Author Topic: Carnmoney / Whitewell  (Read 54981 times)

JohnC

Re: Carnmoney / Whitewell
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 09:00:32 PM »
Hi GM
The address "Whitewell Seafort" does not ring a bell but there was Seaview Terrace (locally known as Peters Hill) and there was Joseph McKernon who lived at 2 Seaview Terrace Whitewell.
Hope this helps.

donald r

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 04:10:17 PM »
the person who rode the horse around whitewell was called dickie patton there were certainly two
belleview arms one at each side of the entrance to the whitewell road both were owned by Pat
Bradley who was Harry Diamonds father in law   the one on the right of the entrance is still there and doing well the one on the left which did open one day a year to keep the licence was knocked down along with mrs gillispies shop ,the row of houses and the bookies beside it to make way for the m2 motorway
on the other side of the antrim road there were three rows of houses the front row which had lucy
canavans shop at the end of it
the middle row which over looked the entrance to the zoo and the back row which ran along to the entrance of the limestone quarry on the edge of cave hill  although this has been filled in you can still see the outline of where it was these also were knocked down at the same time 1962
 i remember patsy McKernan his mother and sister living in a wooden bunaglow on the antrim road just passed mrs gillispies shop  only colgan i remember is sarah who went around with my sister and her brother allister and their mother  hope this is of some help

donald r

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 05:09:40 PM »
hi all
my family lived in the whitewell from the early forties i was born in tory lane just behind the bellevue arms the entrance to the lane was at the top of the whitewell road
a lot of the names on the 1911 list were still living there at that time certaintly McKernan,Colgan Finnegan,
Gilmore all of whom i knew as a boy adam Finnegan also worked for james kelly on his farm on the whitewell road this land is now the valley playing fields and the m2 motorway
if i can be of any help give me a shout
donald ;) ;)

Townharry

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 06:50:49 PM »
Hi Donald, it's fascinating to know that your sister knew Sarah Colgan, she was my Grandfather's sister.
I don't suppose there are any photographs of Sarah and your sister at all ?
Anything you can tell me about the Colgan's or Lynas families would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards,
Townharry
Be Safe - Be Free

donald r

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 09:19:53 AM »
HI TOWNHARRY
WILL ASK MY SISTER IF SHE HAS ANY WILL TRY AND FIND OUT SOME MORE INFO FOR YOU IF I CAN
DONALD

fionalorraine

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 02:07:44 PM »
There was another pub before the present Bellevue Arms - just about 100 yards on the Belfast side.  During my time at Whitewell 1935 - 1953 it was owned by the Bradley family but only opened one day each year (I understand this was to keep the licence).  There was living accommodation above this pub but I do not know the names of any of the residents.

There is someone connected to the McKernons still living in the area who has a lot of photos.  There were several families of McKernons in 1950s all interconnected and some lived in a row of terrace houses opposite Front Terrace on the hill - may have been Concrete Row/Ruby Terrace - near the Bellevue arms but also near another small pub [older than Bellevue, opened once a year to keep licence, Bradley owned both pubs - owned a black car] - McDonalds lived in the terrace too- near the well - also shop called called Stevensons.  There was a Pete McKernon.  Paddy McKernon also rings a bell.

Another family of McKernons lived in wooden bungalow lower down.

My dad will make some enquiries.

Look at records in St Marys on the Hill - school records in PRONI.

donald r

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 02:43:34 PM »
hi all
the other pub was also called the bellevue arms big paddy Mckernan
moved to a bungalow up in the zoo where he worked with Pat Duffy
pete  moved to queens park i used to have  a pint or to with both of them
but have not seen either for a while
the McKernans that lived in the wooden bungalow was mrs McKernan her daughter Marie and her son Patsy i used to see Marie and her mum in the Glen inn on a saturday after they done their shopping
havent seen any of the McDonalds for a while there was also a little white cottage behind the old pub afacing the entrance to Tory Lane where James Kelly lived there was also arow of houses at the bottom of the entry where the well was does any one remember them Lily Dunlop lived there also the Gilmores
and Ethel Hood
Donald 

JohnC

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2008, 08:48:30 PM »
Hi Donald
You are certainly bringing back memories of Whitewell.
Do you remember another family in Tory Lane by the name of Reid - I think there was an Archie Reid who played piano and had one or two fingers off by the knuckle.
Beside the "wee pub" owned by Bradleys was a bookies - do you remember the name of the bookie?

JohnC

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2008, 08:57:34 PM »
Another memory of Whitewell was dancing on the "nous" behind Front Row, beside Maxwells shed to the music of Dan McKillen on accordion and George Malone on fiddle.
The adults also played "rounders" and the men played marbles behind Lucy Canavans shop - those were the days!

donald r

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2008, 11:22:11 AM »
hi Johnc
the fellow who played the piano with his index finger missing in tory lane was called Wilmore reith
my eldest brother  archie who played the bag pipes was my father 
cant recall the name of the bookies at the minute but it will come
remember the nous well at the back of the the hoarding and maurice kelly's esso garage Jim McIlwane and i used to watch the men play pitch and toss with two old pennies in the summer evenings Gordie malone moved to carnmoney to live
it was a good time to live in but the best dancing went on in the Floral Hall ha ha oh yes i remember it well

JohnC

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2008, 03:50:29 PM »
Hi Donald
Thanks for the info on Whitewell
Dancing at the Floral Hall was another thing - that was where I met my wife and we are still together 48 years later.
Have you any photographs of Whitewell?

donald r

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2008, 07:49:25 PM »
hi john c
no no pictures but i will try and dig some up congratulations on 48 years they were great women in those days
donald   

JohnC

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2008, 05:01:07 PM »
Hi Townharry
Did you ever get a photo of the cottages ?
I have just come across this one which may interest you.
It was officially Seaview Terrace but we all knew it as Peters Hill.
http://i307

JohnC

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2008, 05:26:30 PM »
Hi Townharry
http://i307 photobucket.com
Sorry cannot load this photo - will try again

JohnC

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2008, 05:40:42 PM »
Hi Townharry
IMG http://i307 photobucket.com