Author Topic: Buck Alec  (Read 92837 times)

Mageeka

Re: Buck Alec
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2006, 03:35:26 PM »
Cos
Just found an article on the Dunmore fight.
Seemingly at the end of the fight more violence erupted with the crowd, which then developer into a full riot .
The police had to be called  and there were many arrests

cos

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2006, 04:48:14 PM »
Very interesting! Actually my dad did say that he reckoned it wasnt a fair fight as Buck Alec was a wee man and about forty at the time and Silver was twice his size and in his prime-early twenties.Still you have to admit those guys had guts!!

Mageeka

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2006, 05:14:18 PM »
Cos
Did you ever hear of another tough merchant from the Markets named Davy Rocks?

cos

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2006, 05:30:06 PM »
Hi Mageeka,Just heard Rocks name mentioned but no good stories!

joskillen

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2006, 01:01:56 AM »
I heard about one of the Spears boys from east Belfast who was quite the scrapper I heard he bit off a piece of a guy's ear outside the the bar on the corner of Templemore Ave& Newtownards Rd. Ach sure it was like a wee murder picture outside the White Star every Friday and Saturday night .It was at the corner of Kenilworth St ,
my mother wouldn't let us out after eight on the weekend nights. Okay guys where is Lavery's bar . Did anyone know Tipsy Gillespie? I remember he used to go to the Painters Hall in Dee Street He was a a nice guy
but people would say if they were scared of someone that they would get Tipsy after them.

Gingerlynda

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2006, 06:21:28 AM »
Hi,

I just came across your post.  I am Alec Robinson's Granddaughter.
I was born in Belfast, but live in the States.  I visited him many times
over the years before his passing.
How exactly are you related to him?

Christopher

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2006, 06:28:37 AM »
Hiya Gingerlynda, this one could be compilcated :D Stu said the relationship was through his grandfathers half brother. Would we have to do a bit of division since Stu is a descendent? Does it depend which half? I think Stu would be a great grand half nephew to his grandfather's half brother. If he had been a full brother then the great grand comes in to play. You then need to establish the relationship between Alec and that half brother of the grandfather.  I hope you ubferstand the chart .. click to view.

orangelil

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2006, 05:36:29 PM »
Hi,

I just came across your post.  I am Alec Robinson's Granddaughter.
I was born in Belfast, but live in the States.  I visited him many times
over the years before his passing.
How exactly are you related to him?

Hi Lynda
Alexander was my great great granda' s brother's child.  So we are probably related.  Have you by any chance looked into your family tree?  I ask because although I am interested in him because of all the stories surrounding him, I am more interested in his dad and grandad.  If I can find out who Alexander's dad and grandad were, I'll know who my great great great granda was!! Really interested in finding out anything you may know.  Thanks, Karen
McGarvey (Cookstown), McAree (Monaghan), Rice (Saintfield), McDonald (Ballinderry), Totton (Ballinderry), Thompson (Belfast), O'Raw (Randalstown)

Christopher

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2006, 06:09:30 PM »
Does any one know if Buck Alec married ??? Are there any young Buck Alecs ??? Some time in the late 80s to early 90s I met a man who took a black panther for regular drives in his estate car. He lived somewhere along the Ards Peninsula.

Mageeka

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2006, 06:47:39 PM »
Lynda
You may want to conract Joe Graham who publishes, ?"The Belfast Rushlight"
He has written many articles on Buck
I need to warn you though, that some are not too, complimentary
However you may gain quite a bit of info

BEAUTIFUL

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2006, 07:16:21 PM »
MAGEEKA ARE YOU FELL OUT WITH ME??

Christopher

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2006, 10:07:39 PM »
Buck Alec used to take his toothless lion with him when he went to watch the wrestling in the Ulster Hall in the 40s. The lion obviously watched the wrestling very carefully as after the war, in the 50s Alec used to wrestle with the lion at Barry's Amusements in Portrush.

orangelil

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2006, 10:13:45 PM »
Does any one know if Buck Alec married ??? Are there any young Buck Alecs ???  
Christopher, he has a large family still living around the york road area.  He married and has a daughter called 'Babybear'.  I know he had sons as well but I don't know anything about them.  He had a brother who was very respected on the falls road where he worked as a supervisor in a local mill for many years.  He had a sister who ran a money lending business and his grandson was Brian Robinson, the UVF murderer, who was shot dead by the undercover officer 'The angel of death' a few minutes after shooting dead a Catholic in the Ardoyne.  
McGarvey (Cookstown), McAree (Monaghan), Rice (Saintfield), McDonald (Ballinderry), Totton (Ballinderry), Thompson (Belfast), O'Raw (Randalstown)

Christopher

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2006, 10:21:04 PM »
Many thanks Lil. I wonder what Alec's Da did for a living ???
Where did Alec get his lion ??? Surely not from The Pet Shop in Smithfield ???

orangelil

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2006, 10:27:36 PM »
as far as I'm aware the lion was a ex circus lion, though there are so many stories it's hard to tell. (maybe from the circus which was where the troxie cinema was...) I would love to know what his dad and grandad did for a living - it would get me one step closer to my ggg grandad!  The older members of my family remember my great grandmother Mary Ann Robinson wouldn't allow them to talk to 'that' side of the family.  She thought she was too good for them!