Author Topic: THOMAS HERBERT MCMULLAN  (Read 2373 times)

bmcmullan

THOMAS HERBERT MCMULLAN
« on: April 15, 2008, 09:35:27 PM »
My father Thomas Herbert McMullan was born in Belfast June 24th, 1924.  He is the 2nd son of Thomas and Martha McMullan (nee Hale).  I believe that my grandfather worked for the newspaper and I have, also, seen a picture of him with the Queen Mother.  The oldest of the siblings was Trevor (who died a few years ago), then my father, then my Uncle Albert (passed on in the 1970s) and finally my Auntie Pat.  My Dad studied civil engineering at Queens University in Belfast and married Madeline Eustace on April 25, 1950.  Soon after they immigrated to Montreal , Quebec , Canada and had 4 children.  My Dad often told me that we had a great uncle Willie (he was my grandfather's older brother) and other relations still over in Ireland .  My father told me just recently that his Uncle Willie started the Maxol gas company many years ago and that he had been married to a woman called Sadie who, I believe, was his 2nd wife. 

I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who might put my me in contact with Uncle Willie's side of the family as my Dad has lost touch with them over the years.  Dad will be 84 in June so I don't know how much longer I(we) will have him and I thought that this might be a nice surprise for his birthday.

Thanks for your help.

Bev McMullan (Toronto, Canada)

Christopher

Re: THOMAS HERBERT MCMULLAN
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 03:40:05 AM »
Hello Bev,

Welcome to the Forum.

The link below tells a very small part about the business started by your Dad's Uncle William. If you send a private message to Forum member Alexander (who is an old school friend of mine) there's a possibility he may be able to assist. He has a book of addresses of former pupils of St Columba's College at Rathfarnham, Co. Dublin. One of the McMullan boys was there at the same time as we were there. www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,8428.0.html
Max, Noel and Malcolm McMullan, all grandchildren of William, are on the board of directors.

It might be worth your while sending a message to the Maxol Group in Dublin as well ... they might be able to put you in touch with a member of the family. www.estuaryfuel.ie/contact.html I'll post again if I can get a bit more information.

Christopher

bmcmullan

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 03:56:07 PM »
Thank you so very much, Christopher, for your informative response...it is greatly appreciated.  I should have first looked on the internet but didn't think about it (ok... I had a blonde moment).  I don't know if I want the personal address of one of my father's 2nd cousins(I think thats what they would be)  because it might be a quite a shock, to them, hearing from their father's cousin after so many years but it's a good idea to go to the Maxol website and perhaps contact someone there.  I do hope that their father is still alive because my Dad would be more familiar with him than he would with the sons. 
Have a super day!

Bev

Christopher

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »
Hello Bev,

A post on www.rootschat.com might be an idea as I understand that the McMullan family had connections in other Irish counties. RootsChat has a board for each of
the Irish counties as well as boards for all the counties and shires in Britain.

Christopher

ballykeel

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 05:53:15 PM »
Hi Bev,

Have sent you a pm re William McMullan.

Regards
Bkeel
'Love all, trust few, always paddle your own canoe'

giannineo

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 10:45:15 PM »
Bev, if it is the Mc Mullans of Maxol I believe there is an association with Newry .A firm on Ormeau Road Belfast dealt in Kosangas bottled gas and was owned by Mc Mullans.I think Mary Lennon of Lennon and Wylie website worked there. My grandfather came from Newry and helped a Mc Mullan out who came to Belfast from Newry.This Mc Mullan was invloved in Mc Mullans of the Ormeau Road firm.
try www.maxol.ie/about-us/company-history.html

bmcmullan

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 10:56:02 PM »
Thank you "giannineo" for your response.  What you said was very interesting as I have not heard of the firm on Ormeau Road.  I have forwarded your message to my mother to see if she could find out from Dad about this.

Much appreciated

Bev

giannineo

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 10:59:03 PM »
Bev, my mother knew the story re my grand father and one of the Mc Mullans. Mother is pushing 91 and a bit frail . but I will ask her and let you know of any info.
Mary Lennon is a genealogy expert and if it was Mary who worked at Mcx Muyllans I am sure she would help if she knew anything
 www.lennonwylie.co.uk
      There was someone on here who worked for Mc Mullans.

Christopher

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 11:35:02 PM »
I'm waiting to hear from a friend who spent his working life with McMullans.

giannineo

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 06:53:07 PM »
Hi Bev, I have phoned my mother tonight...her speech is not as good as previously and she is tired;so; the only info I could gather is as follows.My grandmother ws Annie Copeland from Sheepbridge near Newry.She was in some way related to the Mc Mullans but I am unable to find out any more.She married a James Johnston of Barrck Street , Newry and they moved to BELFAST AROUND 1912.They knew Newry Mc Mullans who also moved to Belfast.One was called Clifford and one went to Canada and then came back.They had relatives called Mac Anuff and Mcknights who stayed in Damascus Street ,Belfast. Sam Mc Anuff was the head of that family.My mother's cousin married a Jack Mc Cullough from Newry and he owned a garage called Magowan and Mc Cullough in Merchant's Quay ,Newry. Jack and one of the Mc Mullans would go to see the boxing matches in Ulster Hall , Belfast.Relatives of mine called Hamilton and Kennedy of Rockridge ,Newry, were good friends of the Mc Mullans.My grandmother would often chat with any of the Mc Mullans she met on the Ormeau Road.There were Mc Mullans from Dublin in that connection I believe.
    This probably not of much help but , but a wee bit of background.My grandmother died at almost 102 back in 1984 and the stories died with her .
   Hope you have more success in your quest. I am sure Christopher will come up with something more relevant for you.

giannineo

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 09:08:55 PM »
Have justremebered Bev, my mother mentioned  your grandfather working for the Belfast Telegraph.

bmcmullan

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 11:45:04 PM »
Hi "giannineo"
Thanks ever so much (again) for the information.  As I previously mentioned I ran this all by my mother.  She told me that my grandfather lived in Cavan and my grandmother's family owned a farm in Newry.   You are quite correct that Grandpa worked at the Belfast Telegraph...he was the editior and perhaps this is why he had a chance to meet the Queen Mother...hence the picture that we have. 
My mother, also, mentioned that she believes that Clifford was one of my grandfather's  and great uncle Willie brother and she, also, agrees that the MacAnuffs do figure in the family history.  It's all rather interesting isn't it?   
My mother told me that someone on Uncle Willie's side (she believes that he's one of the great grandson's) recently contacted my Auntie Pat (my father's sister) because he is put together the McMullan family history (family tree).

Please thank your mother for me and, of course, I thank you for all the work that you have done on my behalf and for all the information that you have supplied me.

Bev :D

Christopher

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 12:05:59 AM »
Tom McMullan was the Circulation Manager of the Telegraph in the 1930s and was Joint Editor when he retired in 1962. He spent fifty two years of his life with the Tele. Malcolm Brodie's book about the history of the paper says that Tom was known as TMcM to the editorial staff and Shiney to the copy boys and girls.

turtski

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 11:27:52 AM »
Hi Bev, just checking if you are still active on this one as I have some further details on your McMullan family...