Author Topic: Tilley Street  (Read 219 times)

mdcuk70

Tilley Street
« on: March 25, 2021, 06:22:27 PM »
Hi.

My Grandfather was born in Tilley Street in the 1920's- behind the Magistrates Court on Crumlin Road. I know these streets are now all gone but I was wondering if there are any old photographs. I was also curious as to where he might have gone to school - I know his religion was Presbyterian.

Thank You!

Dee

Bread Basket

Re: Tilley Street
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 07:46:17 PM »
Good evening Dee and welcome to the Forum. If you care to share some details of your grandfather then some of the folk on here may be able to add to your research.
Please see a map of the area in 1920. Your Grandfather probably went to either of the schools marked on the map. The school marked with the red circle was a National School but it looks like there was another school, blue circle, which joined onto a Presbyterian Church so chances are thatís where he went. Looks like he fell out of bed and in school within 1 minute 👍🏼😁

mdcuk70

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 10:37:14 PM »
Hi Bread Basket,

Thank you for the map - my Grandfather's name was Thomas Dunseath Armstrong .. I think he dropped the Dunseath however, as he was born before his mother and father married. Dunseath was his mother's maiden name. His father was Christopher Armstrong.

My Granny was also from Belfast but I think the New Lodge Road area in Lebanon Street. Her family name was Smylie.

I have a Great Grandmother, Jemima Watson- Dunseath who owned a cake shop on Conlig Street with her second husband Robert Rock.

I believe none of these streets exist anymore  ::)

I'm quite often in Belfast - I have traced my family back quite far but I feel like I don't have a sense of what life was like back then.

Bread Basket

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 11:16:17 AM »
I presume you have all these details?

Looks like Jemima is buried with her 2 husbands & 2 sons, very sad

She died when living at 14 Ship St, 150 yards from where I was born, my Granny may have known her.😜

Bread Basket

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 11:32:42 AM »

mdcuk70

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 12:30:54 PM »
Thank you so much Bread Basket - I greatly appreciate your help. I was brought up by my grandparents Tommy & Margaret (Ruby) Armstrong in England - I was in the process of moving over to NI before all this Covid 19 started. My family are all dotted along the NW Coast waiting for me to join them.

I have been to Dundonald Cemetery a couple of times as my great grandfather Christopher is also buried there, and my grandfather's ashes were sprinkled on his father's grave when he died in 1993.  Incidentally, Christopher Armstrong's father was also called Christopher - so I'm wondering if the newspaper clipping above might be him. I'd love to know what it was he was told that would be to his advantage. There's a lot of Christophers in my ancestry - My Grandfather had an older brother called Christopher who died aged about 3-4 (I don't know how), and even a sister called Christine.

Jemima Dunseath - Rock was 20 years younger than Robert Rock when she married him - they had about 12 children between them from previous marriages - my great grandmother, Ann Jane being the oldest. They went on to have a couple more children together, I believe they all helped out in and around the bakery. I heard that Robert Rocks first wife Rebecca Starrs died in childbirth - after researching the family .. I can't find any information that they were even married - on one of the Censuses it actually says servant next to her name.

:)

Bread Basket

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 12:39:57 PM »
Looks like Rebecca was married to Thomas Starrs, Robert Rock was present at death in Conlig St.

mdcuk70

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 12:44:27 PM »
Ah the plot thickens   :o

Bread Basket

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 05:13:35 PM »