Author Topic: alliance road  (Read 35807 times)

poacher

alliance road
« on: May 16, 2008, 08:10:34 PM »
can anyone remember the name of the wee boy who drowned at peter hill baths in the early 60s,i think it was roddy somthing. i lived in alliance parade and went to school with harry white and mervin mcclean anybody know where they are now also arthur topping.

glenb

Re: alliance road
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 01:44:32 AM »
His name was Roddy (I remember him well) he lived with a single Mother, his house was really run down. He lived on Alliance Road right where it joined Glenbryn Park on the Mission Hall side. His next door neighbours last name was Officer.

I used to go up the entry behind their house and jump the wall to get into Glenbryn as a shortcut

His last name escapes me, his Mother has blonde/whitish hair..I used to go to Peter''s Hill in them days, I remember it well

glenb

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 01:46:05 AM »
Poacher do you remember Sydney Gililand, he came from around Alliance Parade in that era

poacher

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 06:27:22 PM »
yes i remember sydney he lived just down the street from me at no 16,the browns lived beside them.

glenb

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 07:51:47 PM »
Whatever happened to Sydney?? He was good friends with Jimmy Chambers, good footballer and dart player also

poacher

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 07:40:15 PM »
glenb,have not got a clue what happened to sydney,i think one of his brothers lives in millisle raymond i think.we left
belfast in 73, lost touch with everyone. took a drive up to alliance last year,didnot know the place.

glenb

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 07:58:27 PM »
Yes, it's all changed up Alliance way...remember the wee hardware shop up past Alliance Road and the gardens/plots at the back ...I supposed people grew vegetables there

kate

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 06:55:44 PM »
Yes, it's all changed up Alliance way...remember the wee hardware shop up past Alliance Road and the gardens/plots at the back ...I supposed people grew vegetables there
  I lived in alliance road and remember going to the Baby Clinic with my mum and there was a boy called Harry Haddock I think that was his name he was on crutches
Kay

kate

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 09:07:11 PM »
 I remember lots about Alliance RD I grew up there ,does anyone rember Harry Haddok the boy on crutches and he wore an arab headress we used to play cricket with if he lost he chasted us with his cricket bat,
is there anyone who remembers patsy & john Hanlyn
Kay

kate

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 09:16:15 PM »
I lived in Alliance Rd and went to Everton School 1 left  Belfast in 1966 and went to South Africa

i would love to here from other whom grew up in Alliance and sorounding streets   
Kay

glenb

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 04:57:53 PM »
I remember Harry, he used to go down to the Bone on the weekends (all the way on his crutches), he would play in goals....he had a bit of a temper

When I said Alliance Road and the wee hardware shop, I meant Alliance Parade, if you walked past Alliance Parade there was the shops and plots or gardens or something at the back

On Alliance Road close to Berwick Road on the playing field side there was a shop run by a wee woman out of her house.....then there was the garages with the field in front of them that lay between Alliance and Glenbryn

On Alliance Road there was a black person (one of the few that lived in that area around that time, also a big Ginger headed troublemaker, forget  his name

kate

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 09:29:50 AM »
HI Glenb it would see as though you knew the street well, I also remember the black lady in the mornings going to work in winter you could see her eyes they were all you could see of her ,she always waved to her husband good by , also the wee shop was run by Mrs Allen she had a daughter called Lorain  anyone know where she is now, do you remember Betty Baker and a family called Beers they were a big family Winston he went to Australia, his sister Rita also went I think,there was also Thomas he married a girl from Glenbryn called Doreen Guy, my my this is all bring back memories I had long forgotten I come from Alliance Road ,and there is none of my family left in N I, so I have lost touch with everyone                                                                      EEISH as they say in South Africa   
Kay

glenb

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 05:35:44 PM »
Doreen lived at the bottom of Glenbryn, nice looking girl. Her brother Jim I remember well also. Mr Guy ended up moving to the Ballysillian with the Ewings, Boyds and others. There was the Hanna's up Berwick, Orrs, Neals, Beers...others

poacher

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 06:45:28 PM »
the three  shops where at the top of alliance crescent, conners chemist,trinity traders hardwere shop and corbetts
the sweet shop.i was a paper boy for corbetts and got 10 bob a week.i went to wheatfield school with harry white from alliance road and david orr from the top of the road.

glenb

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 07:22:30 PM »
Poacher, at the back of the three shops what was all those gardens and plots, did someone own that land or was it a tenant garden type thing?? Also, across from the shops on the other side of the road do you remember that entry behind the houses?? I used to buy steeples for my catapult from the hardware shop and a bamboo pole with a net for sprickies at the Water Works....Also, if you went up Alliance Parade and cut into the playing fields, if you went right to the river remember the big grates that the water rushed into...Of course robbing orchies up the Deerpark road (the big houses that looked like mansions to me).,..innocent times