Author Topic: Buck Alec  (Read 92835 times)

White dee

Re: Buck Alec
« Reply #465 on: October 13, 2017, 11:33:31 PM »
A bit like a lot of others then ?          

Precisely Jack, glad you agree  :P
Justice for all the innocent/ unarmed People who were
Gunned down by the British Soldiers,
For no other reason then their religion,were murdered.

welder

« Reply #466 on: October 14, 2017, 11:40:25 AM »

Did Buck Alec use to control would be employees  crowds outside McCue & Dick ?
If the fates decree you're going to lose give them a damn good fight...

seanIRL

« Reply #467 on: March 18, 2019, 08:39:45 PM »
Delete

seanIRL

« Reply #468 on: March 18, 2019, 09:08:41 PM »
My Father, Jimmy Magill who was from McLeery St, always claimed to have tried to shoot Buck Alec and once showed me a mark in a wall in Gt Georges St which was supposedly caused by the bullet.  (Obviously he missed!)   Dad also went to the USA to work in the bootlegging, largely at the request of another York St expatriate Mickey Turk (Turk tried to recruit Dad becuse he had been a bookee's runner) but was kicked out of America by his brother and didn't make it as far as Chicago.  Mickey Turk was gunned down soon afterwards.

Can anyone tell me how to contact the person username suitcaseau ? The man he has mentioned here is my great grandfather Mickey turk and I'd love to find out more about him

Bread Basket

« Reply #469 on: March 19, 2019, 08:03:33 AM »
http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?action=profile;u=12782

You will see an option to Send PM

You will also see that this person has been inactive on the Forum since Jan 2015

Good luck

Bread Basket

seanIRL

« Reply #471 on: March 19, 2019, 08:19:52 PM »
http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?action=profile;u=12782

You will see an option to Send PM

You will also see that this person has been inactive on the Forum since Jan 2015

Good luck

Cheers breadbasket... I heard a rumour that my great grandfather Mickey turk had a bareknuckle fight with buck alec.. I'd love to know if it was true or not. I know Mickey had 2 professional fights in 1918 against Jerry shea and Peter mullen but he was a bare knuckle boxer before he went pro... unfortunately i cannot find any other records on him. Mickeys coach was called Jimmy McAnerney. If anyone knows if they did fight or if they know how to find old boxing records then please contact me. [/font][/size]

Bread Basket

« Reply #472 on: March 20, 2019, 08:17:07 AM »
Cheers breadbasket... I heard a rumour that my great grandfather Mickey turk had a bareknuckle fight with buck alec.. I'd love to know if it was true or not. I know Mickey had 2 professional fights in 1918 against Jerry shea and Peter mullen but he was a bare knuckle boxer before he went pro... unfortunately i cannot find any other records on him. Mickeys coach was called Jimmy McAnerney. If anyone knows if they did fight or if they know how to find old boxing records then please contact me. [/font][/size]

Sean, was Mickey known as Stoker Turk?

Bread Basket

seanIRL

« Reply #474 on: March 20, 2019, 12:23:32 PM »
Sean, was Mickey known as Stoker Turk?

Yes to both questions lol ... I already seen that record held on boxrec  and I've saved that census record to my family tree aswell. Apparently he was famous for bare knuckle fighting but I cant find a thing about that anywhere. My dad remembers his granny having boxing photos in the house in mcleery st. And she often would pull out newspapers clippings of his fights whenever my dad would visit.. I would love to see them photos but they're probably lost forever[/size]

WeeJoey1922

« Reply #475 on: June 15, 2020, 12:48:03 PM »
I am the grandson of a very very good friend of the Bucks. Wee joey from the east. If there is any family out there who would like to swap a few yarns about em. Hit me up. Dont want to hear any stupid msgs about him, the Buck or Freddie.  There all dead now, but I'll bet my b___s you wouldn't have said it to their faces.

allymac

« Reply #476 on: June 15, 2020, 09:23:57 PM »
I am the grandson of a very very good friend of the Bucks. Wee joey from the east. If there is any family out there who would like to swap a few yarns about em. Hit me up. Dont want to hear any stupid msgs about him, the Buck or Freddie.  There all dead now, but I'll bet my b___s you wouldn't have said it to their faces.
You're spot on there.
Support all our servicemen and women either at home or abroad.