Author Topic: The McShanes from East Bread Street  (Read 31200 times)

Biffo

Re: The McShanes from East Bread Street
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2010, 07:18:20 PM »
Just wondering if anyone on the forum recalls this family?  They lived at 51 East Bread Street from at least the forties till the homes were torn down.  With 11 children (including my Mum Betty McShane Armstrong) I thought I might find some old friends or relatives.
There may be no connection, but there is a lot on Google about Buster McShane if you google his name.   

belfast bairn

« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2010, 11:10:46 AM »
Buster is a relation to my McShanes.  A cousin to some degree.

rusty

« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2010, 10:42:11 PM »
I lived in East Bread St. I know nearly everyone who lived on that Street, I lived opposite the Mchanes , my name was Irvine, I would like to hear from anyone out there who remembers the Irvines, my Dad had a photographic shop on the Beersbridge Rd just opposite Grove Baptist Church.                                                                                                 
HI IM GOBSMAKED. MY MUM IS BARBARA MOORHEAD SHE LIVED WITH HER GRANPARENTS MARY AND HUGH IRVINE IN EAST BREAD STREET . HER GRANDA IRVINE HAD A PHOTOGRAPHERS IN BLOOMFIELD AVENUE. MY MUM WAS HARD OF HEARING AND HER AUNTS WERE JEAN JESSIE AND SADIE. SHE ALWAYS REGARDED HERSELF AS AN IRVINE AND STILL DOES. I KNOW YOUR POST WAS A WHILE AGO BUT MAY BE U WOULD GET IN TOUCH.

Ireneeyden

« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2010, 02:25:06 PM »
Does anyone know of the Martin Family from East Bread Street?. Hiram Martin who went on to live in the Braniel?

belfast bairn

« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2010, 09:31:32 PM »
Yes my Mum knows them.  June, Pat, Samuel and Hiram.  Mum says they were a very nice family.  She recalls he married a Minnie Boyd also from East Bread Street possibly from number 19.

ulsterstan

« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2010, 05:23:42 AM »
We have a guy just joined the Exiles,  Larry Brown   he lived  on the Beersbridge Rd.  across  for the Co.  from 49 to early 60,s  anyone recall the Browns.
Stan Sloan.

paddles

« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2010, 01:51:28 AM »
I don't know anyone by name in East Bread Street but walked it most days to my Granny's place in Bloomfield Crescent, her name was Gracie Dowey and my Grandad was George Dowey, Mum is Thelma Dowey (Haile) and she has a sister called Grace any one know anything??

mcd

« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2010, 12:53:49 AM »
I don't know anyone by name in East Bread Street but walked it most days to my Granny's place in Bloomfield Crescent, her name was Gracie Dowey and my Grandad was George Dowey, Mum is Thelma Dowey (Haile) and she has a sister called Grace any one know anything??
    Hi paddles. .nice to meet you   I lived in Bloomfield St  i don't remember that name  but have a brother and sister who may remember them   two people i do remember from the Cres  Grant McDougall and the McMordies
Light travels faster than sound, This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

RH

« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2010, 02:15:18 PM »
Betty

Sorry, but I can't remember his name.

The lad I'm thinking of, lived on the left hand side of the street, as you went

towards the Newtownards Road.  ( I think  :smile: )

At that time, the Honda motorcycles were just coming into Belfast, and he had the biggest one.

Hi Bloomfield   i knew most motorcycle guys in the bloomfield area around that time.  Ronnie Ramsey lived at the top of bread st and had an Aeriel Square Four  next door to the off licence on the Beersbridge rd (opposit Jamsie McElwaines  Fish and Chip shop (That was our meeting point every night for months  :D
The only other motorbike owner in Bread st was Jamsie Morrison  who  had a James motorbike
John Mackie lived off Bread st east and had a Norton Dominator  John and his wife died in a tragic gassing accident about a week after getting married when the gas fire in their new unit blew out during the night.another friend Clifford Grey had a Honda but he lived in Avoniel rd  though he spent a lot of time around Bread st east

mcd

« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2010, 02:40:08 PM »
Jackie Hagen was the one who lived in East Bread St on the left hand side going towards Newtonards Rd    I think there is mention of him futher back in the posts 
Light travels faster than sound, This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

belfast bairn

« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2011, 03:35:54 PM »
" I don't know anyone by name in East Bread Street but walked it most days to my Granny's place in Bloomfield Crescent, her name was Gracie Dowey and my Grandad was George Dowey, Mum is Thelma Dowey (Haile) and she has a sister called Grace any one know anything?? "

