Author Topic: ex Irish Guards  (Read 25005 times)

moorsy

Re: ex Irish Guards
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2009, 10:46:13 PM »
The 303 Lee Enfield was standard issue for the R.U.C. right up to the 1960s replaced by the S.L.R.

Used to call that rifle " the plastic spastic."
i,m out of my mind,but feel free to leave a message.

ned

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2009, 10:55:03 PM »
Plastic Spastic? I'm almost afraid to ask. But here goes,Why?

Ned ???
Be careful out there folks because they aren't.

moorsy

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2009, 11:09:43 PM »
Plastic Spastic? I'm almost afraid to ask. But here goes,Why?

Ned ???

I dont really know Ned,other than it was,nt wood, had a weak action and weighted about 10 lbs.  Fired the NATO 7.62 shell (the winchester 308 ) and made in Belgium did,nt help.   But lots of guys liked them.

harrydunn

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2009, 11:13:00 PM »
the only thing good about them was their lightweight and as the name suggests Self Loading. the old lee enfield was a bolt action and very accurate in the right hands.

IrishInOz

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2009, 11:15:51 PM »
Firstly I am glad you did not find the subject funny that is to your credit. But as for an illegal immigrant joining the British Army. Do me a favour.

The British Army have had every sort of immigrant and race in it's ranks at sometime or other. It even had Germans as it's figure heads during WW1 or haven't you heard about the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha mob or Windsors as they like to be known.

Any way hope you enjoyed our little tet-a-tet. Have a bonzer day.

Slan agus dia duit.

ned :)

Ah, now you're being patronising and no, I did not enjoy our 'little tet-a-tet'.

moorsy

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2009, 11:21:20 PM »
the only thing good about them was their lightweight and as the name suggests Self Loading. the old lee enfield was a bolt action and very accurate in the right hands.

Those old 303,s could take a licking and keep on ticking,and with a fast shell like a 110 grain,had a great kick to them.

ned

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2009, 11:24:19 PM »
Hi Moorsy

I am just glad my new "friend" from OZ doesn't have one handy. As I have a funny feeling I might be on the wrong end of one if he had.

Ned :)
Be careful out there folks because they aren't.

IrishInOz

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2009, 11:25:20 PM »

I dont really know Ned,other than it was,nt wood, had a weak action and weighted about 10 lbs.  Fired the NATO 7.62 shell (the winchester 308 ) and made in Belgium did,nt help.   But lots of guys liked them.

I think it depends on what you are used to; I have handled both weapons but more so the SLR which I was very comfortable with both as an operational weapon and for cermonial drill.

Prior to my retirement I was introduced to the Steyer which in comparison to the SLR felt like a toy.

moorsy

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2009, 11:26:39 PM »
Hi Moorsy

I am just glad my new "friend" from OZ doesn't have one handy. As I have a funny feeling I might be on the wrong end of one if he had.

Ned :)

come on you two behave.

moorsy

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2009, 11:27:39 PM »
I think it depends on what you are used to; I have handled both weapons but more so the SLR which I was very comfortable with both as an operational weapon and for cermonial drill.

Prior to my retirement I was introduced to the Steyer which in comparison to the SLR felt like a toy.

I heard that about them.  Did you use the OZ. version of the F.N.??

IrishInOz

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2009, 11:39:27 PM »

I heard that about them.  Did you use the OZ. version of the F.N.??

Yes but as I was about to retire I only had a passing interest in them. In regards to the SLR and ceremonial drill movements -- the Australian Federation Guard still retains the SLR for ceremonial drill.

moorsy

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2009, 11:44:14 PM »

the F.N. early models had a bad recoil in auto-mode,and climbed up badly. And the bolt never seems to seat the same on auto. Was,nt very accurate.

roy231

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2009, 09:04:30 PM »
looking for joe whiteside ex guards 72 till 75

tboy

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2009, 09:19:10 PM »
anyone remember tommy lynch from dublin  in the early sixties guards?

Tookey

« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2012, 01:34:32 AM »
Hey! Moorsy,,,,John Tooke here,,,remember? Joe Williamson, Benny Hill, and me had a 'group' in the Batt; you mentioned the Capstan Bar,,it has gone now, me, joe, benny , jimmy crilly, sammy richie, davy maxwell etc used to drink there,,it was a good spot,,,,take good care of yourself,,,,,,,,so-long!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy