Author Topic: Death/marriage certificates for Skates/Gourley  (Read 129 times)

kmac

Death/marriage certificates for Skates/Gourley
« on: February 21, 2021, 01:49:42 PM »
Iím trying to trace my hubbys family tree. I thought I found the correct death and marriage certificates for his great great grandparents the trouble is the addresses match on everything but their ages donít. Is it possible that incorrect ages can be recorded on death/ marriage certificates?

Elwyn

Re: Death/marriage certificates for Skates/Gourley
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 05:50:56 PM »
You havenít given any dates so itís difficult to comment in detail but the further back you go the less reliable certificates are.  In the 1800s people in Ireland didnít generally celebrate birthdays and often didnít know how old they were. So ages were often guessed. With marriages there might be other reasons to give false information eg saying you were over 21 to avoid needing parental consent. And with death certificates the information obviously is second hand and so guessing the age was the norm.  I found one recently where a woman was given as 63 but her correct age (as per baptism and marriage) was 83. So 20 years out. No proof was required. The informantís information was normally taken at face value.
Elwyn

kmac

Re: Death/marriage certificates for Skates/Gourley
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 09:08:56 PM »
I have several dates but all are around 1860-1888. It makes sense what you have said as the dates on the death certificates and marriage certificates are completely different. Also on the 1901 census a persons age is recorded as 16 then on the 1911 census the age is recorded as 30? So itís just hard matching people with their birth records!!