Author Topic: ex Irish Guards  (Read 25007 times)

ned

Re: ex Irish Guards
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 10:23:01 PM »

I am trying to upload this pic as a test. It worked

Ned :)
Be careful out there folks because they aren't.

ned

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 10:24:51 PM »

Here is the other pic of the Irish Guards.

moorsy

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 05:58:14 PM »

great photos Ned.   Old family shots ?
i,m out of my mind,but feel free to leave a message.

ned

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 10:21:24 AM »
Hi Moorsy

No I got them off a site a few years back but it closed down not long after.
Which I had some names of the men in the pics.

Good luck

IrishInOz

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 09:55:56 AM »
Great photo Moorsy, looking good in smart casuals. You don't get that much at all now, I have even seen Jeans in the Mess, those guys would have been hung drawn and quartered for that.

I served in Penang/Butterworth in the late 60's, early 70's and the civilian dress standards were very strict, even when off duty.

From memory in Military Messes/Clubs, long pants, long sleeve shirt and tie were required after 7pm and as you said Jeans in any of those establishments was a big NO NO!

IrishInOz

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2009, 11:52:07 AM »
Further.

I guess the wearing of jeans in the Mess would now be the least of their problems. ::)

Warning: The following contains language that may offend those who have never lived in barracks.

.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=129132/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=0.html]Click Here To View Information

ned

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 04:26:30 PM »
I know you mean well but your link is very offensive. This is a community website for people to refer to. Please try putting your trash in some other place.

Ned >:(

moorsy

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009, 04:44:41 PM »

Hi Ned, just going back to your photos, those rifles look like lee-enfield 303,s with the full stock.

Had a sports version for years,very versatile rifle, could handly 150grain up to 300grain shells.

IrishInOz

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 09:40:04 AM »
I know you mean well but your link is very offensive. This is a community website for people to refer to. Please try putting your trash in some other place.

Ned >:(

The topic was on the Irish Guards who are infantry soldiers and whose objective is to seek out the enemy, engage them at close quarters and kill them. You were warned that the article on an illegal immigrant joining the Irish Guards could contain language that may offend and if you chose to read it then that is was your decision and I certainly would not regard the article or the Army Rumour Service Website as 'trash'.

The Army Rumour Service, even though it is an unofficial British Army website is considered by military personnel throughout the world to be an excellent resource for discussion and support on related social, welfare and professional issues of the British and other Allied Armies.

ned

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 09:41:28 AM »
Hi Moorsy,

Yea and from what I know the basic Lee Enfield model would still be one hell of a rifle for distance even by todays standards. Apart from the fact they weigh a ton. I saw and handled one while visiting the Collins Barracks muesum last year. By the way I started a bit of a debate on another site with my photos as to where they were taken. I thought it was the Curragh, but someone said it was somewhere in England.

regards

ned

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 10:00:09 AM »
The topic was on the Irish Guards who are infantry soldiers and whose objective is to seek out the enemy, engage them at close quarters and kill them. You were warned that the article on an illegal immigrant joining the Irish Guards could contain language that may offend and if you chose to read it then that is was your decision and I certainly would not regard the article or the Army Rumour Service Website as 'trash'.

The Army Rumour Service, even though it is an unofficial British Army website is considered by military personnel throughout the world to be an excellent resource for discussion and support on related social, welfare and professional issues of the British and other Allied Armies.

As I already explained this website is a community based and lead site. And you can put all the proviso's you like, the fact is that barrack room racism is still racism no matter what why you cloak it friend. The point I am also making is that you should not have put such a link on a site that is in the main dealing with people who are looking up their ancestry.
The fact that you find such infantile and racist humour so funny that you decided to share it with us on the Belfast Forum, speaks for itself.

Ned

IrishInOz

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 10:44:57 AM »
As I already explained this website is a community based and lead site. And you can put all the proviso's you like, the fact is that barrack room racism is still racism no matter what why you cloak it friend. The point I am also making is that you should not have put such a link on a site that is in the main dealing with people who are looking up their ancestry.
The fact that you find such infantile and racist humour so funny that you decided to share it with us on the Belfast Forum, speaks for itself.

Ned

Firstly I didn't find it funny, the fact that an illegal immigrant was able to join the British Army is not funny and I go back to the point that despite the warning, you chose to read the article.

Secondly, from my experience in browsing through this Belfast website, I find it to contain a lot more content than 'people looking up their ancestry' and in fact many of the forums contains many current and historical issues with accompaning images associated with Northern Ireland that many people would find to be distressing, to say the least.

ned

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 07:19:34 PM »
Firstly I am glad you did not find the subject funny that is to your credit. But as for an illegal immigrant joining the British Army. Do me a favour.

The British Army have had every sort of immigrant and race in it's ranks at sometime or other. It even had Germans as it's figure heads during WW1 or haven't you heard about the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha mob or Windsors as they like to be known.

Any way hope you enjoyed our little tet-a-tet. Have a bonzer day.

Slan agus dia duit.

ned :)

moorsy

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 07:38:18 PM »

The photos might have been at Warley Barracks in Essex, especially if they were off 2nd Battalion

As to non-traditional recruits, a Zimbabwean called Christopher Muzvuru was killed in Iraq in 2003.while serving in the Micks.

harrydunn

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 10:42:43 PM »
The 303 Lee Enfield was standard issue for the R.U.C. right up to the 1960s replaced by the S.L.R.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy