Author Topic: Sydenham  (Read 19885 times)

eddiec

Re: Sydenham
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 11:13:35 PM »
Checked the notices on my site and found this

Belfast Weekly News Dec 1894
SILBERRY: November 23 at 3, Brookvale Terrace, Sydenham, Belfast, the wife of E.J. Silberry, of a daughter.
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

eddiec

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 11:26:41 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just seen the thread EE and saw you've already found a copy of the notice on Janes site.
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

eastender

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 12:44:56 AM »
aye eddiec

it's one and the same as Mary's query.

Theres a present day Brookvale area up in the north of the city, at least according to Google Earth.

Also the 1880 street directory said there was a Brookvale something near Duncairn Gardens. Maybe Stan will know?
People want to know how much you care, before they care how much you know.

independentsoul

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 07:54:32 AM »
Had family, C. Taylor, believed to be Charles  at  23 Connsbrook up to 1945,  Other ancestors up to 1925. just wanted to chime in... :D

Dawn
Searching Surnames: Maternal side: Agnew, Campbell, Taylor, Thompson, Hutchinson, O'Neill.    Paternal side: Muller, Engelmann, Marshall, Corkran, Rev

Christopher

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2006, 08:27:24 AM »
aye eddiec

it's one and the same as Mary's query.

Theres a present day Brookvale area up in the north of the city, at least according to Google Earth.

Also the 1880 street directory said there was a Brookvale something near Duncairn Gardens. Maybe Stan will know?

Eastender 1880 directory Brookvale Avenue off Duncairn Street, Abercorn Terrace 1987 directory states Brookvale Avenue is at 256, Antrim Road. There's also a Brookvale Drive, Parade and Street in the same area.

ulsterstan

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006, 12:38:25 AM »
Actually Eastender I do remember Brookvale Terrace can't remember where it was but think it was off Connsbrook Ave about halfway down from Hollywood Rd.  I lived in Connsbrook Pk. at the bottom just before Larkfield.
Stan Sloan.

eddiec

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2006, 03:20:59 PM »
Hi Stan... I made almost the exact comment on Marys thread http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,1327.0.html

It was on Park Avenue nos 12-18

ulsterstan

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2006, 04:55:52 PM »
Ah yes  great minds think alike eh.
Stan Sloan.

naumai

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2006, 07:30:35 AM »
re brookvale ter,my wifes cousin lives at 13 park ave,I have been there many times,the opposite side of the street is the park ave hotel for quite a way down the street, then sefton drive and park was brookvale ter, there many years ago,as the hotel is quite old. must be we had our wedding reception there.

Christopher

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2006, 01:24:32 PM »
re brookvale ter,my wifes cousin lives at 13 park ave,I have been there many times,the opposite side of the street is the park ave hotel for quite a way down the street, then sefton drive and park was brookvale ter, there many years ago,as the hotel is quite old. must be we had our wedding reception there.

Hiya naumai, I'm not certain how old the Park Avenue Hotel is .. it was a guest house when the Stephens family bought it. There's a link on the Forum telling some of the history of the Park Avenue

eddiec

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2006, 11:00:09 PM »
There used to be a snooker hall in Park Avenue... about half way up... I remeber my dad taking me in when I was a nipper... although it was just for a moment as he was calling in to see someone... anyone remember it?

ulsterstan

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2006, 09:15:06 PM »
I remember the snooker hall well we used to try and sneak in and they'd boot us out ,seems i remember reading a topic about it somewhere but can't remember where.
Stan Sloan.

ozzie

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2006, 04:11:10 AM »
I was born in Sydenham, Victoria Road in the 50's.  A lot of my family lived in the same street and my daughter will be going back to see it in a few weeks.

ulsterstan

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2006, 04:18:51 AM »
Hey Ozzie  did you know Helen Bird  she lived in the first big house on theleft as you come down the hill from Larkfield.
Stan Sloan.

eastender

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2006, 04:28:02 AM »
boutye ozzie?

Are y'down under mate?

Did y'go to the college of knowledge on the Holywood Road?  ;D
People want to know how much you care, before they care how much you know.