Author Topic: Carnmoney / Whitewell  (Read 68264 times)

JohnC

Re: Carnmoney / Whitewell
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2008, 08:44:11 PM »

Carnmoney Royal British Legion on Parade

ELEANOR

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2008, 10:07:05 AM »
Re Bellevue Arms.  My mother and I both had part-time jobs in the Bellevue in the 1970s when Harry Diamond (Sr) was still alive. His sons, Eamonn and Harry Jr both worked there as did his daughter, Yvonne.  I went to school with another of the Diamond family, Soinibhe, and I believe she also worked in the Bellevue at one time.  I went back there in June 2008 for the first time in nearly thirty years.  What a shock!  I remember the dining room downstairs with white linen tablecloths and a dancefloor!

JohnC

« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2008, 03:13:45 PM »
[I

Glengormley Football Team - Hazeldene - 1950's.
Hanill mentioned Toosie Gilmore - can you spot him ?

JohnC

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2008, 03:16:01 PM »

Hazeldene Football Team

stevem

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2008, 02:15:46 PM »
Hi all, I've just found the forum. My grandparents were Robert and Martha Stevenson who lived at Whitewell in the first half of the 20th century.They had daughters Ethel, Roberta, Marian and Mabel(my mother) and a son Harold who died in the 1st World War. They lived in the big house between Stevenson's shop and the row of houses on the lower side of the Antrim road.I think my granny ran the shop and my grandfather had another job.
I remember that other pub which was demolished. It was at the end of the row at the top of the Whitewell road where it used to end before the motorway was built.
Someone mentioned the Baron Hall and there is a photo of sunday school members. My mother went to primary school there.she was born in1909.The Baron Hall is still there.
stevem

sj

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2008, 02:21:28 PM »
Re Bellevue Arms.  My mother and I both had part-time jobs in the Bellevue in the 1970s when Harry Diamond (Sr) was still alive. His sons, Eamonn and Harry Jr both worked there as did his daughter, Yvonne.  I went to school with another of the Diamond family, Soinibhe, and I believe she also worked in the Bellevue at one time.  I went back there in June 2008 for the first time in nearly thirty years.  What a shock!  I remember the dining room downstairs with white linen tablecloths and a dancefloor!

I didn't see your post Eleanor. .It was a shock to see how the restaurant has gone down from those days of the early 70's.   There was a lady who was the restaurant manager or maybe the cook that we knew.  I was thereagain  in July 2007 . O0
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

JohnC

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2008, 03:16:46 PM »

Hi stevem
Barron Hall School taken about 1914.  My mother is in this photo and we lived at Lower Terrace (Front Row), Whitewell just opposite Bradleys "wee pub".

whoami

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2008, 03:33:39 PM »
Hi JohnC. Thanks for photo. My Mum and or older sisters could be there. Great picture !
stevem

stevem

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2008, 04:06:51 PM »
Hi JohnC
Just to clarify. Thanks for photo.I have saved it. My mum could be there or her older sisters. I remember those houses well.I used to pass them every day on the way to school. My Mum(Mabel Stevenson) had a good innings. She died in 1999 aged 90.
Bye
stevem

geze2

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2008, 08:01:18 PM »
hi, i am in the middle of doing a trace for the mckernon family. yes they did liv in ruby terrace and also owned a shop there. i am very good friends with one of the sons. if any one would like to contact me with ref. to this my e-mail is [email protected].

regards,

al

donald r

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2008, 02:19:23 PM »
toosie is is the second on the left in the back row
regards
donald r

donald r

« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2008, 01:48:57 PM »
Fiona

I'm talking about the cottages at the side of the Zoo and up a lane.  On the other side of the road I don't think that there were any cottages.  It is possible that if there were that they were demolished when the M2 motorway was built. ::)
hi china Sam
on the other side from the zoo coming from Belfast was first Mrs Mckernans wooden bungalow
then Mrs Gillespies shop then the entry with the well at the top then a row of terrace houses
then the old original bellevue arms then the bookies shop at the bus stop at the top of the whitewell
road these were all knocked down when they were building the m2 motorway along with all the houses at the top of the whitewell road
regards
Donald r

donald r

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2008, 08:46:37 PM »
Hello G.M.

tHE PUB USED TO BE OWNED BY THE dIAMOND FAMILY AND hARRY dIAMOND WAS AN OLD rEPUBLICAN lABOUR PARTY OR lABOUR PARTY MEMBER.OOpps.

I will try and find out who owned it before him....What year are we talking about. O0
PAT BRADLEY OWNED THE BELLEVUE ARMS BEFORE HARRY DIAMOND HARRY MARRIED PATS DAUGHTER

sj

« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2008, 11:50:12 PM »
PAT BRADLEY OWNED THE BELLEVUE ARMS BEFORE HARRY DIAMOND HARRY MARRIED PATS DAUGHTER

Thanks Donald O0
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

twila

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2009, 01:23:50 AM »

Hi stevem
Barron Hall School taken about 1914.  My mother is in this photo and we lived at Lower Terrace (Front Row), Whitewell just opposite Bradleys "wee pub".

[Hi John c

you must have known my late husband, tony mckernon (anthony) he lived at the whitewell the same time as you.  do you remember any of them.