Author Topic: Can anyone identify this house / street?  (Read 1234 times)

Eamann

Can anyone identify this house / street?
« on: March 01, 2021, 10:11:59 PM »

Can anyone identify this house / street? It may well be in the area around Great George Street. The photo dates from 1967.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Researching:
- O'Rourke, Beggins, O'Kane, Cush(naghan), Magee and Moore
- Barrack St, lower Falls, Frederick St, St. George's St, N. Queen St

wavey davey

Re: Can anyone identify this house / street?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 04:30:00 PM »
Looks like Gallagher's Tobacco Factory in the background

https://www.geograph.ie/photo/2345697

wavey davey

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 04:38:07 PM »
this image from Henry st

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.6081342,-5.9271306,3a,75y,24.65h,107.62t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKEYsEo3MfdUp7k_OrPhYZg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Looking at old maps it could be Great George St as there are entrances to 'Yards' dotted along the street.

wavey

wavey davey

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 08:45:49 PM »
It could be one of these houses on Great George St between Michael St and Union Place. from Lennon Wylie.  https://lennonwylie.co.uk

...here is Michael Street[/size]
 61. Meighan, Mrs. Mary[/size]
 63. Cardwell, Mrs. Mary[/size]
 65. Dunlop, James (N.I.), Ltd., dairy engineers[/size]
65a. Miller, Alex., labourer[/size]
65b. Liddy, Samuel, labourer[/size]
 ...here is Union Place[/size]

Eamann

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 09:24:36 AM »
Thank you very much for going to the trouble of replying and my apologies for not having answered more quickly.[/size]

I'm impressed that you pinpointed Great George Street just on the basis of the photo! Let me fill you in on the background and perhaps you may be able to refine your comments.

The photo was taken in Sept. 1967 by a great-aunt of mine called Molly Magee. She was born in 1901 in what was then the St. Vincent de Paul Boys Home in 63 Great George Street. Her parents George and Teresa Magee ceased to run the Home in 1910 and in 1919 Molly emigrated to Detroit. Her trip to Belfast in 1967 was the first time she had come back to Ireland since 1919. The photo dates from 1967 but Molly’s references date back to the beginning of the century.

In 1914 Molly left school (the Stella Maris / Morning Star) at the age of 13 and began to work as a stitcher making handkerchiefs but at some point she then went to work in Gallagher’s Tobacco Factory.

On the back of the photo which I published she wrote "(Word) little house". The word is perhaps a name, like N ? I L S. She was referring perhaps to a neighbour or a friend. Molly wrote an account of her childhood but it contains no reference to "N?ils".

Even if you are not able to help me any further I am very grateful for what you have been able to tell me.

PS.    I have a photograph of Molly standing in front of 63 Great George Street. She remarks that next door "the Painters Hall is a mess, windows all broken".
Researching:

Eamann

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 11:33:17 AM »
A cousin who was brought up in that area of Belfast has just told me that the photo of the little house appears to have been taken in the section of Great George St. running from York Street to North Queen Street. The red brick building that can be seen through the arch is York Street Mill. There were a number of similar 'little' houses in Belfast.
Researching:

wavey davey

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 11:57:08 AM »

Yes, I can see on the Birth registration for  Mary Theresa Magee born 24 May 1901 to George Magee a Manager, and Theresa White @63 Great Georges St.

Street directories for 1899 and 1900 @ 63 GGS St Vincent de Paul Home for Boys George Magee superintendent

In the 1901 census George records two sons , George 8 yrs and Michael 4 yrs

In 1901 for number 63 occupancy remains unchanged but next door at 65a is a Mrs O’Neill Ladies Nurse she is resident there at least till 1912.

Eamann

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 12:42:47 PM »
Thank you.

Molly wrote a very honest and touching account of her childhood and youth in Belfast and of life in the Boys Home. Life was hard...
Researching:

Bread Basket

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 02:16:49 PM »
Neil’s little house ?????
Or
O’NEILS little house ????

Bread Basket

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 02:20:19 PM »

Eamann

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 02:37:25 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion to post on Sailortown.
Researching:

Bread Basket

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 02:39:01 PM »
I’m on the hunt at the moment for a pic of SDP in Gr George’s St.... have seen it before, just trying to find where 🤔

Eamann

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2021, 03:00:47 PM »
Oh, that would be great if you could find it! As I said above, I have a photo from 1967 of my grand-aunt standing in front of the house where it used be, but a photo of the Home when it was in operation would be much better![/font]

[/font]
This is what Molly had to say about the Home: "At that time my family was living in and operating a boys Home in a big house in Belfast, in 63 Great George’s Street. The home had as many as 30 boys. [/font]

[/font]
There were three big dormitories with single beds, three tubs and washbasins and sundry toilets were also on the second floor along with a storage area where kitchen supplies were kept. I was only allowed upstairs in the dorm area when someone was up their cleaning. I used to try to sneak a peak from time to time and got slapped if I got caught. [/font]

[/font]
There were two separate bedrooms upstairs that were used as a hospital infirmary if and when any of the boys got sick. The upstairs was unheated as was the custom in those days. [/font]

[/font]
The kitchen had a great big range with two big ovens either side of it where my mother (who was only as big as your thumb) did all the cooking for the boys. The boys helped with the cooking by cleaning vegetables and peeling potatoes and the like and helped out with the cleaning. [/font]

[/font]
Every night they had to polish their shoes and leave everything tidy. In the morning they would go off to the Catholic school across the street in a straight line, two by two."[/font]

[/font]
I'm not sure that the school was just across the street. I think she may have been referring to the CBS in Hardinge Street.[/font]
Researching:

Bread Basket

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2021, 03:05:48 PM »
No Eamann,
She was spot on about the school.... it was not Hardinge St ( that was too far)
It was more than likely the school in Lancaster St.... otherwise the next nearest would have been Earl St  😉

Eamann

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2021, 03:15:29 PM »
Thank you very much for that clarification! I must sit down and study the Belfast Street Directory for Great George Street for 1910 to visualise the relationship between the Boys Home and the rest of the street.

This is what Molly had to say about her own school (she imagines that she is talking to her best friend, whom she has not seen for more than 50 years): "I first remember walking to school with you and your little sister (Rosie). You had to pass by the house I lived in (63 Great Georges Street) to get to the school (Star of the Sea) about a mile away. There were other schools closer but this was the one we went to, “the nicer” children went there, the ones who had enough to eat and decent clothes to wear.[/size] [/size]

[/size]
Researching: