Author Topic: Music Festivals  (Read 3950 times)

Cait

Music Festivals
« on: March 19, 2008, 12:11:57 AM »
I asked in another thread, but I thought I'd ask here.

I'm a large fan of the music festival, be it rock festivals like Exit Festival or dance festivals like The White Parties.

Does Belfast have a festival scene, or do you have to travel to other parts of Ireland to do such things?
Does the ABC song and Twinkle Twinkle little star have the same tune?

Why did you try singing the two tunes above?

Christopher

Re: Music Festivals
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 03:05:16 AM »
Hello Cait,

When I saw the heading I thought you meant the type of Music Festival where choirs or individual singers perform before adjudicators and win cups and medals for their efforts.

The Belfast Festival at Queens was started by students in the 1960s and is now on the list of leading Festivals. Under Michael Barne's directorship in the 1980s it became a two week festival. It contains a large number of musical events.

Belfast had its first ever Blues and Jazz Festival during the August Bank Holiday weekend last year and held its fourth Nashville Songwriters' Festival in February. There was also the month long Oxjam Festival in Belfast last October.

Walter Love and Brian Dempster have been running the Holywood Jazz Festival eighteen years.

The Rockabilly Roundup which was held at in a marquee at Clarendon Dock (and in Pat's Bar and Rotterdam Bar) over the weekend at the end of June and beginning of July for three years 1964-6 no longer takes place due to lack of sponsorship.

Christopher

steveferson

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 02:05:35 PM »
When you talk festivals I immediately think:

Belfast: Vital
The South: Oxegen
The Mainland: Reading/Leeds, Glastonbury

It depends how much you like your festivals. If the line-ups OK, Vital would do me since it's in walking distance (no camping, it's really just a bit 2-day concert).

Oxegen's a good bit further to go. Decent lineups, poorly organised.  It rained on me last year.

Never been to a mainland festival but contemplating it for this year.

Christopher

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 02:24:49 PM »
There's the Glasgowbury Festival at Eagle's Rock http://tiny.cc/nGtkJ

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 03:21:28 PM »
Check Immortal Recordings (Ireland) events on the Whats on in Belfast board.

Christopher

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 11:13:42 PM »
The annual Beach Party at Portrush has been cancelled and won't be taking place this year as the organisers were unable to obtaiin a headline act. In 2006 they had the well known DJ Fatboy Slim and last year they had Basement Jaxx. The event means a big loss to the triangle area as it attracted crowds of up to 20,000 people.

Christopher

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 08:09:42 PM »
I asked in another thread, but I thought I'd ask here.

I'm a large fan of the music festival, be it rock festivals like Exit Festival or dance festivals like The White Parties.

Does Belfast have a festival scene, or do you have to travel to other parts of Ireland to do such things?

The Irish Music Board on the Find It Ireland site has a growing list which gives details of Festivals and Gigs throughout Ireland ... There are Festivals taking place at Castles and beautiful historical Irish villages with bands from Ireland, Britain and further afield taking part. http://finditireland.com/forum There's a link to this Forum on the Irish Information board on the Find It Ireland site.

Christopher 

RobMonty

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 11:08:59 AM »
Theres the annual Hilden Beer Festival its anon the August Bank holiday weekend Fri 23rd, Sat 24th & Sun 25th.  8)

www.taproomhilden.com

Christopher

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 08:53:33 PM »
Thanks Rob,

I've added that to the Find It Ireland site.

Is there any word about a gig at Slane this year?

Christopher

RobMonty

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 12:52:01 PM »
It doesn't look lke theres anything at Slane this year, I've searched the net and can't come up with anything

RobMonty

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 12:55:34 PM »
But the beach party is back on...

The Chemical Brothers will head the line-up for this year's Portrush Beach Party, planned for June.

Just weeks after announcing that they couldn’t find a suitable headliner and were scrapping the event, the Portrush Beach Party people have confirmed a June 14 bill that includes The Chemical Brothers, Fedde Le Grand, Eric Prydz, Utah Saints, Steve Angelo, James Howard and Col Hamilton.

Tickets for the bash, which is being staged in the East Strand Car Park, are on sale now priced £36 for a standard ticket and £59 for VIP entry.

EllCee

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 10:15:26 PM »

OTHER BLUES GIGS AND BLUES BITS

Festivals we like:

City of Derry Jazz and Big Band Festival - 1st to 4th May 2008 - Click here and check it out!

BUSK FEST - 28TH JUNE 2008 BANBRIDGE

Limavady Jazz and Blues Festival

Fiddler's Green Festival

BANDS :

Bluez Katz now appearing at :

Guinness International Blues on the Bay Festival Warrenpoint May 22nd to 26th 2008
http://www.bluesonthebay.co.uk/main.htm

Derry Jazz and Big Band Festival 3rd May  2008 - Becketts Bar

BUSK FEST - 28TH June - Banbridge.

Belfast's BIG RIVER JAZZ AND BLUES FESTIVAL AUGUST 2008

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Paul Doherty

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 03:32:31 PM »
Tickets for Valfest can be won by visiting :

http://www.culturenorthernireland.org/Competitions.aspx

Small Mike

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 11:21:08 PM »
was there  punk emo last saturday?