Author Topic: Mariners Church of Ireland Belfast  (Read 388 times)

L Kane

Mariners Church of Ireland Belfast
« on: March 28, 2021, 04:32:16 PM »
Hello all,

Does anyone know the exact address of where the Mariners Church of Ireland stood, circa 1873? Is the building still standing or if not, what is on that site now?

Thanking you,

Elwyn

Re: Mariners Church of Ireland Belfast
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 10:43:50 PM »
Marinerís was a chapel connected to St Anneís. It closed around the 1920s.  It was on Corporation Street and is now demolished. Shown here between 42 & 48 Corporation St.

https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/ccomplete1918_c.htm
Elwyn

L Kane

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 11:10:30 PM »
Elwyn,

You are a star! I had the feeling it was on Great Patrick Street but could not get further evidence of that. Your link now pinpoints it to the intersection of Corporation Street and Great Patrick Street. Excellent! Thank you so much. I will now go and look out some old maps....

Thanks again, Elwyn

L Kane

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 12:05:26 AM »

Here is the location and a picture, in case it is of interest to anyone.

Thanks again Elwyn.

David Duncan

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 07:49:46 PM »
The photograph of the church posted by L Kane is Sinclair Seamen's Presbyterian Church rather than Mariners Church of Ireland. On the map Sinclair Seamen's is the church on the corner of Corporation Street and Corporation Square. The facade with the horse and cart in front of it faces on to Corporation Square. The main body of the church is to the right of the bell tower and is entered by turning right as one enters the archway. To gain access to the balcony turn left into the bell tower and then across the passage with the 4 windows above the archway. The part of the church that appears to stick out to the left of the bell tower was, if I remember correctly, referred to as the transit. It had no balcony. 

L Kane

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 08:20:15 PM »
Thank you David Duncan. The photo was labelled Mariners Church so I had no reason to disbelieve it. Thank you for pointing that out.

L Kane

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 12:51:15 PM »
David Duncan, I hope you are still keeping an eye on this thread. It occurred to me that if the library collection had a Mariner's Church label on a Sinclair Seaman's Church photo, that maybe the opposite had occurred. So I looked up Sinclair Church in the library archive and found the photograph below. Would anyone know if this photograph is, in fact, Mariner's Church and not Sinclair's? Has someone, way back, got the pictures mixed up? I also found an architect's drawing of Mariner's Church which looks extremely similar to this latest photo. So could anyone confirm that the photo labelled 'Sinclair's Church' could be, in fact, Mariner's Church? It certainly looks like it to me.

Bread Basket

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 07:41:54 PM »
Are you aware that there was also a Mariners School?
It was in Nelson St between Ship St corner and Marine st.
If you type in Mariners School in the search box then you will see previous posts.
👍🏼

L Kane

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 09:58:52 PM »
Thank you Bread Basket, I will have a search through the posts.

Bread Basket

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2021, 10:08:16 AM »

David Duncan

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2021, 01:44:40 PM »
L Kane, I had a brief look for a photo of Mariner's Church of Ireland without success before commenting on your post. I did however see the plan of the west elevation which you posted with the second photograph and it's a pretty good match with the elevation on the left hand side of the second photograph. The plan of the south elevation is a very close match to the right hand side of the photograph. The plan of the south elevation is dated 1867. I think it was around 1956 that Sinclair Seamen's Church celebrated it centenary. It would have been possible to see one church from the other. I am about 25 years short of ever having been able to do that and it is highly unlikely that there is anyone alive who would remember both churches. Perhaps someone might recognise the building next to the church and its location. I would take the view that the archivist got the two photographs mix up.

L Kane

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2021, 03:51:18 PM »
Thank you for that South Elevation plan, David Duncan, I  definitely back the theory that the archivist has mixed up the two churches. I don't know why I did not think of it before, Bread Basket, but I looked for pictures in the newspaper archives today and, sure enough, Mariner's Church is there. So, mystery solved. Thank you all for your contributions and assistance.

Belfast Telegraph, 28 April, 1909