Author Topic: alliance road  (Read 36768 times)

poacher

Re: alliance road
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 08:36:32 PM »
they where plots for people to grow their own veg,do you remember the old farm at the corner of deerpark road i think it was called prices farm,talking about raiding orchies i remember sitting outside my house in the parade and geordie loughins running down the street throughing apples everywhere  and the police chasing after him on a motorbike.
the river that run thruogh the playing fields also ran down between etna drive and jamicia street  was it called the river farset?

glenb

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 08:50:49 PM »
Yes, it was the farset, that was why that area was basically a bog half the time

GEL0128

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 04:37:36 AM »
I remember that river.  I lived on the corner of Startford Gardens and Etna Drive.  My ma used to tell me to stay away from there, because I could get polio from the water LOL  The things they used to tell you when you were kids.

Anyway, I remember there were stepping stones across it, and a friend and I were crossing and I slipped on one of the stones and my foot went into the water.  I had water up to the top of my nice bright white knee sock.  Well, I couldn't go home with a wet sock...so I took it and beat it against the wall until it was almost dry...I went home with one grey sock and one white one! HAHAHAHA  Needless to say my ma wasn't impressed one bit!

they where plots for people to grow their own veg,do you remember the old farm at the corner of deerpark road i think it was called prices farm,talking about raiding orchies i remember sitting outside my house in the parade and geordie loughins running down the street throughing apples everywhere  and the police chasing after him on a motorbike.
the river that run thruogh the playing fields also ran down between etna drive and jamicia street  was it called the river farset?

kate

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 12:42:36 PM »
Hi there, I also remember dropping my wee brother in the same  river only at the top of the playing fields
side he was about 8 months old then, me mum told me dont take him out the pram just walk him  till he falls asleep, as usual I did not listen ,out he come and just happend to fall in the river ,he was blue with cold when I got him home ,and I told me mum he just fell in ,well she just give me the hiding of me life.

Do u remember Jim & Sean Lilian & Pat Burrows, and the twins Neil & Carol Timoney from Stratford Gardens,
what was the name of the shop on the corner of Etna Dr & Alliance Ave , Do u ember Leonard  Barns from Alliance Ave ,he was a toughie, );
Kay

glenb

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 07:09:08 PM »
Behind Etna drive on the Jamaica Road side you had all those huts, with the wet ground, the ever present dogs, it was some place. Yes I remember my Mother telling me about all the diseases from that river including polio, There was half a dozen shops corner of Etna and Alliance Ave including a Post Office..On the other side you had Sloans newspapers, chemist, fish and ship shot corder of Alliance Road and Alliance Ave. You also had shops on the the other side of Alliance Road  at the bottom on the same side as the Mission Hall. there used to be a petrol station across from Etna drive

wavey davey

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 11:15:14 PM »
Yeah! the rivers were filthy. Especially after heavy rain you would find Durex caught in the weeds. Innocent I was. Me and the mate filled them up with water and came down the street swinging them round. Got slaughtered by are Ma's and told never to bring them home ever again.
I went to the sunday school in the mission hall. Mr Forbes was the superintendent. A clinic was run in the hall and I remember mum getting the regulation bottle of Orange juice and cod liver oil. Boy!! did I detest the spoonful of cod liver oil. Told it was good for me!!! Just up from the hall on the other side someone sold toffee apples from their front door. The smell of toffee apples being made was powerful.

GEL0128

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 07:25:16 AM »
I remember a butcher shop on the corner where the Teddyboys used to hang around. The sawdust on the shop floor and the beef hanging up on hooks right in the front of the shop.  You'd never see anything like that today what with all the inspections and stuff they have.  Yet we never heard or worried about mad cow or ecoli or anything like that.

I used to get my weekly comics from the newspaper shop.  He would save them for me every week.  There was an ice cream/sweet shop as well.  My oldest sister worked there and also at the fish and chip shop across the road on the other corner. 

