Author Topic: Carnmoney / Whitewell  (Read 68638 times)

hcoid

Re: Carnmoney / Whitewell
« Reply #165 on: May 18, 2014, 02:54:20 PM »
Maurice sent you an email

james

« Reply #166 on: June 27, 2014, 09:48:34 PM »
Hello G.M.

tHE PUB USED TO BE OWNED BY THE dIAMOND FAMILY AND hARRY dIAMOND WAS AN OLD rEPUBLICAN lABOUR PARTY OR lABOUR PARTY MEMBER.OOpps.

I will try and find out who owned it before him....What year are we talking about. O0
[
/quote]The pub they seem to be talking about was the old bar beside Ruby Terrace,called the Bellevue inn. in the 1950,s it was owned by Pat Bradley,he also owned the Bellevue arms.
There was a Patrick mckernon ,who is described as a publican(bar owner) who lived at the Whitewell,in the early 1900,s,he must have moved away,as he is not listed in the 1911 census.The information on Patrick mckernon was in the Whitewell Village street directory. Regards James

Glam Rock

« Reply #167 on: June 29, 2014, 08:30:10 PM »
What have they done to the front of Bellevue Arms??
Its looks more like the Alamo.

lugh

« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2014, 08:23:51 PM »

Zabargad

« Reply #169 on: November 21, 2014, 10:59:05 AM »

Does anyone have a map of, or can expain, where exactly Whitewell Village was situated, before they put the motorway right through it?  Is there anything left of it at all?

My great great grandparents lived there in 1901, and it's so difficult to imagine what it was like. 
Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures, keep nothing but memories.

brin

« Reply #170 on: September 26, 2015, 04:39:14 PM »
Very many thanks JohnC, i have been trying to get a photograph of these cottages for years and i am thrilled you have came up trumps.
The other photo's you have posted are excellent too, keep up the good work !!
I know this is an old post but can anyone help.I used to work in the Bellevue arms in the 60's and a friend of mine lived in that row of houses .His surname was theobald or similar .When we were 17 we came to london but I returned after 3 months but went back 2 years later .We met up again but then he mover to Ireland and we lost touch.That photo brought it all back.I remember all they had was gaslight and no electricty.

Monty1

« Reply #171 on: September 26, 2015, 05:09:26 PM »
PatM your dad would have been my great uncle.

old wallion

« Reply #172 on: September 29, 2015, 10:28:59 PM »
I know this is an old post but can anyone help.I used to work in the Bellevue arms in the 60's and a friend of mine lived in that row of houses .His surname was theobald or similar .When we were 17 we came to london but I returned after 3 months but went back 2 years later .We met up again but then he mover to Ireland and we lost touch.That photo brought it all back.I remember all they had was gaslight and no electricty.
Hi Brin, I remember Willie Theobald very well. Willie and Tommy McKillen who is also on the Forum went to London for work. Willie returned years later and now lives in Dublin. He has changed his first name to Patrick by deed poll. Willie drove a Tiger Cub motor bike back in the 60s and was a great Roller Skater at the Floral Hall. Regards Old Wallion

brin

« Reply #173 on: September 29, 2015, 10:57:09 PM »
Hi Old wallion. I knew him as wally .We went off together for work in london in 1970 and I stayed for a few months and rejoined him a couple of years later by that time he had had a baby with a girl called Mona and they moved to dublin and thats when I lost touch with him.We used to build motor bikes in the black shed behind the terrace .

tommytwotoes

« Reply #174 on: September 30, 2015, 11:11:34 PM »
 to old wallion and co,, tommy from the shore road but know your area quite well thut you might like these the old bellevue arms AND the, Bellevue inn

i never drop players ,i only make changes (shanks) justice for the 96

old wallion

« Reply #175 on: October 02, 2015, 09:00:58 PM »
to old wallion and co,, tommy from the shore road but know your area quite well thut you might like these the old bellevue arms AND the, Bellevue inn

Many Thanks Tommy, many a Sunday tripI had with the Diamond family in that car in the photo.
It was a Humber with walnut interior, very grand car to own. Regards OW

tommytwotoes

« Reply #176 on: October 02, 2015, 10:52:31 PM »
SPOT  on with the car OW,, iv been in one myself many moons ago
I worked part time for a mr, buntin he owned the esso petrol stations
top and bottom of fortwillam ,, glad you like the photos,
regards tommy

brin

« Reply #177 on: October 16, 2015, 08:34:34 PM »
When I worked for him 1967 / 72 he had a Jag.I remember having to take him home a couple of times as he was the worst for ware .To many Campari and sodas.I remember being very impressed with the house as I had never seen a house with its own lift in before.Ann diamond was in a wheel chair ,From what I recall she had been in a car accident .I went with Harry the night the Horse shoe inn got blown up.We loaded as much stock into a lorry as we could whilst being protected by the solders .

tommytwotoes

« Reply #178 on: October 30, 2015, 11:44:35 PM »
When I worked for him 1967 / 72 he had a Jag.I remember having to take him home a couple of times as he was the worst for ware .To many Campari and sodas.I remember being very impressed with the house as I had never seen a house with its own lift in before.Ann diamond was in a wheel chair ,From what I recall she had been in a car accident .I went with Harry the night the Horse shoe inn got blown up.We loaded as much stock into a lorry as we could whilst being protected by the solders .
brin do you mean you worked for sam buntin who own the petrol stations
if so do you remember either jimmy withers or harry Caldwell they both worked for him
at that time , regards tommy

brin

« Reply #179 on: October 31, 2015, 09:00:07 AM »
I worked for harry Diamond at the Bellvue arms. I do remember the garage owner bought his wife a ford Capri which in those days was awesome and rare.