Author Topic: How The Other Half Live ( in Belfast)  (Read 2518 times)

Anne Black

Re: How The Other Half Live ( in Belfast)
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2021, 12:24:35 AM »
I wish they had kept the trams and the trolley buses.
Great memories of both.

jilly
Hi jillyfred,I don't remember the trams but I do remember being on the Number 10 trolley bus that went from the city centre (I think it started outside Hoggs near the City Hall but not sure now) as far as the bus terminus beside the Throne Hospital on the Whitewell Road and seeing them all assembled in town when we were in Belfast. It was sad when they finally went. I have a notion the Number 10 route was the last one to go, but I could well be wrong about that.

JohnKelly

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2021, 04:10:35 AM »
ah ! upstairs on a double decker bus ...what memories ...I will leave it there .   ;) :)

On the topic of How The Other Half Live (in Belfast) - I don't think I would want to live upstairs on a double decker bus.

Kim-jung-ill

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2021, 07:17:19 AM »
Was good enough for Cliff Richard one summer.
DEFUND THE BBC !!!

jillyfred

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2021, 02:39:20 PM »
Was good enough for Cliff Richard one summer.
===
Loved that Movie Kim-would have loved to have been able to go on that bus!!!

jillyx

jillyfred

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2021, 02:58:34 PM »
Hi jillyfred,I don't remember the trams but I do remember being on the Number 10 trolley bus that went from the city centre (I think it started outside Hoggs near the City Hall but not sure now) as far as the bus terminus beside the Throne Hospital on the Whitewell Road and seeing them all assembled in town when we were in Belfast. It was sad when they finally went. I have a notion the Number 10 route was the last one to go, but I could well be wrong about that.
===
I was 9 when the trams stopped Anne.

The No.10 Trolley Bus was one I was often on as I had relatives who lived in Whitewell Crescent.

It did go from Hoggs in Wellington Place-up from the City Hall.

I got off at the bottom of the Whitewell Road and always called into Pootsie`s American Soda Bar for fish/pastie suppers to take  up to my Auntie`s,or just to play the jute box and have a flavoured ice!
I often went to the Troxy Cinema on York Street and the Lido Cinema on the Shore Road via the No.10!!
If you came from that area perhaps you remember these places.

henry irwin

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2021, 03:53:09 PM »
fond memories of pootsies.met & dated a few young girls there , hung out with the motorcycle crowd .

Anne Black

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2021, 10:11:42 PM »
===

The No.10 Trolley Bus was one I was often on as I had relatives who lived in Whitewell Crescent.

I got off at the bottom of the Whitewell Road and always called into Pootsie`s American Soda Bar for fish/pastie suppers to take  up to my Auntie`s,or just to play the jute box and have a flavoured ice!
I often went to the Troxy Cinema on York Street and the Lido Cinema on the Shore Road via the No.10!!

Hi jillyfred,
I do remember all of those places, and being in Pootsies American Soda Bar (I'd forgptten it was called Pootsies) and the Lido. I remember the Troxy but don't recall ever having been in it.
Pootsies had that semicircle of glass brick windows, didn't it? I thought it was very exotic to go in there because it had a jukebox and you could get different flavoured milk shakes (I think that's what I had). Often went to the Lido. I remember going there with some girlfriends to see "Help" when it came out and recall all the screaming (it was awful but I had to pretend it was wonderful lol). I think that was my first cinema outing without an adult accompanying us.

Do you remember the Grove Theatre too? My mother took us there to see Patricia Mulholland's Irish Ballet and I was transported to a different world. I think they did an annual performance there and I got to see most of them. Probably have all the programmes among u souvenirs somewhere. Years later one of Patricia Mulholland's pupils was my daughter's Irish dancing teacher and I got so much pleasure out of going to the festivals then too.

Did you go to the Grove Baths as well?

tours

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2021, 07:38:29 AM »
===

Did you go to the cinema facing beechmount?
Can you remember its name?
Was there one in the Shortstrand?
Did you visit the one at the top of the Newlodge?

stickleback

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2021, 07:50:35 PM »

You sound like a good new poster, Anne Black  ;)

trainfield16

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2021, 08:45:43 AM »
Did you go to the cinema facing beechmount?
Can you remember its name?
Was there one in the Shortstrand?
Did you visit the one at the top of the Newlodge?
Do you mean The Lyceum top of New Lodge Road?  wonder of it is still there...remember seeing Debbie Reynolds Gene Kelly etc Singin in the Rain, wonderful film, way back in the fifties.  :)

Bread Basket

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2021, 10:04:16 AM »
Do you mean The Lyceum top of New Lodge Road?  wonder of it is still there...remember seeing Debbie Reynolds Gene Kelly etc Singin in the Rain, wonderful film, way back in the fifties.  :)

Itís long gone Geraldine, bombed and burnt out 1970,,,, my bro in law was on one of the fire engines from Whitla St 😉

henry irwin

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2021, 01:56:42 PM »
 is that not the coliy same, in rome

Kim-jung-ill

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2021, 09:27:20 AM »
It is indeed Henry, well spotted, i mind me granny telling me that as a young girl she would go on a Sunday to watch the local Christians take on the Gladiators and lions brought down for the day from Belvue. Happy days.
DEFUND THE BBC !!!

henry irwin

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2021, 12:15:51 PM »
 they brought penguins to. but the lions couldn't get the silver paper off.

henrycluney

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2021, 10:27:19 PM »
Grew up on the Oldpark then Shore Road and must say I never wanted to live in the fancy places.Still don't.
Mon Norn Iron!!