Author Topic: Sydenham  (Read 16414 times)

yardman

Re: Sydenham
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2006, 08:36:48 AM »
I remember the walks on a Sunday afternoon/night along the Holywood Road . They where the days .
yardman

BernieM

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2007, 03:40:52 PM »
I notice that you mentioned Jimmy Ferguson of the Irish Rovers lived in Hillfoot Street.  Jimmy was my uncle and my granny lived in Hillfoot street until around 1970 when she came and lived with us.  My sister Anne orginally lived with my granny and after she got married I went to live with her.

eddiec

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2007, 07:27:17 PM »
Do you know anything about the Stevenson's who lived in Hillfoot Street
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

BernieM

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2007, 07:45:33 PM »
I will ask my Aunt Betty who remembers everyone she also lived in Hillfoot Street.

eddiec

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2007, 07:50:56 PM »
Thanks Bernie...
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

giannineo

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2007, 09:42:12 PM »
eddiec, I was jsut asking via the thread "has anyone heard from Colette" had anyone heard from Eddiec and up you pop....hope you are well and back on board,cheers, G.

ulsterstan

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2007, 05:30:21 AM »
Bernie i lived in Connsbrook Pk . for a few years and Jimmy was my best pal  we used to go to the Oval  and  he used to go to the wee Friday night meetings in the Methodist church  then  say don't tell my ma , he was always singing then . I was in touch with his sister up in Toronto area for a while but lost touch  and i'd seen Jimmy a few times when he was down N.Calif. way  and he had a home in a nice country town  Petaluma  about 30 or 40 miles north of San Francisco as well as a home  up in Vancouver.  One of the best  he was.     Stan Sloan.
Stan Sloan.

craigyroo

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2007, 02:54:30 PM »
My Great uncle Nelson ( Gaw ) is from this area he emigrated when he was about 19 hes in his 50's now hes now living in New York ,

I went out to him recently there  he picked me and my fianceť up at JFK wearing his Glentoran scarf ;D I went out to him recently there, I'm now living off Connsbroke ave. It's strange to think he was running about the area I call home 40 odd years ago he now has two homes ( one in NYC and one in Florida ) and has done brilliantly for himself but despite all this he is still sentimental for a time when he was back home even though he had nothing back then.

I envy his life though talk about the American dream.   O0

BTW do any of you lot know of the Chapmans living in this area of East Belfast, Origionally English i think ?  :-\

bangerbob

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2007, 03:28:52 AM »
There was a Chapman who had a barbers shop on the Newtownards road , his son Sam played for Manchaster United.

ulsterstan

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2007, 03:56:57 AM »
Yea  I remember Sammy Chapman   played for the Glens in the 50,s.
Stan Sloan.

elliepat

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2007, 02:41:08 PM »
I went to Sydenham Infants school in '50's then moved up to Strandburn St primary before going to Ashfield Girls secondary.

Had an aunt lived in Strandburn drive. another on Connsbrook avenue.
It hasn't changed that much, I've lived abroad for years expected to see huge changes, but glad to say it's still as I remember it.

ulsterstan

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2007, 06:37:08 PM »
Did   you know  any of the Begg,s family   or Stan and David   ''Ginger'' Sloan        21  Connsbrook Pk.
Stan Sloan.

elliepat

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2007, 10:21:17 AM »
ulsterstan
No don't remember those names remember Greenlaw, Gillespie, Gatenby (sp) McCords all in Strandburn drive, I didn't live there the aunts did.

I lived in Inverary ave, near railway station as a child. There's a Fold there now!

ulsterstan

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2007, 05:55:27 PM »
Ok   thanks,    .
Stan Sloan.

yaffaDina

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2007, 06:56:44 PM »
I went to Sydenham Infants school in '50's then moved up to Strandburn St primary before going to Ashfield Girls secondary.

Had an aunt lived in Strandburn drive. another on Connsbrook avenue.
It hasn't changed that much, I've lived abroad for years expected to see huge changes, but glad to say it's still as I remember it.

Me too.  The big change for me is the field behind Connsbrook Park has been built on.  It was a big part of my childhood playing there.
yD