Author Topic: Talk about the whiterock past and present  (Read 124976 times)

oldmovies

Re: Talk about the whiterock past and present
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 02:46:38 PM »
did you ever  go for the free dinners up the street i did when i went to st kevins school.
When Trouble Has Passed, God is Forgotten.

sapper

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 02:56:56 PM »
no I didn't, which I think was a good thing for us, as they weren't exactlycordon bleu from what i heard

oldmovies

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 03:06:06 PM »
well beggers cant be choosers i found the meals ok it got me through my school years along with many others who ate there.

sapper

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 07:30:57 PM »
they got many kids from whiterock through school. I spent more time in that building when it was used for the youth club I think it was Frank Burns ran it.

christyb

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 11:03:17 AM »
Hi all out there anyone remember the clothes women who used to spread their goods at Sullivan's corner. What about [was it Jimmy] Owens the refuge man? Anybody recall the house on the Road between Corrigan Park and The Parlour houses? What was their name Will these questions be answered stick around and find out. Somebody will know. Speaking of Sullivan's does anyone know anything about Liam? Christyb
Christyb

christyb

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 11:18:23 AM »
Hi Belle fast We are in N.S.W Jervis Bay area and love it. I also went to the diners and St Kevins finished in Mounties class. How about Duffy and Duffin the strap and the cane men. Found the diners alright too, oldmovies. Who was the tall teacher who always seemed to be playing pocket billiards? Christyb ;)
Christyb

McNamee

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 04:44:02 PM »
Christy B

I was in Jervis Bay 2 years ago when I went to Oz for my sons wedding, I am leaving NorthernIreland on Thursday for another trip to Sydney.  Jervis Bay was absolutely stunning. 

Maybe pass you.

christyb

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 11:59:11 AM »
Hi McNamee are you from the rock post a note on the site when you get here and maybe we can bump into each other here in Beautiful Jervis Bay. Christyb 8)
Christyb

McNamee

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 03:12:42 PM »
Hi Christyb

No from Divis Street but whats a few miles.

oldmovies

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2008, 03:31:18 PM »
hi Chris,yep i remember the women who spread there wears and shoes every sat morning out side Sullivan's and Liam worked with me in fords but left a lot of years ago his brother paddy died a couple of years ago.the teacher who played pocket billiards was called Mr Gorden he used to go into the class next door where Mrs MC mahon was teaching and his famous words were GOOD MORNING MISS MCMACHON with his hands in his pocket god i remember that well.the farm you are talking about was O'Hare's who yous to come round the whiterock on a sunday with the butter milk do you remember the Clarke's who hired out the bikes for threepence an hour they lived on the corner house in the gardens. as for the guy who collected skins for the pigs farm his name was frank O'Neill because i used to go round the backs of houses to collect them i got sixpence a day after school bought a cigar then went to the Broadway priceless eh hope this helps O0

christyb

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 11:29:26 AM »
Oldmovies youv'e done it again. I really love being in touch with people I have missed and it's great to talk to someone and relive some of the good times. Yeh Mr Gordon and Miss McMahon I do remeber him saying Good morning Miss McMahon while potting the pink ball in the left pocket. Also used to hire out the wee red rudge from Clarks. It was a wee dinger. Hey what about Gabby Dowds the original Home boy? And Aggie she was a sight to behold [ don't tell me you married her] . Crummy's was the barber wasn't he? Do you know if Liam is in belfast as I would love to get in touch with him if possible? O0 Christyb
Christyb

oldmovies

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 02:11:32 PM »
hi Chris,yes i remember Gabbi and Aggie and no i did not marry her do you remember johnny burns who fed the rats on the giants foot he scared the life out of me and the forrest beside the old peoples home it was are play ground for me and seany Whelan hide and seek was are game and hiding from old john the care taker and his dogs by the way did you ever rob the plots at the top of Brittan's parade thats were we got our rubbarb and green peas and cabbage free food for all he he by the way how is Anna hope she is doing alright . O0

TINAT

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2008, 10:19:14 PM »
i remember keenens my ma used to send me there for messages i used to go to jims cafe and the old dinner hall had a youth club me and my mates used to go there before we discovered the jig :)

christyb

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2008, 01:05:53 PM »
Hi Oldmovies yeah i robbed the plots too along with plenty others. I used to eat the peas raw. Loved them. BTW who is Anna? What about Massie Rogan and her son-in-law Shannon who took over the butchers shop? Where have I heard that name before? A couple of more places of interest [1] Nora's bakery [2] McKeown's in the gardens for honeycomb and candy apples I have a few more so keep tuned. You have me thinking I should really know you as you run aroung with the Jynnet aka Seany Whelan. See you  Christyb O0
Christyb

oldmovies

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2008, 05:01:27 PM »
hi christy,did you ever go up the mountain loney up to the hatchet field did you ever drink out of the water fountain you really needed it after the walk  and do you remember the small chapel half way up did you ever swim in the rock dam  ::)