Hello Jill,  I was just talking to my Mum who grew up on East Bread St and knew your family a little bit.    Thelma worked with my Mum in the linen factory which she thinks was called Bloomfield Factory.  Both your Mum and Aunt went to East Bread street school and went to the same place for sunday school.  Mum recalls some of their friends being Sadie Moore, Freddie and Violet Mee (sp?) and the Mc Murty family children all of Bloomfield Crescent,  Mum recalls your Granda bringing home the Stewart van every night after work.   Mum says a lovely quiet family is how she remembers them.  They also had another member of the family who lived with them.  He was an Uncle perhaps who had been shell shocked during the war.  Mum remembers him standing at the corner and everyone would pass him a Hello.  He didn't ever really answer anyone but Mum says all the neighbours would keep a wee eye on him to make sure he was ok and didn't wander off.  She remembers him being very gentle but so within himself.
Did your Mum not marry an American fellow and immigrate?  My Mum seems to recall that as well.
Hope some of this helps Jill.  I am sure my wee Mum can tell you lots more.  She is the former Betty McShane of East Bread Street.

LJ

« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2011, 09:06:09 PM »
Hi I am a new member and I was wondering if anybody new of a Minnie Allen who married Thomas James Johnston they lived in 46 Teutonic Street in the 50s and had five children - 2 boys Samuel and Robert and 3 girls Georgina, Helena and Linda.  They then moved to orangefield bungalows in 1960s. The older children Samuel, Georgina and Robert went to Blythfield Primary School in the late fifties and then Orangefield School in early sixties.  Their mother Minnie died of cancer after the youngest child Linda was born and all the children were took into care.

Minnies mother was a Mrs Georgina Allen who lived in Bloomfield Road and had a wee sewing shop in Newtownards Road and her sister was a Nell McIlroy who lived in Sunny Street.

Sadly the children have no pictures of the mother or father and I was wondering if anybody out there knew of this family or knew of any photos of which Minnie or Thomas might be in.  Also if anyone had any Blythfield or Orangefield school photos which any of the children might be in it would be so lovely to get as they have no photos of anything of either their parents or childhood which I think is quite sad.

McShane girl

« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2011, 09:32:04 PM »
I've loved reading all the posts about the McShane's of East Bread Street.  The family home was number 25, where the eight children of Joseph and Ellen (Nellie or Nell) McGinty McShane grew up.  They were William Alexander(Alec) (1904?);Joseph jr.; Ellen Agnes; Elizabeth (Lizzie); Marion; Thomas Hunter; Jeanette (known as Jean) and David (1922). A baby by the name of Daniel (named after a great uncle) died as an infant. My Dad was the youngest- wee Davy- and after his parents died in the late 1920's, he was raised by his older sisters, Ella and Jean.   Ella ran Mr Macky's shop for 50 years, from the time she was 14 until she was 64. She never married. The shop was across the road from the home of Joe jr and Mary (May) Mcshane.  Aunt Ella- as she was known to all the kids on the street, was loved by all for her kindness and her common sense.  Jean developed juvenile reumatoid arthritis during the war, as a result of lying out in the fields to escape the bombs, and she was the housekeeper at #25.  she married Louis Stinson, a bread van driver, from Coleraine in the 1960's
I have lots more stories, Belfast Bairn, so I hope you get this little introduction. 

mcd

« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2011, 10:23:05 PM »
I've loved reading all the posts about the McShane's of East Bread Street.  The family home was number 25, where the eight children of Joseph and Ellen (Nellie or Nell) McGinty McShane grew up.  They were William Alexander(Alec) (1904?);Joseph jr.; Ellen Agnes; Elizabeth (Lizzie); Marion; Thomas Hunter; Jeanette (known as Jean) and David (1922). A baby by the name of Daniel (named after a great uncle) died as an infant. My Dad was the youngest- wee Davy- and after his parents died in the late 1920's, he was raised by his older sisters, Ella and Jean.   Ella ran Mr Macky's shop for 50 years, from the time she was 14 until she was 64. She never married. The shop was across the road from the home of Joe jr and Mary (May) Mcshane.  Aunt Ella- as she was known to all the kids on the street, was loved by all for her kindness and her common sense.  Jean developed juvenile reumatoid arthritis during the war, as a result of lying out in the fields to escape the bombs, and she was the housekeeper at #25.  she married Louis Stinson, a bread van driver, from Coleraine in the 1960's
I have lots more stories, Belfast Bairn, so I hope you get this little introduction.

Hi there and Welcome McShane girl.   My Mum and your aunt Ella were best friends.  Ella was going out with my uncle Eddie and he wanted to marry her would you know anything about that?     ;)   

McShane girl

« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2011, 01:06:01 AM »
How interesting- I never knew about this.   I knew nothing about my Aunt Ella Mcshane's love life.   I think she became the glue that held her family together, after her parents died.  She had small children to look after and many of her other sibs were married or in relationships.  She would have been well on into her 30's when the youngest child left the nest. I would love the hear the story about her sweetheart. To me, she was always the kindest, most loving person.  We looked forward to her visits here in Canada and I still become weepy when I look at old photos.  Thanks for the hints at some mysteries in the past.