Author Topic: Clare Family  (Read 159 times)

Jules24

Clare Family
« on: March 24, 2021, 02:52:18 PM »
Hello all I'm new to this and currently researching my mother's family. The large family sur-name was CLARE from the Shankill Road, EMERSON STREET where several family members lived at various address and CONISTON STREET. Also SPRUCE STREET Donegal Pass. Anyone recognise the name or have any old photos.  Thank you

JimG

Re: Clare Family
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 02:48:31 PM »
Hi Jules, welcome to the forum. Your initial information shows to me you have connected Robert Clare an iron turner who died very young aged 28 from lung trouble on 8.2.1900 of Emerson St,  to James Clare  his brother of 20 Coniston St who I think was also a turner,source www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/  and later William Clare a shipwright in Spruce St eg 1943 .[lennonwylie]  So you have already done well.  So I assume you have a family tree starting with?  do you want more help with it.?[/font][/color]
I wondered about their parents eg this is an unlikely one, a James Clare location unknown 1831 a bombardier 11th Belfast? Artillery son of a Phillip Clare location unknown m Sarah Patterson at St Annes cathedral 1868 m Sarah Patterson[/font][/color]
I then I wondered about the 1901 census http://www.census.nationalarchives.iewith Mother and son born in Co Down[/font][/color]
Clare   Mary   63 Emerson Street    Shankhill        Antrim            65       F[/font][/color]
Clare   George            63 Emerson Street    Shankhill        Antrim            25 son            M[/font][/color]
 [/font][/color]
there are 28 Clare burials recorded in https://dof.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/  including mostly city cemetery plus  5 are in Roselawn, 1 Dundonald[/font][/color]
The Ulster Museum has a collection of photographs that might include some of the street mentioned , indeed so does the Ulster Folk and transport museum. I f you havenít tried the forum search engine try each street in the top right hand option search box good luck JimG[/font][/color]