Author Topic: Help please..Cambridge Street?  (Read 154 times)

L Kane

Help please..Cambridge Street?
« on: March 31, 2021, 02:31:15 PM »

I have been trying to find 135 Cambridge Street on street directories but no success. Cambridge Street seems to stop at double figures. This is from an 1873 marriage certificate in Belfast. Is it maybe not Cambridge? Could it be something else? Anyone any ideas? Any help most appreciated.
Thank you.

Bread Basket

Re: Help please..Cambridge Street?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 03:55:05 PM »
Cambridge St ran between Meadow St & Canning St.
Look a bit closer at the way blocks of houses are numbered in batches from st to st etc and you can virtually follow them on the map as highlighted
From my recollection the map is from the early 1920ís or maybe slightly before.
I used PRONI STREET DIRECTORIES and the closest date that they have was 1870, no sign of 135 nor a James Wilson.
Iíve also looked at every James Wilson married in 1873 that shows on [size=78%]https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-perform-search.jsp?namefm=James&namel=Wilson&exact=&name2fm=&name2l=&location=&yyfrom=1873&yyto=1873&type=M&century=&decade=&sort=&pageSize=100&ddBfrom=&mmBfrom=&yyBfrom=&ddMfrom=&mmMfrom=&yyMfrom=&ddDfrom=&mmDfrom=&yyDfrom=&ddPfrom=&mmPfrom=&yyPfrom=&ddBto=&mmBto=&yyBto=&ddMto=&mmMto=&yyMto=&ddDto=&mmDto=&yyDto=&ddPto=&mmPto=&yyPto=&locationB=&locationM=&locationD=&locationP=&keywordb=&keywordm=&keywordd=&keywordp=&event=&district=&submit=Search[/size] and nothing jumps out regarding 135 Cambridge St in any of the listed towns.
So all in all a bit of a blank.
Can you reveal the rest of the certificate which may help.

L Kane

Re: Help please..Cambridge Street?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 06:21:54 PM »
Thank you Breadbasket. I could not find 135 either. I was assuming (maybe wrongly) that if it was a town other than Belfast, it would have included that in the address on the certificate.
The marriage, in the Mariner's Church, details are as follows

12 April 1873
Groom: William Sillery   full age   bachelor   flax dresser   41 Everton Street   groom's father: William Sillery   labourer
Bride: Matilda Wilson   full age   spinster   mill worker   135 Cambridge Street   bride's father: James Wilson   mariner

Thanking you,