Author Topic: The McShanes from East Bread Street  (Read 30007 times)

belfast bairn

The McShanes from East Bread Street
« on: May 11, 2008, 10:28:06 PM »
Just wondering if anyone on the forum recalls this family?  They lived at 51 East Bread Street from at least the forties till the homes were torn down.  With 11 children (including my Mum Betty McShane Armstrong) I thought I might find some old friends or relatives.

BLOOMFIELD

Re: The McShanes from East Bread Street
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 05:26:47 AM »
 When did they tear it down :o

I suppose Steens Row has also gone  :-\
When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

belfast bairn

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 11:01:25 AM »
I was last there in the early 80's and it was still intact.  I will have to check my Mum's memory about the timing.  That street was very long originally.  My Granda's last job was at the ropeworks and my Aunt Jeannie worked at Inglis's for years until they shut down.  My Granny was moved into a little flat across the street when it was ready for her.  Indoor toilet with a tub and no more stairs for her to climb.
From what I can see on a map the street is still there sort of but you cannot travel from one end to the other anymore.  It is divided and renamed.

ulsterstan

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 03:30:43 AM »
I  recall the  McShane,s in the late 40,s and 50,s    when they  came into my uncle,s chipper  across the street  from   East Bread St.
Stan Sloan.

Wendl

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 09:28:13 AM »
Hello Ulster Stan....

Do you have any recollection of the "Crowe's" from  106 East Bread street???? Caroline and Robert Crowe...had the following children...Thomas, Robert, John, Caroline Sabina and Mae...

All the best
Wendy
When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compete or compare.....everyone will respect you!
Lao-Tzu

bnf

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 03:43:47 PM »
When did they tear it down :o

I suppose Steens Row has also gone  :-\

steen's row, both front and back, are gone. according to
multimap ( front ) steen's row is now elmgrove road.
bnf     :(
" The Fox knows many things,
    but the Hedgehog knows one big thing. "
    ARCHILOCHUS.

ulsterstan

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 08:32:34 PM »
If my mum was still around i'm sure she'd   know the McShanes  and Crowes as she just about knew everyone in East Bread St.  The names are familar to me but  it's been over 50 years i'm gone  from the area.       
Stan Sloan.

ulsterstan

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 08:38:29 PM »
A friend sent me this site   hope it comes up   some  good photos in the gallery  section.   communitygreenway.co.uk          around Elmgrove and Connswater.             

Stan Sloan.

marlyne

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 11:35:53 PM »
Hi
My husbands granny  Florance Blackstock lived
at 47 Eastbread street . many years ago .

belfast bairn

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 11:07:06 PM »
My Mum has mentioned both the Crowe family and Mrs. Blackstock.  Another neighbour mentioned often was called big Aggie.  I think she was resposible for my addiction to Carmac bars.  I would be sitting outside my Granny's in my pram and Mum would come out to find me with a piece of one in my little hand. 

Wendl

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 08:07:52 AM »
Hiya....

Caroline Crowe was the only member of her immediate family (the Close's) to stay in Belfast....
she was my Granda's sister....everyone but her immigrated to Canada between 1923 and 1928.

If your Mummy has any insight on Caroline I Would love to hear.....she died long before I was even thot of.

All the Best
Wendy
When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compete or compare.....everyone will respect you!
Lao-Tzu

belfast bairn

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
Wendy,
 I am sorry but my Mum read your message and said she didn't recall Mrs. Crowe.  She must have passed away before Mum was born or when Mum was very little.  She is sorry she couldn't help you with any little insights or memories.
I am trying to get my folks to join the site here.  I really think they would enjoy it but neither of them types.  I told them my daughter or I would do their typing when required.  I am sure they would meet many people here with so much in common.

Wendl

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 04:33:28 PM »
Good Morning belfast Bairn....

I thank you for taking the time to see if your Mum remembered our Caroline...your right she was probably quite young.

I'm sure your family would quite probably enjoy the site as well...and more than likely bump into some old neighbours and friends.

All the best
Wendy
Lao-Tzu

headbanger

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 10:55:08 PM »
There is a Derek McShane living in Newtownards,he is originally from East Bread street :)

belfast bairn

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 02:33:34 PM »
That is my Uncle Derek.  We are still in touch with our family back home.  My Mum is the only one of 11 children to have left Ireland.  How do you know Uncle Derek headbanger?