Author Topic: How The Other Half Live ( in Belfast)  (Read 2515 times)

stickleback

How The Other Half Live ( in Belfast)
« on: February 25, 2021, 05:10:07 PM »

Remember when you were a kid. There was a dreamworld, which in my working-class existence meant places like the Malone Road and Cherryvalley. I used to cycle round those places on my old cheap falcon and wonder how anyone could ever afford to live there. Those big houses set back from high hedgerows in dark, leafy avenues.

Where were your dream places as a kid in Belfast. ?

Did they remain aloof ?

JohnKelly

Re: How The Other Half Live ( in Belfast)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 11:31:22 AM »
I spent a lot of time in Cherryvalley, never saw any flegs, painted kerbs or bonfires, I guess that was how the other half lived.

allymac

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 12:05:29 PM »

Remember when you were a kid. There was a dreamworld, which in my working-class existence meant places like the Malone Road and Cherryvalley. I used to cycle round those places on my old cheap falcon and wonder how anyone could ever afford to live there. Those big houses set back from high hedgerows in dark, leafy avenues.

Where were your dream places as a kid in Belfast. ?

Did they remain aloof ?
I lived in the Hammer and loved it.Dream places to me were places like Woodvale Park and the old Glencairn area where there were trees and grass.Loved the walk from my house up to Ligoniel via Glencairn then home via the Crumlin Rd.Happy days ;)
Support all our servicemen and women either at home or abroad.

allymac

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 12:07:18 PM »
I spent a lot of time in Cherryvalley, never saw any flegs, painted kerbs or bonfires, I guess that was how the other half lived.
I take it that was many a year ago.
Support all our servicemen and women either at home or abroad.

Number26

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 03:18:31 PM »
Still walk my dog around gilnahirk and cherry valley,place that never really appealed to me,the castlereagh hills were great places to roam as a youngster,brilliant place to build a house🤗

pete57

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 10:12:17 PM »

and countless politically biased documentaries ago.  eh ?   ;) :)

stickleback

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 08:46:23 PM »
I lived in the Hammer and loved it.Dream places to me were places like Woodvale Park and the old Glencairn area where there were trees and grass.Loved the walk from my house up to Ligoniel via Glencairn then home via the Crumlin Rd.Happy days ;)

This is what I meant ally. I made a bit of a horlicks of the original post. I think most of us had a dream to live somewhere nicer as kids, even if it was only a mile down the road. ;)

The asking 'if you made it' bit was a bit of a pig's ear.

tours

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 12:21:25 AM »
Why? Has it changed?
I still dont see many painted kerb stones, flegs or bonfires.

tours

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 12:43:01 AM »
Still walk my dog around gilnahirk and cherry valley,place that never really appealed to me,the castlereagh hills were great places to roam as a youngster,brilliant place to build a house🤗
Why did they not appeal to you?

Number26

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 04:32:13 PM »
Itís my personal preference to live in the place that I raised my family and have all my memories,both happy and sad.

stickleback

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 07:57:34 PM »
Itís my personal preference to live in the place that I raised my family and have all my memories,both happy and sad.

Can't knock that, 26.

Home is where the heart is  ;)

Anne Black

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 08:29:14 PM »
I heard people talk about Cherry Velley and the Malone Rohed, where they had bay windows according to legend. But coming from the other side of town I would get all wide eyed while sitting upstairs on the bus from Belfast to Gelngormley as we passed all the 'big houses' on the Antrim Road.

Especially in the winter time around or just after dusk when many would have the lights on and the curtains not yet drawn, so you got to look into their lounges and dining rooms. Always especially beautiful at Christmas when the decorations went up. I never had any real desire to live there though. There are still many beautiful houses in the area but the magic of the upstairs of a double decker bus is missing these days.

pete57

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2021, 01:26:18 AM »
I heard people talk about Cherry Velley and the Malone Rohed, where they had bay windows according to legend. But coming from the other side of town I would get all wide eyed while sitting upstairs on the bus from Belfast to Gelngormley as we passed all the 'big houses' on the Antrim Road.

Especially in the winter time around or just after dusk when many would have the lights on and the curtains not yet drawn, so you got to look into their lounges and dining rooms. Always especially beautiful at Christmas when the decorations went up. I never had any real desire to live there though. There are still many beautiful houses in the area but the magic of the upstairs of a double decker bus is missing these days.
ah ! upstairs on a double decker bus ...what memories ...I will leave it there .   ;) :)

Number26

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2021, 10:03:02 AM »
What happened on a double decker bus stayed on a double decker bus.....or on the floor😉

jillyfred

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2021, 12:15:22 PM »
I wish they had kept the trams and the trolley buses.
Great memories of both.

jilly