Author Topic: Prefabs at Houston Park, off Castlereagh Road.  (Read 6312 times)

weedotty

Prefabs at Houston Park, off Castlereagh Road.
« on: March 22, 2008, 06:23:34 PM »
Does anyone out there have any photos of the prefabs that ran to one side of Houston Park..there were private homes on the right as you came off the Castlereagh Road?  There was also a street to the left of Marina Drive with prefabs on both sides of the road. When I was last back, all of the prefabs are no longer there, so one has a clear view of the park.

babsbing

Re: Prefabs at Houston Park, off Castlereagh Road.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 05:19:42 PM »
re Prefabs I was born in a prefab 41 Botanic Bungalows Ormeau Embankment

bnf

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 10:38:17 AM »
babsbing,
next you'll be telling us tommy james practised on your piano,
or derek murray wrote his bits for the tele sitting in your kitchen.
bnf    ;)
" The Fox knows many things,
    but the Hedgehog knows one big thing. "
    ARCHILOCHUS.

stig5882

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 08:30:57 PM »
I also lived in a prefab on the Old Cavehill Road in the 60's
family names... Kelly, Connor

Gerri

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 09:19:57 PM »
I lived in a prefab in River Terrace off the Ormeau Rd

bazzyt23

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 01:03:02 AM »
I think the road 2 the left was marina drive cause the park is 2 the right.
urban legend has it that there was a US base in the park 2 oversee the POW's in orangefield primary school and the prefabs were built by them?????
they were there untill v late 60's early 70's and then absorb into the park.
remenants of the road are still there i think

Rosielee

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 01:51:04 PM »
We lived behind the Orangefield Prefabs, in Manna Grove, as children we watched them being build my brother and his friends used to make a nuisance of themselves nicking all the Yale keys, and hiding them the builders used to go mad. They were there many years a really nice complex, they were built and owed by the 'council', we had many school friends there.

Orangefield School (Marina Park) never opened as it was need for a POW hospital mainly Italian prisoners, they were treated very well, our local GP looked after them. and my brother and friends used to hang around the gates, and the prisoners would give them money to go and buy them fish and chips, no doubt they would be small portions by the time they got back, having had to go to Richies being the nearest chippie.The school opened as a school in 1946. the fields behind during the war were built up with nissen huts to house families that had been bombed again a good complex. They were pulled down shortly after the war ended Grosvenor Grammer school, Orangefield girls and boys schools are on that site now. ;D :D

yourpete

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 12:52:54 PM »
Hi weedotty,

If you are looking for photographs I suggest you contact the Housing Executive via this link - they have a large historical collection. It dates from 1970's so you might be lucky as I think they were being knocked down about then. If not ask them who holds earlier stuff.

http://www.nihe.gov.uk/index/about-us-home/media_centre/media_resources/picture_library.htm

The road off Houston Park opposite  Marina park, I think was called  "Orangefield Bungalows". If anybody has a street directory from after the war years,  they could check.

Peter
 :)
Genealogy is like my sock drawer - you find one and its ages before the other turns up!

vinnym

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 10:22:11 AM »
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=26657

interesting news footage about prefabs on the way to belfast

eileenmcphillips

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 08:55:09 AM »
I lived in Orangefield Bungalows, they were not demolished until late 1968, both orangefield school and the grammer school were already built before then. as each family moved out of their wee bungalow a company called Jebb's took the prefab down in sections, we left it in 67. and moved to knocknagoney. I have one photo of one end of the street if anyone's interested email me

Tommy Beattie

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 04:18:24 PM »
I lived at 64 Orangefield Bungalows and remember you Eileen. I also remember Charles Vance and Joe Spence.

eileenmcphillips

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 08:54:32 AM »
Ack, hello Tommy, remember you too,  hope youre keeping well, I got a picture a while ago of the *wee meetings* we used to go to every week in our street,, all the kids sitting round the *circle* at the top of the street..lol :)

Wilms

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 09:58:03 AM »
Hi just seen this post - I used to live in 60 Orangefield Bungalows Wilma Starrett we left there in1961 and moved to Orby Road (very upmarket lol). I would love to see any photographs anyone has. I went to Orangefield Primary and then Orangefield Secondary. 😀

evielee

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 08:32:49 PM »
Hi there Wilma! I just noticed your post, a blast from the past 😁. You probably remember me, I lived across from you in Orby Road and was your sister's best friend. How is Lorraine doing?