Author Topic: alliance road  (Read 36366 times)

patricia2

Re: alliance road
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2010, 01:57:18 AM »
I remember Harry, he used to go down to the Bone on the weekends (all the way on his crutches), he would play in goals....he had a bit of a temper

When I said Alliance Road and the wee hardware shop, I meant Alliance Parade, if you walked past Alliance Parade there was the shops and plots or gardens or something at the back

On Alliance Road close to Berwick Road on the playing field side there was a shop run by a wee woman out of her house.....then there was the garages with the field in front of them that lay between Alliance and Glenbryn

On Alliance Road there was a black person (one of the few that lived in that area around that time, also a big Ginger headed troublemaker, forget  his name

glenb

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2010, 07:34:43 PM »
Breenbox, Roddy was a good friend of mine and the McFalls that lived on Alliance Road (directly across from Roddy's on the corner of Glenbryn Park and Alliance Road)

Looking straight at Roddy's there was a gap between the next house, then next door to that Davy Officer lived, Davy had polio, and across the street from the Officers and down a few houses was the McCreadies

thanks for telling us Harry's real last name, cant believe hes still going god bless him

just sixty

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2010, 11:57:47 PM »
Hi Breenbox  I grew up in glenbryn / alliance 1949 to 1972 and know all those you are talking about.  Alan Gilliland was my first boyfriend.  Davy Mularky Stradford Gardens was next and Billy French etc etc.  We used to hang around Alliance corner every night.  Do you remember the twins who lived in Alliance Road just above glenbryn.  Matthews lived in the corner house before Glenbryn and Rodney (who died in Peters Hill Baths) lived opposite Glenbryn.  Rodneys mother was in hospital  and gave birth to another son the day Rodney died.  Patrick Gormley was with him at the time.  I worked with a girl called Loughran from Alliance Parade.  Marlyne Guy/millicent Mcadams/ Sandra Boyd/ marie Wilmot etc etc to name but afew.

Jess888

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2010, 09:21:35 AM »
Blast from the past..I lived in Glenbryn Drive...(Fisher)My nan on Berwick Road (Valente) Davy Officer used to hang out with us and play soccer etc...remember having a bet with him on juming a river I won he fell in all good fun...we also hooked up one xmas as we all got new bikes that year....was great to see him get rid of his braces a nice guy!!!!

Jack The Kipper

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2010, 06:55:36 PM »
Anyone remember the shoe repair shop opp the Mission hall on Alliance Rd..I loved going in there, the smell of the new leather was lovely (I can still smell it now) and next to it Lizzie Messa had a store where she kept her spuds etc for her chippy, she had a machine in there that peeled the spuds, very modern for the fifties era, behind it was the wee entry where there where some steps where we sat and had our wee sly smoke..I think the McIlwains lived 2 doors up from the shoe repair shop..nice people..Happy happy days long ago.
God bless President Trump.

glenb

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2010, 02:16:34 AM »
Anyone know what happened to Davy Officer, I made my first communion with him

Yes, remember the entry across from the Mission Hall (I used to climb on to the roofs of all the shops in that area). Remember an old dusty shop across from the Mission Hall and all it had in it was cabbages, and spuds if  I remember right...

greenwellsglory

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2012, 12:38:28 PM »
hi  to kate and glen
remember when there was snow we had a slide frem allisons house down the hill to gibneys at the power station busted knees and twisyed ankles were the order of the day if you were slow the guy behinh [censored] you flying cold as it was you never felt it until you warmed them at the fire at home then it nipped like hell.
playing football between the street lamps until it was dark drew martin used to play he was footless as they say he take the legs from under you you sliding tackles on concrete when the match was over we would sit on fosters wall and discus the forays of the day whatever the may have been.
any one remember aym the coalbrick man he lived at the bottom of alliance road he delivered on ahorse&carth he had one leg and his horse would bite if you got to close every thing was delivered to the door back then billy the milkman delivered by horse &cart as well new city lemonade ahh me head is running away with me  ps I loved the limeade

greenwellsglory

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2012, 08:10:04 PM »
there was a guy called Ivor Douglas lived on Berwick road a couple of doors up from the Midgelys the hannas lived on the same side Robert, Victor, Billy, Myrtle, next door to the cosgroves William &Eileen the Valentes
lived up the road from them they all left Ireland because of the troubles and went to Australia New zealand Canada and USA

