Author Topic: Belfast and the Famine  (Read 2318 times)

Christopher

Belfast and the Famine
« on: August 16, 2006, 04:21:22 PM »
In Belfast, a privately funded relief committee in Ballymacarrett gave soup to over 12,000 people daily, about 60% of the local population.

eddiec

Re: Belfast and the Famine
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 02:07:39 PM »
Chris

While information like this is interesting it dosent mean much without info such as who were the committee, when where they set up or where the reference came from.
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

Christopher

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 03:39:49 PM »
Hiya eddie, Seán Stitt's article in Irquas Insight No 2 a magazine about New Perspectives in Irish Studies on The Roles and Attitudes of Irish Protestants during the Potato Famine refers to the Relief Committee in Ballymacarrett in early 1846. Seán lists sources at the end of his article. My first short message about the Relief Committee arose because I noted mention of it in an article by Christine Kinealy on the Cork Multitext Project website

Belfast was full of such Societies in the 1850s. Apart from the Belfast Poor Law Union .. would you like a list of the members of that organisation (they are listed in the 1852 Directory of Belfast and the Province of Ulster), there were others including the Charitable Society and the Society for the Relief of the Destitute Sick. The Ballymacarrett Committee is not shown in the 1852 Directory but I've no doubt that Christine and Sean both checked their sources very thoroughly. 

eddiec

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 03:52:21 PM »
Thanks Chris... I had a quick skim over and will go back and read them more thoroughly later.
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>