Author Topic: Carnmoney / Whitewell  (Read 85576 times)

sweenytodd

Re: Carnmoney / Whitewell
« Reply #180 on: November 14, 2015, 06:01:28 PM »
Drin do you rember my cousin Jim O connor who worked there, the manager at the time was an O Connor too but no realation ??

brin

« Reply #181 on: November 14, 2015, 07:21:20 PM »
I can remember .Harry diamond and his brother used to be behind the bar most weekends .Was the manager called Martin also can remember the cellar man Joe gormley .The upstairs lounge was managed By John ?.There was a potman who looked like mick jagger .Mrs larkin was the manageress of the Restaurant .Mrs Talbot ,Evening Cook/Chef .Maureen Sweeny was cook,Tina Orr,two mary's and an ann were waitresses then there was me wine and silver service lol and Patrick the drunken Scottish Head waiter    ;-)

sweenytodd

« Reply #182 on: November 15, 2015, 06:25:29 PM »
brin the year my cousin Jim o Connor worked there was from 1960 until about 1963

brin

« Reply #183 on: November 15, 2015, 07:21:40 PM »
I worked in the kitchen over the school summer hoildays in 1967 when I was 14 and started full time sept 1968 until 1972.

sweenytodd

« Reply #184 on: November 15, 2015, 11:33:21 PM »
He was gone i think 63 64 you are to young brin thank god says you ha ha

[email protected]

« Reply #185 on: July 16, 2018, 11:29:32 PM »
Hi
I lived three doors down from Toosie Gilmore in Fairyknowe Park. Toosie passed away over 20 years ago. I vaguely remember him playing a guitar when I was young. Maybe I’m wrong.

I have lived in Dr Smiths house since 2016. It is directly opposite St Bernards primary school. There were 2 outbuildings. One was a wooden playhouse, now gone and the doctors surgery which still standing. It has original tiles, front door, desks, cork pin boards. The original owner appears to be Dr Lynas whose name is on the original plans dated in 1930’s. According to a lady who lived locally, Dr Smith  lived here in the 50’s -60’s. The last owners were called McAlpine and the man used the outbuilding for his insurance business. Those owners called the out building ‘The surgery’ and we have continued with the tradition calling it the surgery. The building came up on another forum I was looking at last night. Hard to believe! When reading through the posts, it appears that there were more doctors in the immediate area than people!

Falls

« Reply #186 on: July 18, 2018, 10:27:46 AM »
I was working at glenkyle off ballyduff road early 67 until 71.Remember when we could not work,various reasons, we went for a drink to the cabin on the hill and Peter byrnes,glengormley.Little off topic but memories.

James21

Whitewell
« Reply #187 on: August 10, 2018, 12:26:16 AM »
Hi
I lived three doors down from Toosie Gilmore in Fairyknowe Park. Toosie passed away over 20 years ago. I vaguely remember him playing a guitar when I was young. Maybe I’m wrong.

I have lived in Dr Smiths house since 2016. It is directly opposite St Bernards primary school. There were 2 outbuildings. One was a wooden playhouse, now gone and the doctors surgery which still standing. It has original tiles, front door, desks, cork pin boards. The original owner appears to be Dr Lynas whose name is on the original plans dated in 1930’s. According to a lady who lived locally, Dr Smith  lived here in the 50’s -60’s. The last owners were called McAlpine and the man used the outbuilding for his insurance business. Those owners called the out building ‘The surgery’ and we have continued with the tradition calling it the surgery. The building came up on another forum I was looking at last night. Hard to believe! When reading through the posts, it appears that there were more doctors in the immediate area than people!

James21

Re: Whitewell
« Reply #188 on: August 10, 2018, 12:44:37 AM »
 Hellp Everyone.I was born in whitewell a long time ago,lately I was passing through whitewell and decided to go up the road towards were the laundry was,I noticed the sign post on the road was Glengormley something, just can,t remember exactly,Does anyone know when the name was changed,as it was not called that when I lived there
 Glengormley does not begin until after the police station. James

old wallion

« Reply #189 on: August 11, 2018, 09:01:59 PM »

Hi James 21
Glengormley Park leads up to where the laundry used to be. Maybe you remember it as Laundry lane or just Collinbridge.
Where did you live back then??
Regards OW

James21

« Reply #190 on: August 13, 2018, 01:39:01 PM »
Hi James 21
Glengormley Park leads up to where the laundry used to be. Maybe you remember it as Laundry lane or just Collinbridge.
Where did you live back then??
Regards OW

James21

« Reply #191 on: August 13, 2018, 01:41:33 PM »
Thanks a lot ow I thought it was colinbridge???

James21

« Reply #192 on: August 13, 2018, 07:05:34 PM »
Sorry ow I had to go out and did not finish my reply I asked you about about the name on the sign post,because the whitewell is not on any sign post,as far as I now,Glengormley is on numerous sign posts,from every direction approaching Glengormley..Most people have not a clue where whitewell village is.Most of the older people who were born in the village are the only ones who seem to know were it is,.Thats why changing name places is not good for whitewell,soon most people will think they are in Glengormley.I was born on the front row,my father on the back row.my grandfather was also born at the whitewell.You should know who I am now.James

James21

« Reply #193 on: August 13, 2018, 08:05:07 PM »
Sorry ow I had to go out and did not finish my reply I asked you about about the name on the sign post,because the whitewell is not on any sign post,as far as I know,Glengormley is on numerous sign posts,from every direction approaching Glengormley..Most people have not a clue where whitewell village is.Most of the older people who were born in the village are the only ones who seem to know were it is,.Thats why changing name places is not good for whitewell,soon most people will think they are in Glengormley.I was born on the front row,my father on the back row.my grandfather was also born at the whitewell.You should know who I am now.James

Eileen mac

« Reply #194 on: November 24, 2018, 11:46:19 PM »
My family were Neal and Martha Jane mcmillen

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy