Author Topic: Buck Alec  (Read 92826 times)

AL CAPONE

Re: Buck Alec
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2006, 07:47:02 AM »
Who was Freddy hughes?????

he sold fish then

Mageeka

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2006, 08:00:56 AM »
So did Wazzy Rogan

stu

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 08:42:38 AM »
I am related to Buck Alec (sort of) - he was my grandfathers half brother.  He was actually deported from America and lived on the Shankill with his lion.  He had still contacts in USA that sent him cuban cigars

Mageeka

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2006, 04:42:25 AM »
You are right Stu
He was deported ,but at his own request to the British Embassy
He may have lived in the Shankill at some very, very  short time, but I know he lived in the vicinity of York ST for most of his life.

arkie

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2006, 03:37:51 PM »
MAGEEKA,  WAS MOLLY MALONE EVER IN THAT BAR? I KNOW RED BOOTS MALONE WAS. ;D

giannineo

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2006, 11:06:34 PM »
According to a mate of mine,Buck Alec lived around York Street.My mate's father was a 'peeler' and when walking the York Street beat in the early hours a wee Philipino sailor ran full blast in to him.The sailor had been drinking in a bar in the area and Buck Alec brought him home.The sailor needed a widdle and was shown to the outside loo in the back yard.Upon seeing the lion the sailor needed more than a widdle and took to his heels and ran back towards the docks and his ship when he collided with the big'peeler' and was in a state of fear.When asked what he was up to,the sailor explained about the lion in the back yard and the subsequent fright he received.The big 'peeler' laughed,explained and helped the frightened sailor back to his ship.
             There y'are now,powerful stuff.

clown

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2006, 04:56:17 PM »
Someone really should get around to writting a book about Belfast's colourful characters, who was the guy from the Shore Road who went up to Bellvue and took a bite out of a python because some fellas were teasing him about being scared of snakes
You know you can't keep angry at me for long

Christopher

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2006, 07:03:25 AM »
I am related to Buck Alec (sort of) - he was my grandfathers half brother.  He was actually deported from America and lived on the Shankill with his lion.  He had still contacts in USA that sent him cuban cigars

Jaysus. We have some characters on this Forum. Two of yiz related to Belfast "hardmen"
You a step grandchild of Buck Alec, Stu, and Colette a niece of Seamus Doyle. Is there a relative of Stormy Weather, Silver McKee or Blair Mayne who has not yet told us about their relative. Are there people who have "hardmen" relations who have not been mentioned in the History of Belfast. Lets hear about more of these guys please. Was anyone related to the two guys who sometimes appeared at the junction of Donegall Road and Bradbury Place wearing long handled saucepans on their heads? 

Best Wishes, Christopher

Christopher

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2006, 04:57:48 PM »
You are right Stu
He was deported ,but at his own request to the British Embassy
He may have lived in the Shankill at some very, very  short time, but I know he lived in the vicinity of York ST for most of his life.

Hiya Mageeka, why the heck did Buck Alec make a request to be deported? Do you know why?

beegee

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2006, 04:56:43 AM »
I,m  a York St man  and he lived in Back Ship St, I had the pleasure of having a pint with him on one occassion, he was in the company of my Uncle   "Bat Moore' another character from the York St area.  They were in the pub on the corner of York St and Whitla st, I was "paying my respects " to them as I had just paid off my ship ans was heading up to the town--the Buck told me to see and "behave ' myself!     I had to have a laugh at that!

orangelil

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2006, 12:16:22 PM »

Stu - do you by any chance have a family tree?  I am also related to Alexander Robinson.  Would be interesting to see if we are related!
McGarvey (Cookstown), McAree (Monaghan), Rice (Saintfield), McDonald (Ballinderry), Totton (Ballinderry), Thompson (Belfast), O'Raw (Randalstown)

orangelil

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2006, 12:18:15 PM »
if anyone has any info on 'buck alec' and his family I would really appreciate it.  I am interested in him, but also the rest of the robinson family.  thanks
McGarvey (Cookstown), McAree (Monaghan), Rice (Saintfield), McDonald (Ballinderry), Totton (Ballinderry), Thompson (Belfast), O'Raw (Randalstown)

Mageeka

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2006, 03:36:52 PM »
Lill
You may want to pay a visit to Joe Graham , publisher of the Rushlight Magazine  I believe that he wrote a few articles on  Buck

orangelil

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2006, 04:27:56 PM »
just emailed him. thanks very much!

cos

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2006, 09:35:28 PM »
My late father knew Buck Alec.He raced greyhounds as a young man at Dunmore Stadium in North Belfast.My father witnessed a fight between Buck Alec and Silver McKee outside Dunmore one night.He recalled Silver won the fight easily but then went off in a taxi with Buck Alec!God knows where they went.