Author Topic: Images for Belfast Deaths  (Read 189 times)

Daviren

Images for Belfast Deaths
« on: April 02, 2021, 09:01:12 AM »
A big thank you to the Irish Government for making access to the Civil records, including images, available online for free at https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/ . This resource has been a great help in researching my Belfast family history.
The images for Belfast Deaths for much of the 1870s are not available and the website says "The General Register Office are currently working on updating further records of Deaths dating back to 1864.These will be included in future updates to the records available on the website" and this does not appear to have been updated for a year or two.
Have the authorities indicated when the Death images for Belfast & Lisburn for this period might be available online or were these amongst records that were destroyed?

Elwyn

Re: Images for Belfast Deaths
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 11:16:06 AM »
You mention records that were destroyed. By that I assume you are referring to the records lost in the 1922 fire. None of the statutory birth, death and marriage records was stored in the Public record Office and so none was destroyed.

I am a little puzzled by your comment that death records for Belfast and Lisburn in the 1870s are not available.  The images are on the irishgenealogy site. The only years that are not are 1864 to 1870 inclusive.

I have not seen any timescale for putting the remaining deaths on-line and possibly that projectís at a standstill due to COVID, but meantime they are accessible on the GRONI site for £2.50 a time.
Elwyn