SANDRAM

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2012, 02:58:33 PM »
Just been reading this thread and can relate to so many things that have been mentioned.  Poacher - you mentioned the Gilliland family and said that they lived a few doors down from you in Alliance Parade.  My cousins the 'Farrs' lived in no. 34 what no. did you live in?
Also, someone mentioned the 'Midgleys' from Berwick Road.  Edna Midlgley was my bridesmaid back in 1968.  Also the Beers family - I know of some that came to Australia.  Great memories of the playing fields and Price's Farm on those lovely long light summer nights!!

Sandram

breenbox

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2012, 04:44:35 PM »
Sandram

I knew a family called Beare from Alliance Road... possibly the same family you mention.
Last I heard, Raymond was living in  Co. Fermanagh and working as an architect.
Tommy still lives in Belfast, off the upper Antrim Road.
One brother died quite young (in his 20's/30's), think his name was William.
Harry went to Australia. I think there was another brother called Bobby.
They were a big family and i'm sure there were other brothers and sisters... alas the old  memory is starting to fade and I can't recall any other names.

Breenbox
You'll never plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

SANDRAM

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2012, 12:26:09 AM »
Hi Breenbox,

Thanks for the info on the Beare family.  I needed to have my memory jolted regarding their names.  I was in touch with Harry many years ago when he first came to Australia he came here with my brother Owen Murdock (we lived in Alliance Drive).  Also, met Raymond and his wife and children when they first arrived as well.  I think another Brother Winston and his family also.  Lost touch with them over the years.  Tommy was best mate with George Kelso who lived in Alliance Avenue - sadly George died when he was only 19. His sister Isobel is my best friend and we still keep in touch even though the miles divide us.
  P.S. do you remember a young lad called Jimmy Lindsay - he used to sing and play his guitar just around the corner from the power station on what we called 'the first height' in the playing fields - my favourite song he used to sing was 'Dream Lover' !! Gee! that brings back some good old sing-songs!!  I believe he also came to live in Australia.

poacher

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2012, 03:15:17 PM »
I lived up the street from the farrs in number 27, there was a jim farr I think?

SANDRAM

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2012, 04:06:49 PM »
Hi Poacher,

Yes - there was my cousin Jim Farr and he had two brothers - Victor & Sam, also two sisters - Eleanor & Maureen.  They all eventually went to live in N.Z.  How long did you live at no.27?  Did you know the 'Spences, McMillians, Glovers, Wilsons, Mrs. Moorehead?  What is your surname - maybe I know you.  My surname was Murdock. cheers!

Sandram

poacher

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2012, 05:08:40 PM »
I lived there from I was born until 1972, also remember the browns ,the gillilands,waterworths ,mrs young,mrs moore the bennetts.the forbes,the duncans and the three old ladies who lived at No23 the wilkinsons.

greenwellsglory

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2012, 04:46:43 PM »
ref Harry Haydock I knew his family well his father Henry and my father went fishing together a lot almost every week ( hence my id it is a well known fly used in rod fishing) his brother geordie went to australia in the late sixties he had an older brother called tommy.Harry was soccer mad he assumed managership of a team called berwick united.Here are some of the team members anyone know what happened to them and where they now in goals Harry Haydock full backs Patsy Hanlon, Paul Valente, half backs Jimmy Johnson ------------ left and right wing Errol Foster, Robert Hanna centre forward billy martin I remember we were unbeaten for 30 matches Robert and errol had fantastic skill on the ball.