenged at the best of times

[li]*****[/li]
[li]

ę Reply #419 on: Yesterday at 07:10:18 PM Ľ
[size=0.85em]
Quote[/li]
[li][/size][/font]

Evening meal time here.
Iíll get working on it tomorrow morning.

Just for future info. Enniskillen St . Originally it was called Jordon St. Not sure of the date change but will search.

Also take a look at previous Enniskillen St stuff

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/results.php?cx=partner-pub-2147458875638986%3A2837595630

Bread Basket

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 10:10:51 AM »
There is a possibility that these may be relatives, further searching needed.

Bread Basket

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 10:18:00 AM »
Confirmation of your Grandparents marriage.  you can apply to GRONI FOR A CERTIFICATE....not 100% sure of cost... about £8 but you would need to check.

Bread Basket

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 10:24:55 AM »
Definitely is the correct family at 44 Pernau St

Bread Basket

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 10:39:35 AM »
You may get the names of some relatives here, note the red star markers, Enniskillen St & Family in England

Bread Basket

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 11:19:37 AM »

(unable to attach copy of burial record)

Debglos

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 11:44:28 AM »
OMG Breadbasket! You are amazing, thatís them.  I recognise lots of these names.  One of the obituaries even mention Elsie and Alex (my mum and uncle ) xx canít get on laptop to read it all properly but itís definitely them! You have helped me so much 👏👏. A big massive thank you.  Will jump on later and have a proper look.  Think Iíve got the family tree bug!

Bread Basket

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2021, 12:17:59 PM »
OMG Breadbasket! You are amazing, thatís them.  I recognise lots of these names.  One of the obituaries even mention Elsie and Alex (my mum and uncle ) xx canít get on laptop to read it all properly but itís definitely them! You have helped me so much 👏👏. A big massive thank you.  Will jump on later and have a proper look.  Think Iíve got the family tree bug!

Probably more to come, but today is Saturday, Rugby & National Hunt Horse Racing may take preference 😁👍🏼

Bread Basket

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2021, 12:45:10 PM »
You may find other family members in the notices.

Bread Basket

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2021, 12:57:14 PM »