Author Topic: belfast singers  (Read 34738 times)

mikee

Re: belfast singers
« Reply #195 on: August 20, 2009, 03:05:40 AM »
I heard Gerry Anderson talking about the Belfast Cowboy- Al Burrowes. I remember Al travelling with a concert group back in the late 50s.
There was also, in that party, a Canadian called David Holman who was married to a N Ireland girl. He taught singing from his home and he did several fifteen minute broadcasts with the BBC. He left Northern Ireland in the late sixties to Join the Saddlers Wells Opera.
Then there is George Burrows, Belfast cowboys son or the Irish answer to Roy Orbison now living in Ballycastle

Kalundu

« Reply #196 on: September 28, 2009, 05:51:08 AM »
To UlsterStan.

I suspect that you were in Joe Nabney's class at the same time as I was. On my last visit to Belfast (December 1992) Jow came and picked me up and we had a talk together and he spoke about his class and specifically mentioned Stanley Sloan. I have been trying to find out whether he were still alive. But it will be a case of "He being dead yet speaks" for we have all the records of him AND the Templemore Choir. So we will put our CDs away and get out our old records of him.

Thanks for the information. Thomas Leary. Greetings from CLEVELAND. QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA.

btom

« Reply #197 on: October 24, 2009, 06:32:49 PM »
Hiya All,

I was looking for an Irish tenor called Jimmy Kennedy who used to sing with The James Young Show when it did a summer season in Bangor. I searched for him, with no success, on Google but I found this guy, Seamus Kennedy http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seamuskennedy11 . Seamus was birn in Belfast, completed his education at UCD and emigrated to the States. These sites where you are able to listen to guys singing are great, aren't they.

ChristophER
Hi
I am new to this website and I just came across your letter looking for info about Jimmy Kennedy. He is a good friend of mine and I would see him about four or five times a year. Jimmy lives in Bangor and is still going strong, Although this last couple of years he has been having a bit of trouble with his vocal chords. He will be all chuffed that some people still remember him!

Mr Bojangles

Brian McCann and the Dockers club.
« Reply #198 on: September 24, 2010, 11:20:12 AM »
Remember years ago going to the Dockers club in Pilot street and watching a marvelous singer called Brian McCann.

He had a very powerful voice and used to have the audience in the palm of his hands every Sunday afternnon.

Is he still around and did he make the big time?????

floral

« Reply #199 on: September 24, 2010, 01:41:25 PM »
Brian still singing in the Dockers Club. Saw him a few weeks ago

Astor

« Reply #200 on: September 24, 2010, 01:50:59 PM »
Anyone remember Clodagh Rogers from Newry. I remember meeting her when I was about 12, my friend's brother lived next door to her :smile:
Que Sera Sera

Astor

« Reply #201 on: September 24, 2010, 01:51:52 PM »
Forget to put - she sang "Jack in the Box"
Que Sera Sera

Mr Bojangles

« Reply #202 on: September 24, 2010, 02:50:02 PM »
Remmeber really fancying her...didn't even know she was from Norn Iron!

Astor

« Reply #203 on: September 24, 2010, 03:35:47 PM »
Not heard anything about her for years, she seemed to just disappear, must google her.     She was lovely when she was young though - ye missed your chance :girl_blum:
Remmeber really fancying her...didn't even know she was from Norn Iron!
Que Sera Sera

rose60

« Reply #204 on: September 25, 2010, 06:34:17 PM »
Van is brilliant and all, but I heard he is an arrogant so and so anyone eles hear something similar. :scratch_ones_head:

Well the man himself says hes shy  ::) ....i went to see him live in Edinburgh two years ago ..He was fab ..people dancing inthe aisles but did he speak one word to the audience NO...hid behind his big hat ...grumpy old git ..lol
You die if u worry u die if u dont so why worry

sean d

« Reply #205 on: September 25, 2010, 09:49:11 PM »
you can not be talking about van morrison? He never sang a song you could dance too! but he is great to listen too.
live everyday as your last, because some day it will be :)

Astor

« Reply #206 on: September 25, 2010, 09:56:05 PM »
Surely you can dance to "BROWN EYED GIRL"   SEAN ?
 :party:
Que Sera Sera

sean d

« Reply #207 on: September 25, 2010, 09:59:36 PM »
IT would have to be a moody.always my favourite..
live everyday as your last, because some day it will be :)

Imalilstar

« Reply #208 on: April 03, 2019, 02:36:22 AM »
anyone remember a singer that was around different parts of belfast called Belle Crowe i believe.  She played at the Bellevue up the antrim road
Belle Crowe used to be in The Melotones along with my brother David Chapman

jillyfred

« Reply #209 on: April 04, 2019, 07:43:16 PM »
I went to Romano`s a lot in the 1960`s and the Melotones played there often.
They were a great outfit.

jilly