Author Topic: Carnmoney / Whitewell  (Read 68642 times)

hcoid

Re: Carnmoney / Whitewell
« Reply #150 on: August 22, 2010, 06:40:59 PM »
dr Neary's surgery was at the end of Collinward Crescent, it is now a butcher's or was when I lived there. There was a chemist beside it was it Logues?

old wallion

« Reply #151 on: August 22, 2010, 07:32:51 PM »
The Butchers was named E V Murray known local as Sammy the Butcher.
The Chemist was owned by the Loughrey family and Dr Nearys surgery
was on the other corner where Bridge Snooker is today and is now a Hairdressers.
The snooker hall was once Carpetland and before it was a Tobbaconist owned
by the late Cyril Mc Phillips :smile:

DMNKY

« Reply #152 on: August 29, 2010, 09:17:51 PM »
I am also a Montgomery. My dad was Margaret and David Montgomery's oldest son also called David. My dad was born in 1934 and lived in 8 Upper Terrace. Toosie Gilmore lived in 4 Upper Terrace.

Dad married in 1957 and moved to Rathcoole, New Lodge, Graymount and now lives on the Whitewell Road.

DMNKY

« Reply #153 on: August 29, 2010, 09:20:02 PM »
Tootsie Gilmore married and possibly settled in Fairyknowe area of Whitewell Road, can anyone confirm this?

old wallion

« Reply #154 on: August 30, 2010, 09:18:12 PM »
Hi Dkny
Toosie moved from Upper Terrace to live at the top end of Fairyknowe Park where he lived until he died
nearly 20 years ago. His wife Mary died a few years later and their Jaqueline lives in Ballysillan area.
Toosie was a great character and also a great singer when he sang Scarrlet Ribbons
OW

PatM

« Reply #155 on: November 22, 2010, 01:41:01 AM »
My grandad was Frank Gilmore and Grandmother Catherine (nee McAleavey) who lived in 4 Upper Terrace.  Toosie Gilmore was my uncle.  My dad was Joe Gilmore who was married to Bridie Redmond.  We lived in 17 Front Terrace until 1960 when we moved to Rathcoole as the motorway was being built right through where the houses stood.  My dad also had brothers, Tommy, Francie,  Bob, Willie, James, Mick and sisters Margaret (known as Cissie) Susan (known as Suzanna) and Kathleen.  My paternal grandparents Frank and Catherine lived at 4 Upper Terrace with Toosie and my maternal grandparents Bernard and Mary Redmond lived at 12 Front Terrace.  Our family are trying to put together a family tree and would be grateful for any information or photos that can help in our search.

PatM

« Reply #156 on: November 22, 2010, 01:48:38 AM »
Margaret (Cissie) Montgomery was my dad's sister.
Do you have any photographs of her.

PatM

« Reply #157 on: November 22, 2010, 02:05:35 AM »

PatM

« Reply #158 on: November 22, 2010, 02:06:47 AM »
Looks more like John Gilmore in Hazeldene football club picture

hcoid

« Reply #159 on: September 06, 2011, 11:19:26 PM »
Margaret (Cissie) Montgomery was my dad's sister.
Do you have any photographs of her.
Think Cissie was my Dad's aunt??
What year was the football picture taken....looks like my dad in the back row!!

Shannon colgan

« Reply #160 on: June 18, 2012, 05:54:27 PM »
Hi I was wondering if anyone is doing a colgan family tree if so would you be able to help me out my granda was alister colgan and my granny was Elizabeth colgan I know that my granda mummy and daddy was Robert and Sarah also all my uncles and my dad lived there but he only lived There until he was 4 my uncles are called alister William martin and my dads called Harry if anyone could help I'd be really thankfull

blackicerose

« Reply #161 on: June 26, 2012, 07:03:01 PM »
Hi I was wondering if anyone is doing a colgan family tree if so would you be able to help me out my granda was alister colgan and my granny was Elizabeth colgan I know that my granda mummy and daddy was Robert and Sarah also all my uncles and my dad lived there but he only lived There until he was 4 my uncles are called alister William martin and my dads called Harry if anyone could help I'd be really thankfull

Hi Shannon,

I've sent you a PM.

Lyndsey

Matthew

« Reply #162 on: July 04, 2012, 08:35:02 PM »
Hi TownHarry and Fiona,
I came accross this by Site/Forum by accident, but am pleased i did. Not sure if you can help me. My grandparents Patrick and Elizabeth McKernan lived above a pub when they first married. The Pub was thought to be called the Bellevue Arms and was run by a relative ( ??? ). Do either of you have any recollections of said pub and who it was run by.
Long shot, but I thought I would try.
GM Canada

The Belview arms is owned by the Dimond family, it was converted into a bar around 1933. Its still there today and owned by that family. I don't know if they are related or not.

samuelmaurice

« Reply #163 on: May 12, 2014, 01:10:17 AM »
Re all queries on Colgans I have some info on Colgans in Tobermore and am trying to find if there is a connection with the   R Colgan RIR, T Colgan Leinster Rifles and J Colgan who served in WW1 (names are on Memorial in Carnmoney Parish Church.

blackicerose

« Reply #164 on: May 15, 2014, 07:28:55 PM »
Re all queries on Colgans I have some info on Colgans in Tobermore and am trying to find if there is a connection with the   R Colgan RIR, T Colgan Leinster Rifles and J Colgan who served in WW1 (names are on Memorial in Carnmoney Parish Church.

Hi there, I've sent you a pm. :)