Author Topic: belfast singers  (Read 34740 times)

arkie

Re: belfast singers
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2006, 11:14:09 PM »
THE SONG WAS.  HERE COMES THE NIGHT.   HI TITANIC ENJOY THE SITE.

Mageeka

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2006, 04:37:39 AM »
Anyone remember a singer from Larne named Ricki Parkes?

arkie

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2006, 03:31:12 PM »
YEA. HIS FAV. SONG WAS       WHAT DO YOU WANT IF YOU DONT WANT MONEY,,,,,,, HE ALSO SANG AND PUT IT OVER WELL,,, ONE OF NAT KING COLE S   WHEN YOURE YOUNG. :D

AL CAPONE

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2006, 05:37:39 PM »
Arkie
Do you mean Frankie Turley

that was mary turleys brother who had 2 cats

arkie

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2006, 06:31:54 PM »
AL,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ;D ;D WHAT THE HACK HAS MARY TURLEY S TWO CATS GOT TO DO WITH BELFAST SINGERS . OR COULD IT BE HER TWO CATS COULD SING?

AL CAPONE

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2006, 06:44:09 PM »
MARY TURLEY CAME FROM ALBERT ST AND HER 2 CATS WOULD ALWAYS WHINE  :D

Mageeka

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2006, 06:21:21 AM »
A C
Did she live in St judes walk?

AL CAPONE

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2006, 10:13:39 AM »
MAGEEKA HAIR BROTHER PAT LIVED THERE I THINK

craigyroo

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2006, 01:36:20 PM »
Van is brilliant and all, but I heard he is an arrogant so and so anyone eles hear something similar. ???

Christopher

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2006, 05:54:48 AM »
Hiya Folks,

Does any one remember a jazz singer Patsy Malarky? She used to sing with the Jim Daly Blues Band. I asked Jackie Flavelle about her one night a couple of months ago. He remembered her name but does not know if she if still singing, indeed if she is still in the Belfast area.

Christopher

Twocoats

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2006, 11:27:36 PM »
van Morrison started the group THEM with Alan Henderson on bass. Alan Lived on the Cregagh estate , Burntollet way opposit George Best. These two were the mainstays of Them with various other famous musicans. When Morrison left THEM Alan took over the name and played in the southern USA. Here Comes the Night was a fantastic song along with Baby Please don't Go and Gloria. They were actually better than the Stones in those days. If anyone knows the whereabouts of Alan Henderson please let me know
Twocoats

Mageeka

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2006, 02:39:44 AM »
Twocoats
Wasn't there another guy who played with"Them" called Jackie Mc Cauley

Christopher

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2006, 02:58:33 AM »
Hiya Mageeka, I googled and came across a Brainy History site. You need help sometimes :D
Is this the guy?  Jackie McCauley (Born in Coleraine 14th December 1946) rock pianist  with Them

Twocoats

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2006, 03:12:29 AM »
Them was a Northern Irish band formed in Belfast in 1963, best known for the garage rock standard "Gloria" and launching singer Van Morrison's career.

The band featured Van Morrison on vocals and harmonica, Billy Harrison on guitar, Eric Wrixen on piano and keyboards, Alan Henderson on bass, and Ronnie Millings on drums, with other musicians replacing or contributing during the life of the band.

The group released its first single, "Don't Start Crying Now"/"One Two Brown Eyes", in August 1964. The single was a flop. The band's managers and producers then hired session players Jimmy Page, Peter Bardens, and drummer Bobby Graham to back Morrison on a cover of Big Joe Williams' "Baby Please Don't Go". The single, which featured the now-legendary "Gloria" as a B-side, was a smash in the UK, sailing to #10 on the charts in December 1964. The band then released its biggest hit in the UK, "Here Comes the Night"/"All for Myself", which hit #2 in March 1965 (it went to #24 in the US that May). Later that year the instrumental "Mystic Eyes" reached #33 in the US. (The following year American band Shadows of Knight had a top ten US hit with their rendition of "Gloria".)

The band released two albums on Decca, Them and Them Again, both of which failed to sell, and in mid-1966, Van Morrison left the group to pursue a solo career. The rest of the band continued on into the early '70's, releasing four albums and touring steadily after relocating to California around 1967. Two of these post-Morrison albums,Now And Them and Time Out! Time In For Them, found the band experimenting with psychedelia. Van Morrison went on to greater success and fame as a solo artist, but Them's combination of garage rock, blues, and soul proved a major influence on the next generation of rock musicians, and the group's best-known singles have become staples of rock and roll. Them reunited briefly in 1979 without Morrison.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Them_%28band%29"

Christopher

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2006, 03:46:12 AM »
A couple of friends of mine did a bit of singing .. for pleasure .. no pay unless you call a pint or two, set up to quench the thirst, payment. One .. Nelson Heron .. died in the month of April last year. Some of you may have met him. He could produce a CV the length of your arm. Among the places he worked were an accountant's office in Belfast, the TAB at Castlereagh, Farrans at Dunmurry and McCauseland's Car Hire in York Street .. that is only a small number of the places where he worked. He was mad keen on cars and trains. He did a bit of navigating in local motor rallies. His singing companion is a very good friend of mine. His name is Mike. I'll not mention his surname. I will do my best to persuade him to join the Forum as I am sure he would enjoy the crack here. Les, if you went on to Inst from Inchmarlo, you may know him.

Anyway Mike and Nelson regularly sang traditional Irish songs, including the rebel songs, at the Anglers Rest in Ardglass after a day fishing for a variety of strange looking fish at the end of the pier. I did not sing but I had no objection to being handed a pint or two from the locals thanks to the lad's efforts. On one occasion, I regret I was not with them although Mike's Mum and Dad were (they were like two big kids and usually came along too), they were at a hotel somewhere in Co. Donegal. They went out to a pub for a pint or two where they started a good sing song, the place was soon packed and people were enjoying themselves. The landlord told them to stop singing so naturally, being reasonable people, they obliged and went down the street to another pub. I bet that landlord regrets that action as before long the bold boyos were singing in the pub down the street and had been joined by the audience from the first pub. Ach sure those were the days.