Author Topic: Cyprus Street  (Read 6086 times)

teragram

Cyprus Street
« on: March 19, 2008, 10:02:52 PM »
Would anyone have any photo's of Cyprus St?  My granny used to live exactly facing Henry Kanes scrapyard. and two doors down from Malachi Morgan.
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

kellmor

Re: Cyprus Street
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 10:06:16 PM »

teregram,
 this is a view from McDonnell street looking up Cyprus Street. Your grannie's house would have been about level with the banner in the background - where Kanes was just beside that shop.( maybe you can sharpen the photo up to bring more detail into it )
By the way the other photo was of Leeson Street/ Plevna street corner (at the opening ). At the extreme right and just out of the picture would have been Frankie Greenwood's shop. Then the shop in the centre used to be malachy morgan's Chippy and the other shop on the extreme left used to be the fruit shop.

kell.

teragram

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 10:40:29 PM »
Brilliant photo kell, and these people would be passing Greenwoods shop at the bottom of Cyprus St wouldn't they?     Our ones used to call him Stinker Greenwood, I wonder why that was?

kellmor

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 01:49:09 PM »
You are a bit off the mark teragram. The shop they are passing was at the bottom of Cyprus street where it joined McDonnell street ( dont remember the name ). Stinker Greenwoods was at the corner of Leeson street and Plevna street, or to be more accurate, at the corner of Plevna street opening. This was away back in the distance in the picture. I'd like to know why he was called stinker as well.

teragram

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 01:58:11 PM »
You're right kellmor, I'm well off the mark.  I just checked with one of my sisters who spent most of her time in Cyprus St.  The name of the shop was Soapy Trainers.

teragram

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 02:00:01 PM »
If Soapy and Stinker had have got together, it would have been some combination.

Roller skates

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 07:13:37 PM »
If stinker and soapy had gotten together, maybe stinker would have lost his name!  ;D
By the way my granny lived the first house above malachy morngan's chippy. RS
A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction!!

feejeeks

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 10:59:18 PM »
the other shop on the corner of Cyprus St and Servia St was Sarah Moss.I lived a few doors down at no.55

feejeeks

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 11:04:45 PM »
the house you can see next to Sarah Moss,s was Gilroys,he was a handy man for fixing radios and later tvs when they came out