Author Topic: Orphanages 1940/50s  (Read 231 times)

[email protected]

Orphanages 1940/50s
« on: February 14, 2021, 08:28:51 PM »
Is there a way to find out which orphanage my Uncle would have been sent to? I always thought he moved with his dad to England after his mum died. She died around 41/42.
I recently found out he never moved with his dad and that he was in an orphanage, my sister vaguely remembers him telling us he had to wear a green uniform, and how they were beaten often.
He was born in Drogheda in july 1941, does anyone have any idea where he could have been sent? Thank you

Kathleen Donnelly

Re: Orphanages 1940/50s
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 01:07:47 AM »
Looking for a family who was sent to I believe Nazareth House. Two boys about 6 & 5. Family names Jenkins Jimmy and sorry don't know the name of the other boy.
They also had a sister Marie Jenkins but she was sent to a place in derry'. This would have been around war time.
If anyone knows how I would go about looking for the family. Who would one contact?
When will the innocent victims who were killed by HM Army be compensated by the British Government?
Justice for the Ballymurphy 11

wb54

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 10:22:11 AM »
Hi Stefanie,

I would think you need to find where the mother died, was it a hospital or was the place
                  belonging to the church?   Did the father have any other family living there?
                  May be he was coming back to get him.

Did a google search on orphanage Drogheda, not very good reading.  If you can
                  search on an old map of the area you might find something.
                  Also ask on Rootschat, covers all the countries.

Hopefully you will find the true.    Best regards.
                           Billy.

wb54

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 10:39:19 AM »
Hi Kathleen,
                    Is this the Nazareth House , up top of the Ormeau Road also what year?
                    Again, I think you would need to search for any orphanage in Derry.

If they have been adapted, then the names could have been changed.
                    The boys might be in Belfast, the girl married. I would still search for
                    them.  Good luck in your search.   Best regards,
                                        Billy.

Bread Basket

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 10:48:00 AM »

Kathleen Donnelly

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 08:37:54 PM »
Hi Billy, my Aunt told me she had to take two buses. Is Nazareth House still in use today? I don't think there would have been an adoption as both the father and mother were alive at the time. Father Jimmy Jenkins, mother Peggy Jenkins. So keep your eyes open you know how we all run across people when we least expect them. Mind yerself Kathleen :-\
When will the innocent victims who were killed by HM Army be compensated by the British Government?
Justice for the Ballymurphy 11

[email protected]

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 10:05:54 PM »
Hi Billy
Thanks for the reply, I have not been able to find much information on his mum i only know her name is Mary McCluskey from the marriage record to Joseph Mcgahan.
Joseph moved to England and married my Nan in 1945, he never returned to Ireland.
My Uncle Patrick Married and had children in Ireland, he came to live with us sometime during the 80s. Thanks