Author Topic: belfast singers  (Read 35230 times)

BLOOMFIELD

Re: belfast singers
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2006, 03:58:32 AM »
Craigyroo

Van is brilliant and all, but I heard he is an arrogant so and so anyone eles hear something similar. 

I like his music, but he gets a zero for stage presentation.
He lived off Bloomfield Road (Hyndford Street---one of his songs is called "On Hyndford Street" )
I lived on Bloomfield Gardens and saw him on the road often.
He used to strut around like a little banty [censored], with his hair almost to his waist, at a time when crew cuts were the rage. My mates and I used to laugh at him (but he got the last laugh, eh ? )
The first time I saw him on the TV in CANADA, I thought it sounded like Van, but this guy had no hair !!! I would never have recognised him.
A few years back they put a commemorative plaque on the house on Hyndford Street where he lived---he refused to come to the unveiling of the plaque---maybe he did not want to be reminded about his humble beginning.

I got out my Van CD'S and have just read the words to ''On Hyndford Street ", and as usual my eyes got moist again, he really captures what it used to be like living in Belfast , and Bloomfield in particular.

Anybody that writes and sings like that can't be all bad  8)
Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

Mageeka

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2006, 04:09:17 AM »
Bloomfield
He was an arrogant little man and I know of many musicians who refuse to perform with him
As for playing sax . He should have been a gentleman and kept it in its case ;)

Christopher

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2006, 01:18:51 PM »
Hiya All,

I was looking for an Irish tenor called Jimmy Kennedy who used to sing with The James Young Show when it did a summer season in Bangor. I searched for him, with no success, on Google but I found this guy, Seamus Kennedy http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seamuskennedy11 . Seamus was birn in Belfast, completed his education at UCD and emigrated to the States. These sites where you are able to listen to guys singing are great, aren't they.

Christopher

Twocoats

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2006, 02:16:02 PM »
van Morrison is very popular in Canada. Pompous, yes. Arrogant, yes. Chanter. Pretty good for wee man from East Belfast. "Brown Eyed Girl" one of the top songs played in the world. His version of "Cleaning Windows" is down to earth and true. He obviously helped the window cleaner. I had the fortune to be able to help the windy cleaner in the Cregagh Estate on Satuday mornings. Best money I ever made.
"I was on the bottom with the vee"
TC

rosiejane

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2006, 05:43:01 PM »
Christopher -

A Jimmy Kennedy wrote the famous 'Red Sails in the Sunset', recorded by many people including Brian Kennedy (no relation, to my knowledge).  If you 'google' with those combinations you will get plenty of results.  Of course it may be a different Jimmy Kennedy you mean!

EllCee

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2006, 07:14:45 PM »
Hiya Folks,

Does any one remember a jazz singer Patsy Malarky? She used to sing with the Jim Daly Blues Band. I asked Jackie Flavelle about her one night a couple of months ago. He remembered her name but does not know if she if still singing, indeed if she is still in the Belfast area.

Christopher

I met Patsy a few years ago, pre 2000, at a party in the house of a friend of my wife. And she appeared in the BBC programme "The Show" which Rosie worked on.  I don't know if she is still singing professionally.

I didn't know Nelson sang a few bars now and again.  But then I didn't really know him all that well.  Or you, for that matter.  I've learned more in two weeks than in the previous years!   :'(
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Christopher

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2006, 07:29:56 PM »
Thanks Les for telling us about Patsy.

I thought I knew Nelson reasonably well but I suppose unless you are writing a biography of a person
there are huge chunks of the lives of close friends that you never know. Life is full of surprises. 
Nelson and my friend Mike also sang in the Queens University Choir.

EllCee

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2006, 07:34:51 PM »
My.  That comment sounds as though there's a long conversation by a log fire, a long pipe and a long drink to go with it.   ;)
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Mageeka

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2006, 07:14:31 PM »
Rosiejane
I  do believe "Red sails in the Sunset," is actually and old WW2 song, revamped in the late fifities early 60s

Christopher

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2006, 07:24:23 PM »
"Red Sails in the Sunset" was written and published in 1935 by Jimmy Kennedy and Hugh Williams
Jimmy lived for a while in Portstewart and he remembered one beautiful summer evening when he was living there. This provided the inspiration for him to write "Red Sails" Among other fine songs he wrote were "Love is Like a Violin" and "South of the Border" which people may recall being recorded by a guy called Arthur Tracy
(The Street Singer). 50 of more than the 2000 songs written by Jimmy are all time popular classics.

Mageeka

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2006, 08:00:26 PM »
It was as popular during WW2 as Lilie Marleene  etc

arkie

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2006, 08:03:41 PM »
TAB HUNTER,  AND FATS DOMINO.  RECORDED RED SAILS IN THE SUNSET.

Christopher

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2006, 08:58:41 PM »
Rightio! Belfast Singers .

Harlandic Male Voice Choir
Police Male Voice Choir
Queen's Island Victoria Male Voice Choir

Mageeka

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2006, 12:05:58 AM »
Arkie
Tab Hunter and Fats did the "Remake:"
BTW
Wher's ya bin ???

Christopher

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2006, 05:13:47 AM »
Ah yes, I remember them well :D Those well known Belfast singers .. Tab Hunter and Fats Domino :D

OK Belfast Singers - Ernie Robinson, used to work in Maxol on the Ormeau Road. The late Des Morrow, a BT journalist, was a choir boy with the St Anne's Cathedral Choir and his Dad, W. D. Morrow was a good singer too.  The Methodist College Senior Girls Choir won the Sainsbury's Choir of the Year Contest in 2001 and 2003 .. a great achievement .. the first choir to win this competition twice. I did not realise it but the College also has a Chapel Choir and their achievements are as good as those of the Senior Choir.  The Chapel Choir were UTV Choir of the Year and Songs of Praise Senior School Choir of the Year in 2004