Behind Etna drive on the Jamaica Road side you had all those huts, with the wet ground, the ever present dogs, it was some place. Yes I remember my Mother telling me about all the diseases from that river including polio, There was half a dozen shops corner of Etna and Alliance Ave including a Post Office..On the other side you had Sloans newspapers, chemist, fish and ship shot corder of Alliance Road and Alliance Ave. You also had shops on the the other side of Alliance Road  at the bottom on the same side as the Mission Hall. there used to be a petrol station across from Etna drive

GEL0128

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 07:26:34 AM »
I remember Burrows, Mularkys, Clare Adams.  Marion Clarke and Ethna Savage from Etna Drive.

Hi there, I also remember dropping my wee brother in the same  river only at the top of the playing fields
side he was about 8 months old then, me mum told me dont take him out the pram just walk him  till he falls asleep, as usual I did not listen ,out he come and just happend to fall in the river ,he was blue with cold when I got him home ,and I told me mum he just fell in ,well she just give me the hiding of me life.

Do u remember Jim & Sean Lilian & Pat Burrows, and the twins Neil & Carol Timoney from Stratford Gardens,
what was the name of the shop on the corner of Etna Dr & Alliance Ave , Do u ember Leonard  Barns from Alliance Ave ,he was a toughie, );

kate

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 04:15:34 PM »
Glenb/ Wavey Davey/Gelo128/Poacher /  I think its great all the memories you have and its brings back other things to me ,i had forgot about , I asked my sister in England about this stuff she has a memory like an elephant ans says the red haired boy was Drew Martin ,and Yes now I remember him, He would start a fight if at the drop of a hat , and He teased the life out of cripple Harry, one day Harry hit him over the head with a crutch, we were all jumping up and down with glee , but he got us back later on he clobbered us,u could not win against the toughies ,  Who Remembers Tesie Matthews she was a tiney wee woman with 11 Kids and she took cheek from them ,I rem,ember her hittin 1 of them with a big shin bone in Taylors butchers shop one day Kate
Kay

glenb

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 06:22:14 PM »
Drew Martin...couple of us on here thought his name was "Marty", probably that was his nick name. I remember going to the wee shop on Alliance Road and getting a bottle of Shandy on Halloween, thought I was so grown up.
Kate, ask your sister did she remember, I believe it may have been a childrens home or something, hard to describe where it was, but it was at the top left of the playing fields, almost directly across from Wheatfield, there was a big building there at one time (actually facing the playing fields themselves)...In the playing fields there was a wee playground, I remember the roundabouts being chained up (N.Ireland law at the time for Sundays).. In the garages between Glenbryn, Alliance, Berwick we used to break in through the roofs and hide, if one of us got hurt in there no one would have found us...There was a family at the top of Glenbryn (Andrews) couple of brothers that were handfuls, really into motorcycles

poacher

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 09:29:12 PM »
glen
 in the 1954 street directory this large building was listed as the balmoral training school, was it not some type of borstal.

glenb

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2008, 04:24:12 PM »
Poacher, that's what I thought it was (a Borstal), I remember it being called that, when it was in decline we used to go into the grounds and wander around...always was a bit mysterious place...thanks for getting me this info, I've been thinking about it for 30 years wondering if it was my imagination

poacher

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2008, 09:05:34 PM »
Glen
 looked up an old 1901 street map of the oldpark and ligoniel.That building I said I thought was a borstal,in
 1901 its on the map as the foster green home.

frank woodside

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
hi any one remember me frank woodside 94 allaince road

breenbox

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2010, 09:00:27 PM »
Just came across this thread.
The lad who drowned in Peters Hill baths was called Roddy Manson.
The woman who sold the toffee apples aws calles Mrs Smart.
Also, someone mentioned Harry Haddock .. the lad with the crutches.
Well, believe it or not I bumped into him about three weeks ago. I hadn't seen him for nearly 40 years but recognised him straight away.
He was playing bowls for Cavehill Bowling Club.
He is confined to a wheelchair now but played a mean game of bowls.
Harry had a heart attack a few years ago but id now doing well.
By the way, although we all knew him as Harry Haddock, his bname is Harry Haydock.
You'll never plough a field by turning it over in your mind.