Author Topic: Talk about the whiterock past and present  (Read 127668 times)

christyb

Re: Talk about the whiterock past and present
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2008, 12:47:47 PM »
 Hi Oldmovies Yes I had many a drink at the top of the Mountain loney. You really needed it after that walk. We used to go to the Gully and find the nuts[ i forget what type they were]. Used to catch the bus up to Glenavy [in fact we walk it once] to go fishing and came home with our bags full of apples from the many orchards up there. Ever rob the ochards yourself? Give me four friends you hung around with seeing as you refuse to give me your name or even your first name to see if I can place you. You really have me intrigued. Where are you living now?Do you know Frankie Copeland? See yah, Christyb
Christyb

oldmovies

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2008, 02:26:13 PM »
hello Chris,yes many an orchard we robbed up the glen road our Jerseys were bulging with apples we use to cross over to the falls park and into the city cemitary were we sat an ate them many a cramp i had after it but it was worth it.my 4 friends were francis murrey who lived nnext door to you we used to go over to the brick yard to collect the cinders  for the fire hes now gone sad lovely guy billy kane from the cres tony teer from the drive jerry mcmemimney also from the drive.yes i know frankie copeland very well lived in the parade cris did you ever play football for the whiterock tim whelan was the goal keeper do you remember mcrory park the brits took over it for 20 odd years now the odees club took over and built a new club on it they have also knocked down st kevins school our wee place and built a new one MR MOUNT would be turning in his grave ....hear from you soon by the way hows anna keeping  O0
When Trouble Has Passed, God is Forgotten.

christyb

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2008, 12:38:02 PM »
Hi oldmovies, yes I used to play for Westrock F.C with Tim Fra and a few others also in the Down and Conner league with Johnger Cochrane Seanie Templeton Mal Mc Donnell and a host of other very good players. I think Junior Teer was there as well is the Tony? So big Fra is no longer with us he was a nic e person. I cant connect the dots between the names you give me as they seem to be all from different worlds. Billy Kane, Funny McMenamie Fra Murray and Tony Teer don't see a connection there. Will need more info. Do you remember the McArdles who sold cigarettes in the Drive? Anna used to chum around with Meana at the Chippy. Anna says she is doing well but who wants to know? Our team was featured in the Rushlight magazine and it was good to see all the boys I used to play with. Are you living in Belfast at present? christyb
Christyb

AL CAPONE

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2008, 01:45:57 PM »
Seany Templetons son Ossie was a great footballer.

oldmovies

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2008, 01:51:12 PM »
hi al did you know any of the rest of the names sent by chris

christyb

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2008, 02:37:55 PM »
Hi Al didn't know Seany had a son that played but if he was anything like big Seany he was alright. Fat Mc Donnell was a great centre forward rough as guts. Brian Quinn was a good player too and Micky Maguire was rough as they come.Jeez we had some talent come from the rock didn't we. The Tully's for starters. Two more come to mind from my group are Tommy O'Reilly and wee Willy Alsopp two good wingers. I played half back and enjoyed every minute of it. Tim Whelan was an alright goalkeeper too.  O0 Christyb
Christyb

AL CAPONE

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2008, 02:45:39 PM »
I know a fella Stevie Whelan from up there who was a good footballer, i wonder if they are related.

oldmovies

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
hi Chris,just to let you know that some of the names you put on are know longer with us  like big seanie temp and Brian Quinn i see tommy nearly every day walking up the falls from work fit as a fiddle he is last heard mickey owned a taxi place did you know Hughie johnson and Joe Donnelly Hughie is no longer with us along with jimmy and Jackie who also played football for the white rock just keeping you up to date. .om

christyb

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2008, 12:06:34 PM »
Thanks for the update and I'm sorry to hear all those guys are no longer with us.Say Hi to Tommy for me next time you pass each other. I knew Hugh and Joe but they were just a bit older than me. Is Tony Teer the younger of the Teers as I know Malachy and Junior but not sure if Junior is Tony but I think not. The McArdles I knew were Ricky and Collette she  was at our wedding. Remember Paddy Doherty who used to go about with his chest stuck out? About the Free dinners I remember Peggy she was one of the women who served us I think she lived in Rockmount st or rockmore rd the one that backed unto the Giants Foot. Any way I used to like the dinners as well. Can't all be choosers can we? CB O0
Christyb

oldmovies

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2008, 02:13:22 PM »
hi Chris tony was the third youngest after Mal and junior and sadly he was knocked down at the top of the rock and killed he was coming out of a dart  match,Richard still lives in the same house and Collette she married jerry Adams the shinn fein president yes i remember the docs very well and your rite about paddy with his chest sticking out.Mal McDonald he lives on his own and has become a recluse....om

breezy

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2008, 02:50:28 AM »
hi christyb,

I'll be in belfast next week , I know Liams sister and will pass on your e-mail address

regards

breezy :)

christyb

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2008, 11:19:32 AM »
Thanks Breezy that would be great. OM wasn't that dog  called Bluey? Come on om at least send me an email so as I can really thank you for all your input to the site. What about the crooner who came around singing with one hand over his ear does anyone recall him? O0
Christyb

rocky1

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2008, 09:00:15 PM »
Hi Christyb, O`Hares farm was in between the two houses you were talking about' It is still there to this day but is derelict. I  have family who still live in Whiterock Gdns (Kelly) i myself live not to far from them. Some names to think about, Big Joe Kerr, Dan Lannigan, Tomsy Fagin who sold the papers, Peter the Baker who delivered your bread at 5 in the morning. Clarks yard is also  still there some things never change.

christyb

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2008, 12:57:03 PM »
Thanks for that Rocky 1 Yeah Tomsy Reagan lived opposite our house we were both corner houses and although ours was addressed to the Parade Tomsy's was in the Cresent the other corner houses were Sullivan and Matthews. Over here in Australia you hardly know you next door neighbour whilst in the Rock you knew nearly everyone isn't that right. I mean if some asked you were does so and so live you could tell them right away. My sister married a kelly from the Crescent right at the top corner of the drive any relation? O0
Christyb

rocky1

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2008, 06:59:36 PM »
Not sure need a little more info about her. Wats her husbands first name?
Did you ever play on the pitch behind corrigan park. The pitch ran in a slope down to the river behind the houses at Ballymurphy. Wat about the old Whiterock bunglows. Wats it like living in Australia and would you like to come home again. 8) 8)